October 24th, 2008

Police: Woman lied about bumper-sticker-linked attack

(CNN) - A Texas woman who told Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, police she was assaulted at an ATM by a man angered by a John McCain bumper sticker on her car admitted Friday she made up the report, the assistant police chief said Friday.

1. Joe Plumber Six Pack for Obama

Congratulations to all of us who called BS in the post about this.

HOW SAD!

Now for the Joe The Plumber guy to come clean that he was a plant for McCain.....

October 24, 2008 03:01 pm at 3:01 pm |
  2. Elizabeth in Texas

Ha! Oh thank you woman from Texas- you make all Texans look so stupid!

I bet Fox News is mad that she made it up because they wanted it to be true!

October 24, 2008 03:01 pm at 3:01 pm |
  3. Matt

Golly gee gosh, we never coulda guessed. I carve backwards Bs on my own cheek all the time, dontcha know.

October 24, 2008 03:01 pm at 3:01 pm |
  4. CanIcallyouJoe

Sounds republican to me.
    Now, that isn't to say democrats don't lie – they are both political parties after all, lying is what they were sent there to do – but republicans cherish and worship their lies like no one else.

October 24, 2008 03:01 pm at 3:01 pm |
  5. NH Voter

Why is your original report still up in the Politics section?

October 24, 2008 03:01 pm at 3:01 pm |
  6. Nifty 60, female and white

How sick are repucks getting? I have seen this story all over the place already and people believe this sick nonsense. McCain needs to put a stop to this.
    OBAMA '08

7. SoCal

Another "Joe The Plumber" story unveiled...

8. GB

I knew it!

9. Lou

Odd how the banner story remains on the front Politics page and the facts are buried in the Ticker. A top notch news organization, which I take CNN to be, would at least post the correction along with the story.

10. Joe Plumber

McCain/Palin 2008!

11. Thomas

You just knew it was coming.

The desperation of the McCain campaign to say or do anything to win is trickling down to it's supporters.

12. sf

Shame, shame, shame,shame,shame,shame,shame

Shame on you!

...and why does it always have to be the Black guy whodunnit?

...and, please tell me that idiot didn't really cut her face!!

13. lol election

all i can say is..... OUCH.......

14. kathy

Kinda obvious to anyone with even the slightest bit of a brain...the B was backwards......quite telling it had been self inflicted...in the mirror. And to think she was going to blame a democrat

15. ObamaVolunteer

You think? I knew this story was fabricated from the start. Who wears "shiny" shoes to go rob someone? What thief hangs around long enough to carve a backwards letter of someone's FIRST name on your cheek – straight lines and all? Come on; the cops knew she was lying in the beginning. It appears she carved the letter in her cheek being to stupid to realize that the mirror image would be backwards! LOL

Come on CNN, don't hold out on us; even FOXNEWS.com gave us more 411 than this.

16. Blue By You

Ahhh, another lying GOP operative. Why does this not surprise me?

17. Kevin

What a joke.

All I can say is I hope she gets the medical attention she needs and THANK GOD this race baiting hoax didn't lead to any real violence. I can't believe she would do something so outrageous to stir stuff up.

18. TONY

THIS IS NO SURPRISE!

I READ AND EHAR ON T.V. THAT MCCAIN AND PALIN EVEN TELEPHONED HER.

JUST ONE MORE DESPERATE ATTEMPT FOR MCCAIN TO TRY AND SCORE VOTES.

PATHETIC!

19. L. Shea, Virginia

I guess she thought that this story would inflame voters to choose her candidate and paint the opposition as thugs.

Isn't filing a false report illegal. Would be interested to know what the police intend to do now.

20. Deep Throat

That is so sad...

I think that young women owes Barack Obama a personal apology!

October 24, 2008 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  21. OxfordVoter

Hmmm. What a surprise. A Republican campaign worker, from TEXAS, lying about such a thing.

It's sad. It's scary.

October 24, 2008 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  22. Courtney H

There was a poll yesterday questioning whether the attack was true or a hoax. I am glad I bet on the hoax because the neat, lightly scratched, backwards B seemed a bit implausible. I am curious what her motivation for this was. I take back any sympathetic remarks I might have made earlier. This kind of trumped up race baiting has caused too many lynchings in the past in this country to be easily forgiven.

October 24, 2008 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  23. Gene

Wow... people in this world are sick. Self mutilation is usually not the best way to show support for a candidate 🙂

October 24, 2008 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  24. Barrie O. Ward

CNN has done the public a great disservice by not getting this hoax up on its website frontpage ... CNN ran it prominently so now its falsity should also get the same prominence!

October 24, 2008 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  25. Caligirl

OMG, it not just the McCain campaign; even their supporters are liars.

October 24, 2008 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |