October 24th, 2008

Former Bush aide voting for Obama

CNN

Watch McCllellan on D.L. Hughley Breaks the News.

(CNN) - Scott McClellan, the former White House press secretary who sharply criticized President Bush in his memoir last spring, told CNN Thursday he's voting for Barack Obama.

"From the very beginning I have said I am going to support the candidate that has the best chance for changing the way Washington works and getting things done and I will be voting for Barack Obama and clapping," McClellan told new CNN Host D.L. Hughley

McClellan, a onetime Bush loyalist whose scathing critique of the president sent shock waves across Washington last spring, has long hinted he was leaning toward the Illinois senator.

"It's a message that is very similar to the one that Gov. Bush ran on in 2000," McClellan said in May about Obama's campaign.

McClellan isn't the first member of Bush's inner circle to express support for Obama. In 2007, former Bush strategist Matt Dowd also said he had become disillusioned with the president and said Obama was the only candidate that appealed to him.

The full interview will air on D.L. Hugley's new show, D.L. Hughley Breaks the News, Saturday at 10 p.m. ET. Hughley is also a guest of Larry King Live Friday at 9 p.m. ET.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Daniel

Looks like he's not a waste after all. I imagine working under Bush would sour just about anyone on the GOP.

October 24, 2008 08:39 am at 8:39 am |
  2. Republican Voting OBAMA

Scott, you are doing the right thing and joining the winning team. I see that you have been watching this close as well.

Vote Today or Vote Early Obama/Biden 08/12

Change we can count on........

October 24, 2008 08:40 am at 8:40 am |
  3. anon

I find it interesting that suddenly in the news it a woman being attacked by an "Obama supporter" (no proof he was, nor is there any evidence to back that) but there was never any talk about the man that got shot 3 times because he was wearing an Obama T-shirt!

October 24, 2008 08:40 am at 8:40 am |
  4. Mark in NC

I like Obama he seems like a nice, personable fellow. But I don't think he is right for the country because of his policies and his views. So I am voting for McCain and Palin.

Thank you.

October 24, 2008 08:41 am at 8:41 am |
  5. grahame

There's a very good reason for this. Scott McClellan, for many reasons, has become disenchanted with the Republican lies presented by President Bush and Dick Chaney, Carl Rove etc;

John McCain and Sarah Palin are just further examples of this. Just like the Bush inner sanctum they all exhibit petulant childishness based on rampant egomania when they can't get their own way.

In order to achieve their own ends as exhibited by the McCain Palin campaign they lie just as Bush did to Scott McClellan. That is why he, along with Colin Powell and the vast majority of US voters, are backing Barrack Obama and Joe Biden

October 24, 2008 08:42 am at 8:42 am |
  6. Irma in North Carolina

Boy that shows you something when an aide of Bush is voting for obama. My prayers go out to Obamas grandmother that she recovers again and can see her grandson being president of the USA. If the Mccain camp had any decency they would be saying something about this, they are just too busy attacking and spreading lies, this will all come back to haunt them.

October 24, 2008 08:43 am at 8:43 am |
  7. Lillian

I'm not sure who can answer, but what do the candidates tell their children about lying? Cindy McCain and Sarah especially when they say Mr Obama voted against the troops when in Mr. McCain did also. They did it for reasons important to them but wanted things included or omited from the wording. There are so many ourright lies I can't believe they can go home at night and face the family or friends. Is it really worth it and why do the "people" have to pay for these lies. A hand shake, your word were these not the basic fundamentals that a person could believe you? So sad!

October 24, 2008 08:43 am at 8:43 am |
  8. BHO FTL

thats old news this guy wrote a book bashing bush and the administration he was a part of... hes a loser

October 24, 2008 08:44 am at 8:44 am |
  9. carol

It's great that Scott McClellan is endorsing Sen Obama....but I feel the same about him that I did with Colin Powell....I just wish they had both had the strength of character to acknowlegde that what they were both promoting was based on a lie!!!!!
    Granted, at first maybe you felt it was based on truth...but as time went on and it was proven to be anything but the truth....they should have both resigned on principle and in my mind they would both have more credibility now.
    Still, that being said we can't afford anymore of this ridiculous Republican rule and it's time for them to be shown the door and God willing we will see Sen Obama sworn in as the new President.

October 24, 2008 08:45 am at 8:45 am |
  10. tha ref`

the clear choice for president barack obama.
    the smart choice for president is barack obama.
    you know who i love though?
    republicans who are broke.
    why would they think the republican party cares about them when they have shown us time and time again that the top1% is their base.
    if you make less than 250,000 a year and you are a republican you are killing yourself by party affiliation.
    i can't wait to see what a fresh face in the white house can do for our "country first" and the world second.

