October 23rd, 2008

POLL UPDATE: Obama ahead by 8

Sen. Obama waved before boarding his campaign plane Thursday after an event in Indiana.

(CNN) - As Election Day inches closer, Barack Obama continues to hold a significant lead over John McCain, according to CNN's average of several recent polls.

The Illinois senator now holds an 8-point lead over McCain in the latest CNN poll of polls, 50 percent to 42 percent. That lead is 1 point lager than it was in Wednesday's poll of polls.

The national general election poll of polls consists of four recent surveys: Fox/Opinion Dynamics (October 20-21), Reuters/C-SPAN/Zogby (October 20-22), Gallup (October 20-22) and Diageo/Hotline (October 20-22). The Poll of Polls does not have a sampling error.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • Iowa • John McCain
  1. Will in Carson City

What CNN doesn't want you to know -

AP released its poll yesterday, and the race was a DEAD HEAT! Now, I'm not saying that it's right, but it's kind of odd that all these other polls have Obama ahead by 4, 5, or more points and the AP is even. Maybe it says something about who the different polls survey.....

October 23, 2008 06:21 pm at 6:21 pm |
  2. Faye from Florida

Question? How can our govenment let the Wallstreet and AGI people still get bonuses. We do not understand how they can do this with our money,,, This is not a fair thing to do., WHY???? WHY???We feel they should pay back all the money they are just pocketing. These CEO's get paid tooooo much as it is.

October 23, 2008 06:21 pm at 6:21 pm |
  3. Georgia is going blue 2!

Go OBAMA!

We will vote a mandate!

Unite this Nation and be the greatest Country on Earth once AGAIN!

ONE NATION

October 23, 2008 06:22 pm at 6:22 pm |
  4. Oma

First time voters do not get polled, cell-phone-only owners do not get polled, so, what do the polls really reflect?

October 23, 2008 06:22 pm at 6:22 pm |
  5. Janet, FL

Get the presses ready. Barack Obama WILL BE Times "Man of the Year". Mark my words.

Obama/Biden

October 23, 2008 06:22 pm at 6:22 pm |
  6. Oregon Latino

I agree. Vote early and don't listen to the poll numbers. Vote, vote, vote!!!! Obama/Biden 08!

October 23, 2008 06:22 pm at 6:22 pm |
  7. The Great One

CNN stop with all the polls already. I can already see how this is going, every single day until 11/4 your going to post stupid polling #'s about 5 times a day.

-The Great One for Oboma

October 23, 2008 06:22 pm at 6:22 pm |
  8. Red, Red WHINE!!

Committing treason as a POW does not make you a war hero. It makes you a Benedict Arnold. Abandoning your children does not make you a good man. Voting against veterans benefits does not make you patriotic. And making 95% of the people suffer while you give welfare checks to the 5% that don't need it does not make a good policy. And spending $150k to clothe your lipstick wearing pitbull does not make you an animal lover nor an advocate for women!

I'll take the guy that doesn't have a record of failure....I'll take Obama any day!

October 23, 2008 06:22 pm at 6:22 pm |
  9. Ellie in Alaska

I voted yesterday for Obama!

October 23, 2008 06:22 pm at 6:22 pm |
  10. Melody

Either way we're screwed... (McBama 08') lets see the poll numbers that show the most write-ins in the history of presidential elections. Everyone I know is writing in Chuck Baldwin or Alan Keyes due to our pathetic options with the 2 major parties

October 23, 2008 06:22 pm at 6:22 pm |
  11. Anonymous

Yesterday on CSpan2 a caller wanted to know why no one is talking about Sentor McCain writing a six paige letter to Russia asking for $5,000 campaign money to help defeat Sentor Obama to help freedom and democracy all over the world. Did Sentor McCain write a letter to Russia?

October 23, 2008 06:22 pm at 6:22 pm |
  12. Maurice

If you vote for Obama you`re a fool.

October 23, 2008 06:23 pm at 6:23 pm |
  13. Larry Betts

George W, Bush will go down in history as the worst President ever, John McCain if elected could & probably would do even worse and Heaven forbid if he would die in office. I can't imagine the U. S. having a future with that pair in control.

October 23, 2008 06:23 pm at 6:23 pm |
  14. Frank from Peterborough

With a large number of Obama supporters not being polled I would double this lead in the polls in his favour. How can anyone in their right mind vote for the possibility of having an air head as their President?

October 23, 2008 06:23 pm at 6:23 pm |
  15. Ellie in Alaska

I voted yesterday for Obama!

October 23, 2008 06:24 pm at 6:24 pm |
  16. Penn State Freshman

Obama Angel
    Yes I love him
    And I hope that someday
    He'll lead me

And together we can see
    How brave our country can be....

Obama Angel
    Yes I love him...

October 23, 2008 06:24 pm at 6:24 pm |
  17. I voted on Tuesday

I voted and it was the best feeling for me when I walked away. I have never felt so full of hope like I did then. I have so much hope for our future. Obama/Biden '08

October 23, 2008 06:24 pm at 6:24 pm |
  18. JL

Thank you for something positive about Obama, CNN.

Just remember that people lie to pollsters all the time, so be sure to get out and vote, Obama supporters.

October 23, 2008 06:25 pm at 6:25 pm |
  19. Biff

McCain is running out of time....

October 23, 2008 06:25 pm at 6:25 pm |
  20. TjayeInLA

I hate seeing these polls; I am genuinely afraid to believe them. Its almost unfathomable to think of being rid of this administration.

October 23, 2008 06:26 pm at 6:26 pm |
  21. Steve

Obama hates white people and America. He and his wife are both terrorists. Anyone voting for them hates America

October 23, 2008 06:26 pm at 6:26 pm |
  22. Prince

Please end this soon or John McCain might not win any states!

October 23, 2008 06:26 pm at 6:26 pm |
  23. WAH

All you republicans keep wishing and hoping and maybe your candidate will win.....NOT

Can you say President Barack Obama?

People are standing in lines to vote for "The One"

Good riddance to the republicans!

October 23, 2008 06:26 pm at 6:26 pm |
  24. kayla

THE TIME FOR CHANGE HAS COME.
    OBAMA 08

October 23, 2008 06:26 pm at 6:26 pm |
  25. David, Silver Spring, MD

In a five minute span, we learn that

John McCain's brother is calling 911 to complain about the traffic,
    Scott McClellan is backing Obama, and
    John McCain won't be attending his own election night party (he'll talk to a few people on the lawn of the hotel).

This 8 point lead is not the disease for McCain, it's just a symptom.

October 23, 2008 06:27 pm at 6:27 pm |