October 23rd, 2008

POLL UPDATE: Obama ahead by 8

Sen. Obama waved before boarding his campaign plane Thursday after an event in Indiana.

(CNN) - As Election Day inches closer, Barack Obama continues to hold a significant lead over John McCain, according to CNN's average of several recent polls.

The Illinois senator now holds an 8-point lead over McCain in the latest CNN poll of polls, 50 percent to 42 percent. That lead is 1 point lager than it was in Wednesday's poll of polls.

The national general election poll of polls consists of four recent surveys: Fox/Opinion Dynamics (October 20-21), Reuters/C-SPAN/Zogby (October 20-22), Gallup (October 20-22) and Diageo/Hotline (October 20-22). The Poll of Polls does not have a sampling error.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • Iowa • John McCain
  1. Tiff of lithia springs

My son Bobby says MCCain is a player hater and not play maker.

October 23, 2008 06:14 pm at 6:14 pm |
  2. WELCOME TO THE OBAMA SHOW

IF OBAMA WINS THIS ELECTION THIS COUNTRY WILL GO INTO A DEPRESSION.

THANKS UNEDUCATED OBAMA VOTERS!!!!!!!!!!!!

October 23, 2008 06:14 pm at 6:14 pm |
  3. Abdul

Though I live in LA California which is guaranteed to vote for the democrats, I will still drive to my local voting center to vote for Obama on November 4th because I would like to tell my baby girl one day that her dad contributed to making history 🙂
    God bless you Obama.

October 23, 2008 06:14 pm at 6:14 pm |
  4. Obama 2008

To "conservative"....so is McCain's Campaign!!!

October 23, 2008 06:15 pm at 6:15 pm |
  5. tim in wa.

@John – Fox is the most conservative POS news network in existance....get a clue....

October 23, 2008 06:15 pm at 6:15 pm |
  6. Oregon calling

Just one wish from an Obama Administration:

Please say NO to NO BID CONTRACTS!!!!!!

Thanks,
    C~

October 23, 2008 06:15 pm at 6:15 pm |
  7. George-VA

I must say the latest attack by Mccain trying to tie Obama to George Bush is simply SILLY! it just proves how ERRATIC Mccain has become. One day he calls Obama the most liberal Senator, the next he says Obama is just like George Bush. Which is it, John? You can't have it both ways, you're just desperate and shooting in all directions...like Bush the cowboy himself.

October 23, 2008 06:16 pm at 6:16 pm |
  8. Pepou

John BACAUSE THEIR ONE SIDED": With Obama as president you will be able to learn how to spell !

October 23, 2008 06:16 pm at 6:16 pm |
  9. jm from sc

People keep talking about experience. I would like to know what experience Sen. McCain has to be president? One blogger, posing as Carole said we need to rethink this election because Obama does not have the experience. I would like this person to take a good look at the McCain/Palin ticket. Palin has neither the experience, education or common sense to be on that ticket. McCain selecting her has confirm that he does not have the knowledge to be president.

I voted for Obama early.

Obama/Biden 08

October 23, 2008 06:16 pm at 6:16 pm |
  10. Gia in Los Angeles, CA

Wooooo Hooooooooo!! But don't anybody take this to mean that they don't have to go out and vote. VOTE!!!

October 23, 2008 06:17 pm at 6:17 pm |
  11. Teaser

I just don't know if 8 is a big enough lead...

October 23, 2008 06:17 pm at 6:17 pm |
  12. What's going on?

Why is he slipping in the polls? He should be holding steady double digits by now???

Maybe a last minute gut check?

October 23, 2008 06:17 pm at 6:17 pm |
  13. RFO - Florida

An Executive Officer at any level of the US Army is not a leadership position. I don't know of any TOE nor TDA slot that has Manager in its Job Title.

Leadership is the process of influencing others in such a manner as to accoumplish the mission! When in doubt issue these two simple words: FOLLOW ME!

Fired Up, Ready to Lead,

Obama/Biden '08

October 23, 2008 06:17 pm at 6:17 pm |
  14. Go Away GOP

How the mighty have fallen. The GOP is holding on with a death grip, but Americans will pry their greedy hands from our White House. Enough.

October 23, 2008 06:17 pm at 6:17 pm |
  15. SD

KEEP IT AMERICA!

PLEASE VOTE ON NOV. 4th.
    VOTE FOR OUR MAN, OBAMA

AND DO WHATEVER YOU HAVE TO.....TO TRY AND MAKE SURE OTHERS VOTE.....AND VOTE OBAMA!

TALK TO YOUR FAMILY MEMBERS....FRIENDS.....CO-WORKERS.....NEIGHBOURS.....WHOEVER....DOESN"T MATTER!

PLEASE, THIS IS YOUR FUTURE!

October 23, 2008 06:18 pm at 6:18 pm |
  16. What's going on?

Maybe a last minute gut check?

October 23, 2008 06:18 pm at 6:18 pm |
  17. PDXGal

In the words of Han Solo, "Great, kid!! Now DON'T GET COCKY!!"

Get out and VOTE!!

We can take 12 more days of being called socialists, terrorists, unAmerican, and other divisive lies...

But this land that we love cannot take 4 more years of republican greed. I voted by mail today. I thought about my brother in Afghanistan when I did it.
    -A Democrat and a Patriot.

October 23, 2008 06:18 pm at 6:18 pm |
  18. SJC

To conservative:

You said:

"Polls ; worthless propaganda tools!"

I was wondering if this observation was made after a detailed statistical analysis or because you don't like the results. LOL!

October 23, 2008 06:18 pm at 6:18 pm |
  19. Barack The Vote

California, New York, Florida, Virginia, Ohio, Colorado, Nevada–I predict a landslide for Barack. Bring out the popcorn because the fat lady will be singing all night long.

Barack the Vote People.

Obama/Biden 08

October 23, 2008 06:19 pm at 6:19 pm |
  20. michelle

GGGGGGGGGOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MMMMMMMCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCAAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNN

October 23, 2008 06:19 pm at 6:19 pm |
  21. JC

Let us not be overconfident, but it does look promising.....

October 23, 2008 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  22. A Woman In California For Obama or Shirley the Legal Secretary

The McCain campaign is a joke. If Palin was so gifted-why is it they had to take this hillbilly and buy her $150,000 of new clothes, makeup and hold her hands? All the money they've spent on her and she still doesn't deliver. Remember how she dressed in Alaska? She looked like an older version of Daisy Duke. My goodness-she is a joke! Bay Buchanan can try all she wants to impress me Palin is doing a great job. Guess what, I'm not impressed and my vote still goes to Obama/Biden. The real and only choice.

Again Sarah three words for you MEET THE PRESS.

On another note. Is anyone else laughing at Michelle the witch in Minnesota? I think her chickens have come home to roost....

October 23, 2008 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  23. I just voted for Obama

Just wait – the polls will "tighten" and then on election night, Karl Rove or his protege will wave his magic wand and Florida, Ohio, Virginia, Colorado, New Mexico and Iowa will all mysteriously change from an Obama/Biden lead to a McCain win, despite the exit polls. They've stolen two presidential elections and they can steal another one.

October 23, 2008 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  24. Palin Is A Pale Memory

Oh please, you think people are camping out and waiting in line for 3 hours for McCain? I don't think so....

The most exciting election ever has the most exciting candidate ever– BARACK OBAMA.

O/B 08