October 26th, 2008

Obama says McCain 'finally giving us a little straight talk'

Sen. Obama said Sunday McCain is 'finally giving us a little straight talk'.

Sen. Obama said Sunday McCain is 'finally giving us a little straight talk'.

(CNN) - Sen. Barack Obama said Sunday that Sen. John McCain was now "owning up to the fact that he and George Bush actually have a whole lot in common."

"Just this morning, Sen. McCain said that, actually, he and President Bush - 'share a common philosophy.' That's right, Colorado. I guess that was John McCain finally giving us a little straight talk," Obama said at a rally in Denver.

Obama was referring to McCain's Sunday interview on NBC's "Meet the Press." NBC's Tom Brokaw pointed to a review of McCain's record, which showed he voted with Bush 92 percent of the time.
"So it's a little hard for the public to separate you from this administration, isn't it?" Brokaw said.
McCain highlighted times he has broken with the current administration, saying, "So do we share a common philosophy of the Republican Party? Of course.

"But I've stood up against my party, not just President Bush, but others; and I've got the scars to prove it," he said. "Do I respect President Bush? Of course I respect him. But I pointed out we were on the wrong track in a whole lot of ways."

Obama said Sunday that in the final days of campaigning, voters can expect from the McCain campaign "the same kind of politics that we've seen over the last eight years. It's a politics that is more about tearing your opponent down than lifting your country up."

"We're not going to let George Bush pass the torch to John McCain," Obama said.

Update: McCain-Palin campaign spokesman Tucker Bounds released the following statement in response:

“Barack Obama can’t name a single issue or philosophy on which he’s opposed the Democratic-controlled Congress – not one. John McCain opposed President Bush’s wasteful spending policy, his Big Oil energy policy and his efforts to grow the federal government by 40% – Obama supported Bush on all three," Bounds said.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • John McCain
  1. Let it go..........

9 days to go and this is the ONLY truthful act I have seen from McCain. How does his "partner" feel about him stating his mind? Did he clear it with HER first? He just might blow the whole thing veering off the course of lies and deception. I want to hear more about Obama from him than I do about what he's going to do for the American people. (not)

October 26, 2008 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  2. Sue, NY

I saw that interview on Meet the Press....John McCain has become an angry old man. He was very combative with Brokaw. We need to move away from that behavior....we have enough problems without adding an angry leader. It's time for change...vote Obama.

October 26, 2008 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  3. hurriCAIN PALIN

"Just this morning, Sen. McCain said that, actually, he and President Bush — 'share a common philosophy.'

and that is to defeat inexperienced empty suit socialism

October 26, 2008 02:42 pm at 2:42 pm |
  4. Ann

I sure wish the media would ask Obama where all the money came from for his campaign in Sept; why not give him a chance to do some straight talking and explain how its possible to raise $150 million in one month. It just continues to amaze me how the staggering amount of campaign donations is being ignored by the media; do you really think its normal, and not of interest to anyone at all, to raise such a large amount in one month. I ask CNN, please, do your job, investigate BOTH candidates; no matter how reporters feel personally they should report on both candidaties fairly and objectively. Thats BOTH Presidential candidates, not just McCain and not just VP candidate Palin.

October 26, 2008 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |
  5. Kenzie from Texas

"But I pointed out we were on the wrong track in a whole lot of ways."

when?

When?

WHEN????

October 26, 2008 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |
  6. KJL

I think the "going rogue" comments about Palin are a last-ditch effort by the McCain campaign to save their "maverick" status. McCain and Bush are as good as surgically joined.

October 26, 2008 02:44 pm at 2:44 pm |
  7. KLEE

It seems to me, and i might be wrong, why is everything against the Republicans in this campaign a media conspiracy OR if that fails they will push a FEAR button like "Socialism", "Taxes", "Plumbers (oops I'm not talking Nixon here), "Terrorist Pals", "Media is Picking on me"!, – Please lets get this down to who is the better messenger – and has "A PLAN" and the "ABILITY" to work with a wide variety of the "World Players" that must be dealt with intelligently – My gut feeling is OBAMA/BIDEN this time around – LETS GO WITH ABILITY – TEMPERAMENT – VISION – COOL, CALM & COLLECTED!

October 26, 2008 02:44 pm at 2:44 pm |
  8. Amy-Texas

Wow can Obama not talk about his own campaign why does he insist on bringing up Bush every moment he can get. Like McCain said if you wanted to run against Bush you should've ran 4 years ago. So Barack you're 4 years to late you are running against John McCain, someone please inform him. It's funny to me how Obama keeps raising more and more money...for what I thought you guys had this in the bag??? Too bad the conservatives will be out at the polls and they will put McCain/Palin in the white house. Don't believe the polls people that is the liberals trying to convince the American people that the election is over when in fact IT ISN'T!!! Rebublicans unite and defeat the hateful democrats.

