October 23rd, 2008

POLL UPDATE: Obama ahead by 8

Sen. Obama waved before boarding his campaign plane Thursday after an event in Indiana.

(CNN) - As Election Day inches closer, Barack Obama continues to hold a significant lead over John McCain, according to CNN's average of several recent polls.

The Illinois senator now holds an 8-point lead over McCain in the latest CNN poll of polls, 50 percent to 42 percent. That lead is 1 point lager than it was in Wednesday's poll of polls.

The national general election poll of polls consists of four recent surveys: Fox/Opinion Dynamics (October 20-21), Reuters/C-SPAN/Zogby (October 20-22), Gallup (October 20-22) and Diageo/Hotline (October 20-22). The Poll of Polls does not have a sampling error.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • Iowa • John McCain
  1. jfs Memhis, Tn

Lets hope that by next week at this time its 12-15.

October 23, 2008 05:55 pm at 5:55 pm |
  2. Bob

This may be the truth, and it may be slightly skewed rhetoric. It doesn't matter, I've cast my vote for my beliefs. I don't care who you vote for, just get out and vote. Wake up, America! No more apathetic responses to who elects our leaders!!

October 23, 2008 05:55 pm at 5:55 pm |
  3. Shay

Go Bama Go Bama Go Obama you are the man. I vote I vote I vote now everyone else should to make the point higher higher higher.

Obama you have my vote in the bank.

October 23, 2008 05:55 pm at 5:55 pm |
  4. Aliou salam

Jackson 5, Madona, Oprah and Angelina Jolie, To campaign for OBAMA

October 23, 2008 05:56 pm at 5:56 pm |
  5. Jack

Obama should be ahead by more than that if the voters will listen to what each of the candidates are saying.

John McCain is promising more of the same Bush economic policy but, he says he'll get a different result from those same policies – I think that's insane.

October 23, 2008 05:56 pm at 5:56 pm |
  6. Aliou salam

McAin Robbot calls and lies turned me off. I have no respect for the man.

October 23, 2008 05:57 pm at 5:57 pm |
  7. Bob in Tenn

Good News, we can't stand a third Bush administration.

October 23, 2008 05:57 pm at 5:57 pm |
  8. Tim

Good news, but we will not let up. In the words of a famous coach, It's the 4th quarter and even though he have the lead, we are going to give the other team 40 minutes of pure hell. We are going to do this by getting as many to vote early and some, like myself are taking a day of vacation from work to drive people to the polls on November 4th!!!! We are fired up and ready to go!!!!

Obama/Biden 08!!!!

October 23, 2008 05:57 pm at 5:57 pm |
  9. Irma in North Carolina

I knew Obama would gain after Sarah said Obama will invite danger if elected. Man on Saturday he ought to gain a bunch after the Mccain camps sends out those other thugs to campaign for them.

October 23, 2008 05:57 pm at 5:57 pm |
  10. Chris

I hope that the polls are right, the only poll we need now is the Nov. 4th poll because between now and Nov. any thing can hapen.

October 23, 2008 05:57 pm at 5:57 pm |
  11. Kimberly in Azizona

When will mccain stop all the hate and fear based attacks and try to bring the right wing fringe of his supporters together and say, Obama may not be your ideal pick, but he is NOT scary he is NOT a terrorist, he is not going to tax everybody to death, and he is going to be a good president. He is tearing this country apart EXACTLY like bush did and its NOT a very American thing to do. He needs to stop this and he needs to do it NOW. He knows its over, but yet has turned up the hate and fear crap. Its shameful!

October 23, 2008 05:58 pm at 5:58 pm |
  12. tanyia

Can you say President Obama.

October 23, 2008 05:58 pm at 5:58 pm |
  13. frankie

When the election is finally over and Obama is our president, then I can relax. I don't trust polls, they can be misleading.

October 23, 2008 05:58 pm at 5:58 pm |
  14. Jeff in Illinois

Obama's lead is more than significant at this point. Moreover, polls do not reflect the effect of voter turnout. Most are expecting a much higher level of actual voter turnout among those voting for Obama. I wouldn't be surprised to see closer to a 60/40 popular vote win for Barack.

51% = "Mandate"

60+% = ?!?!?!

October 23, 2008 05:58 pm at 5:58 pm |
  15. That's what i'm talking about.

Bset news i've heard in eight years.

October 23, 2008 06:00 pm at 6:00 pm |
  16. EBJ in Texas

I wonder if the McCain campaign has noticed that every time they try to stick a label on Sen Obama, he just keeps rising in the polls. Unless these polls are total hogwash, and sometimes they ARE, people seem to be tiring of the Rove type politics of fear, division, and seperation the same type that won them the White House the past two elections. And the more Gov Palin opens her mouth the LOWER her ratings go. Maybe they will figure this out but it may be too late.

October 23, 2008 06:01 pm at 6:01 pm |
  17. Filipina

President Obama,,,,keeping you and your Grandma in my thoughts and prayers.

October 23, 2008 06:01 pm at 6:01 pm |
  18. Chi4Obama

Folks,
    I think we are witnessing the sinking of the McCain-Palin ticket right before our eyes. They are going down faster than the Titanic.

Even members of the GOP can see the writing on the wall.

October 23, 2008 06:01 pm at 6:01 pm |
  19. dEMOBRAT

DON'T LET THE MEDIA PICK YOUR PRESIDENT!!!!!!!!!!!!

October 23, 2008 06:02 pm at 6:02 pm |
  20. Thanks But No Thanks

Of course he's in the lead because Barack is the better man. America knows when someone is trying to pull the wool over their eyes, and it won't work. John has been campaigning all his life and he's feeding us the same lines that got him into office for 20 years. It won't work. He may make an okay senator for Arizona, but he doesn't have the temperament to run the country.

A man that mean spirited should never be near the nuclear code. He's vindictive and Sarah is just as bad. No, these cartoon characters should go back to to the two A's – Alaska and Arizona. One place is in the desert and the other is in ice country. Secluded places where no one cares how mean they are.

October 23, 2008 06:02 pm at 6:02 pm |
  21. Cathy Agu

America needs a steady warm fresh cool and hard Obama. Well done the Obama TEAM.

October 23, 2008 06:03 pm at 6:03 pm |
  22. values

LETS GET BUSY.

VOTE OBAMA NOV 4TH.

October 23, 2008 06:03 pm at 6:03 pm |
  23. payback

I hope what is being reported, is the case. But I'am afraid, that the republicans are planning on stealing this election................

October 23, 2008 06:03 pm at 6:03 pm |
  24. Rick

"Netherlands blogger Michael van der Galien reports that a group of young Dutch Socialists will be flying here to campaign for Barack Obama:
    They would travel to the United States to campaign for Barack Obama, the Democratic nominee for the presidency.
    In fact, one of the demands of potential applicants is that they need to have a “great affinity with the Democratic Party and Barack Obama.”

True story. Enough said.

October 23, 2008 06:03 pm at 6:03 pm |
  25. Chi4Obama

I hope this means that I only have to endure Grandpy McSane, and his Whiney pitbull for only 12 more days?

Then again, I wouldn't be surprised if the GOP pulled a rabbit out of their (hind parts), to steal another election.

October 23, 2008 06:04 pm at 6:04 pm |