October 24, 2008 08:45 am at 8:45 am |
  11. Eric

An other one leaving the sinking ship. I do have to say, for them to wait until they are sure Obama is winning is a bit coward but hey, we'll take it.

Beside that, I wonder why CNN does not do a better job analyzing the different polls. There was this weird AP poll showing a dead heat. Thing is, their survey comprised 45% of evangelicals. Haha!

Now for the ITT poll. McCain was winning the young vote by a huge margin in that one. Haha. The job of a news network is to give proper information and to present polls without enough context about the methodology is not information, it is only to convey false informations.

October 24, 2008 08:46 am at 8:46 am |
  12. TJ

As the cartoon "Johnny Test" would say, "Didn't see that one coming!"

October 24, 2008 08:46 am at 8:46 am |
  13. Stacey

@JB20834; What about the white republicans who are jumping ship and voting for Obama? Statements like yours are the reason your party is losing. Most of America does not want another four years of Bush's failed policies. If your candidate's campaign had ran an honorable one based on real issues and not attacks against Obama the polls just might be looking a little different than it does now. Based on your statement about "Black Blood being thicker than water" I doubt seriously if you would have voted for Colin Powell.

October 24, 2008 08:47 am at 8:47 am |
  14. Republican for a Better Country

Like I said before; racism is alive and well. I have not seen racisn like this since the ealry 60's and that I only read about or saw on documentaries as I am from the late baby boomer era. When I read your comments I can tell the blacks from the whites. But when I watch the news here in Atlanta all I see from the black news casters is racism. The Athens paper talks about "Blacks voting for Obama because he is Black" and I quote. Check it out for yourself.

October 24, 2008 08:47 am at 8:47 am |
  15. Chut Pata

I guess Mr. Limbaugh remembered that McClellan was a white guy, so he has not accused his endorsement as racism, like he referred to Powell's endorsement as racism.

October 24, 2008 08:47 am at 8:47 am |
  16. wwf

jb20834: and white blood is not? Get a life.

October 24, 2008 08:47 am at 8:47 am |
  17. adkakad

Does it seem strange to anyone else that the republicans that are backing Obama seem to all come from the Bush camp. Could it be that the same Big Business people that helped get Bush elected now want Obama elected so that they can run our country further into the ground and then take their money and leave? Or better yet by everyone sharing the wealth it will keep anyone who may be able to eventually cross the $250,000 mark in their place. This way the rich stay rich and the poor can never aspire to be rich.

October 24, 2008 08:48 am at 8:48 am |
  18. Michael D. from Colorado

Way to go Scott! I see courage where others may see weakness. We need to stand up for what is right, and I believe you are walking the walk. Thank you. Obama/Biden is a ticket that will change Washington because it is a campaign about us (the main street). Go USA!

October 24, 2008 08:49 am at 8:49 am |
  19. Christopher

If I were GW Bush I'd be voting for Obama too. Considering that he curently holds an approval rating lower than the trash that McCain has been spewing and that is legacy as it stands it certian to be one of the absolute biggest foul up's in presidential history, the one thing that could get him some positive press is if he actually endorsed Obama.

October 24, 2008 08:49 am at 8:49 am |
  20. Gene

That's a surprise.

October 24, 2008 08:49 am at 8:49 am |
  21. alpha

Mcllelan is the sole discretion of his decision. Mccain and bush are total failures.
    OBAMA/BIDEN 08!

October 24, 2008 08:49 am at 8:49 am |
  22. indepentent08 for obama/biden

You've got that right : No Way No How No Mc cain

Good luck on your new show D.L

You Need to stress the fact that we all need to get out and vote!!!

only 11-days left

NO WAY NO HOW NO MCCAIN

GET OUT AND VOTE

October 24, 2008 08:53 am at 8:53 am |
  23. Kelly from Florida

The revolution will be TELEVISED on November 4!

OBAMA/BIDEN 08 & 12!

October 24, 2008 08:53 am at 8:53 am |
  24. Ken in Pisgah Forest

I just hope the venom the McCain campaign has spread will dissipate by inauguration date and that for the good of the country all Americans will stand tall behind President Obama. McCain has run a low road campaign managed by the same people who dissed him eight years ago. It's amazing how low these guys will go when they are behind and desparate. Hopefully the real McCain will rise from the ashes of this as a supporter and not detractor from the winner.

October 24, 2008 08:54 am at 8:54 am |