October 26, 2008 02:44 pm at 2:44 pm |
  9. Truth Be Told

We are still waiting on Obama.

😦

October 26, 2008 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  10. Lawrence

Im seeing the same names on each article......... Whats the use ?!?

October 26, 2008 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  11. MIKE J.

That's right OBAMA, because one day, my kids may want to run for PRESIDENT and these dumb smears should not be a part of the process. If we defeat these tactics now, they will not have to put up with them.

October 26, 2008 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  12. mitch

republicans have made a mockery out of our election process yet again. dirty politics at its worse.

October 26, 2008 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  13. Srikop

Guys! please don't get too over confident, we cannot let the Rethugs snatch it away from us again. We CANNOT let that happen, so please go vote early, coz the turn out is going to be huge on Nov 4th and we cannot afford people turning away and not vote due to the huge lines.

So, please, don't just get carried away by the polls, just VOTE!. Only then will the polls turn into a reality!

Thanks.

October 26, 2008 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  14. geraldine

And with whom does Obama share philosophies? Maybe his hate-speech spewing minister of 20 years? Maybe with the mentor of whom he spoke in his autobiography, American Communist Frank Marshall Davis? These are undisputed facts and based on his own prose, folks. Yet, no one dares hold the man accountable to these facts or dares mention that legislative policy may be influenced by these philosophies.

And this silencing of dissent will only get worse...

October 26, 2008 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  15. Barbara

well thats might be the first honest comment his made during the campaign. I have seen not just on the republican side but Democrats as well, when you do the facts check out both sides seem to stretch the truth. I don't know why they have to do that, when honesty is the best policy, but I guess then if that happened, there wouldn't be fact checks. Well any way, I'm really hoping someone that runs for president next time, will be totally honest with the people. We are so tired of all the lies that has been told in this one. I just wonder is there such a person out there Well one can only hope.

October 26, 2008 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  16. Ed, Santa Fe, NM

McCain is a Bush Stooge.... and Palin is the Fool

October 26, 2008 02:47 pm at 2:47 pm |
  17. Georgia for Obama

Obama/Biden I voted for you on October 22, 2008 I pray to God that Obama/Biden win because I have been struggling for 8 years

Vote early for Obama/Biden 08

October 26, 2008 02:48 pm at 2:48 pm |
  18. Texas Teacher

McCain this morning said that he wants to freeze all spending except for the military, veterans, social security and that was it. What about education? McCain says whatever he thinks will get him elected. But the bottom line.... he wants exactly what Bush has been doing for the last eight years. It has NOT worked! We need a Change... and that is NOT McCain and Camp!

October 26, 2008 02:48 pm at 2:48 pm |
  19. Jonah in Bay Area

Go Obama!
    I will help the economy by going on a vacation

WHAT WAS MCCAIN THINKING WHEN HE CHOSE Ms. PALIN??

Mcacain has some nerve to belive that Americans are stupid.

ex-replublican voted for Obama..

October 26, 2008 02:48 pm at 2:48 pm |
  20. OBAMA 4 President

At last he tells the truth!

Offcourse they share a philosophy and much more other things and thats what we are afraid of is that like Bush, all we'll get from McSame is blunders and more blunders. It is unaffordable at this juncture. Sorry McSame, we are not buying any of your lies and distortions. Put country first and give up the fight and don't go into debt like Hillary.

The republican party is imploding and probably needs your help to get it back together, that will be a noble project for McSame as an elder statesman to round up a long and distinguished public service.

Repugs need to get rid of the Jesus-freaks-right-wing conservatives that have hijacked their party with their retrogressive stance on modern day issues that have long been settled and no longer relevant. They are no more christians than McSame is Arab as they do not exhibit true christian values. ENOUGH!

October 26, 2008 02:48 pm at 2:48 pm |
  21. Truth Be Told

Kenzie,
    Management of Iraq War ... Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae... Global Warning... Government Spending...Campaign Finance...Comprehensive Immigration...Torture...Guantanamo Bay...Earmarks...

October 26, 2008 02:49 pm at 2:49 pm |
  22. Jay

McCain/Paiin is desperate and they ae in deed in rare form. Please everyone let's vote Obama/Biden and put this to rest. Obama Obama

October 26, 2008 02:49 pm at 2:49 pm |
  23. MIKE J.

Why is Palin qualified? Is it her educational experience, her knowledge of complex issues, because she answered the debate questions correctly?

Why is she qualified?

She has no common sense. Brian Williams asked Palin what a pre-condition is and she answered in a dumb way again. Why didn't she ask someone what a pre-condition is?

October 26, 2008 02:50 pm at 2:50 pm |
  24. Truth Be Told

And Obama shares a common philosophy with Karl Marx.

October 26, 2008 02:50 pm at 2:50 pm |
  25. Blayze Kohime

92%? Wow, and to think I thought Obama was exaggerating with 90%. I guess he was in fact under estimating!

October 26, 2008 02:50 pm at 2:50 pm |