October 23rd, 2008

POLL UPDATE: Obama ahead by 8

Sen. Obama waved before boarding his campaign plane Thursday after an event in Indiana.

(CNN) - As Election Day inches closer, Barack Obama continues to hold a significant lead over John McCain, according to CNN's average of several recent polls.

The Illinois senator now holds an 8-point lead over McCain in the latest CNN poll of polls, 50 percent to 42 percent. That lead is 1 point lager than it was in Wednesday's poll of polls.

The national general election poll of polls consists of four recent surveys: Fox/Opinion Dynamics (October 20-21), Reuters/C-SPAN/Zogby (October 20-22), Gallup (October 20-22) and Diageo/Hotline (October 20-22). The Poll of Polls does not have a sampling error.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • Iowa • John McCain
  1. PALIN is sick woman....

Yes we Can! OBAMA all the way.

October 23, 2008 06:10 pm at 6:10 pm |
  2. Obama Will Kill The Stock Market

The Stock Market is already pricing in a signifigant drop if Obama is elected President. If you think that the economy is bad now, watch and see if Obama is elected.
    Do not take my word for it, watch any news channel covering the market to get the truth. If Obama is elected thing are going to get real bad. If your going to raise the capital gain and dividend tax, and raise taxes on large corporations, what do you think are the effects on the economy?

McCain Save us.

October 23, 2008 06:10 pm at 6:10 pm |
  3. Marge

Who wrote it, obama himself...just wait til the returns start coming in. People aren't gonna pull that lever for him when they get in the booth. And besides the republicans are just getting around to obama and his FAKE CITIZENSHIP. HE AIN'T EVEN A CITIZEN OF THIS COUNTRY. If he was why won't he show his birth certificate. And how in the heck could Feinstein vet him for the job if she didn't look at the birth certificate to prove he was a citizen after the brou ha ha the dems made about McCain. Where he showed his birth certificate and verified that he was born in an American base and was a legal citizen....obama won't show nothing, but Kos faked up one for him.

October 23, 2008 06:10 pm at 6:10 pm |
  4. Flo

I will be keeping my fingers and toes crossed until the final results are in on Nov. 5th. Just about everyone I speak to is planning an election party on the 4th to wish Obama luck and spread some karma. People who support him are optimistic but cautious because of the last 2 presidential elections. we (Obama supporters) do not underestimate the RNC ability to steal elections. The only difference this year is Jeb Bush is not the Gov. of Florida but Bushies are all over the nation.

October 23, 2008 06:10 pm at 6:10 pm |
  5. dizizi31

The audacity of hope !!! Mr. Obama and God Speed "Toots" we're thinking of you too.

October 23, 2008 06:11 pm at 6:11 pm |
  6. John

Mark my words people this race is far from over.

If we do not go to the polls and vote for Barack we only have ourselves to blame for another 4 years of tyranny.

The media is trying to lull u into complacency

October 23, 2008 06:11 pm at 6:11 pm |
  7. Tiff of lithia springs

Yes he will! Because Yes we can!

October 23, 2008 06:11 pm at 6:11 pm |
  8. William A. Schaedler

The Ubited States has sunk to its lowest level when a fool like Obama can attain the office of President of the United States. Please awaken me from this nightmare.

October 23, 2008 06:11 pm at 6:11 pm |
  9. Hudson

Game over, man, game over!!

GO OBAMA/BIDEN!!!!!

October 23, 2008 06:11 pm at 6:11 pm |
  10. My State Is Blue! Yours Can Be Too!

Go Obama/Biden.
    You've got my vote!!!!

October 23, 2008 06:11 pm at 6:11 pm |
  11. Susan, GA

Last night I dreamt about Barack. He was giving a speech and people were clapping. I think he was in my dreams because I fell asleep with the news on. Anyway, it was a pleasant dream, and I hope someday his presidency will be a reality.

October 23, 2008 06:11 pm at 6:11 pm |
  12. Emily

Bless you and your grandmother. You always follow your heart and
    do the right thing. That is why I'm voting for you.

October 23, 2008 06:12 pm at 6:12 pm |
  13. Abby

VOTE VOTE VOTE!!!!

OBAMA 08!!!

October 23, 2008 06:12 pm at 6:12 pm |
  14. Marge

gee the only polls obama is UP in are the ones he takes....they are dead even in most of the states....those obama supporters maybe they ought to ask BOB to give them some of his pills.

October 23, 2008 06:12 pm at 6:12 pm |
  15. Michael P Goggins

What a shock that Fox polls are closer!!!! I forget is the Republican party a wholly owned subsidiary of Fox, or Fox a wholly owned subsidiary of the Republican party????

October 23, 2008 06:12 pm at 6:12 pm |
  16. Obama/Biden 08

Good election, John McCain. Let this be a lesson to Republicans: you can't pretend to be a maverick while clinging to failed policies.

October 23, 2008 06:12 pm at 6:12 pm |
  17. Dan

These "poll of polls" are of no direct interest to the electoral college count, but do give some vague information on the mood of the electorate as a whole. A movement of a single point is hardly news.

October 23, 2008 06:13 pm at 6:13 pm |
  18. Ryan in Texas

My vote is locked in. I voted for Obama on Tuesday.

October 23, 2008 06:13 pm at 6:13 pm |
  19. Liz T, Tucson

Keep working, keep calling, keep going door-to-door! Do not let up! Don't relax until the results are final!

October 23, 2008 06:13 pm at 6:13 pm |
  20. Faye from Florida

I have been watching CNN for days, weeks, etc. and it sure seems that you all give McCann more .... Always wanting to know what he can do to win. How come you don't give Obama the same ....... ????
    Underneath are you all Republicans? Sure seems like it.

October 23, 2008 06:13 pm at 6:13 pm |
  21. Lisa, WV

I love it. He has a 450 million dollar smile. I think I'll send another check, not for Barack, but for America.

Obama/Biden 08

October 23, 2008 06:13 pm at 6:13 pm |
  22. megan

Did you hear McCain say that all of Palin's new clothes will be donated to charity after the election! I bet that was news to Palin! For one, he's admitting that they will lose (and she won't need the clothes anymore)...and two, she'll have to go back to shopping at WalMart!
    I love this country!

October 23, 2008 06:13 pm at 6:13 pm |
  23. Pepou

I can't wait to vote for Obama !

October 23, 2008 06:14 pm at 6:14 pm |
  24. nadeem

I am so mad about Palin using part of the $150,000 dollars that americans gaver her to buy a $4,000 Louis Vutton purse for her sever year old. How can anyone allow her to hold public office.

October 23, 2008 06:14 pm at 6:14 pm |
  25. DJ 4 OBAMA

Open Ur eyes and vote for your conscience,not about colour,but what the person have to offer. The outside world is watching you,pls be an example.

October 23, 2008 06:14 pm at 6:14 pm |