October 26th, 2008

Obama says McCain 'finally giving us a little straight talk'

Sen. Obama said Sunday McCain is 'finally giving us a little straight talk'.

Sen. Obama said Sunday McCain is 'finally giving us a little straight talk'.

(CNN) - Sen. Barack Obama said Sunday that Sen. John McCain was now "owning up to the fact that he and George Bush actually have a whole lot in common."

"Just this morning, Sen. McCain said that, actually, he and President Bush - 'share a common philosophy.' That's right, Colorado. I guess that was John McCain finally giving us a little straight talk," Obama said at a rally in Denver.

Obama was referring to McCain's Sunday interview on NBC's "Meet the Press." NBC's Tom Brokaw pointed to a review of McCain's record, which showed he voted with Bush 92 percent of the time.
"So it's a little hard for the public to separate you from this administration, isn't it?" Brokaw said.
McCain highlighted times he has broken with the current administration, saying, "So do we share a common philosophy of the Republican Party? Of course.

"But I've stood up against my party, not just President Bush, but others; and I've got the scars to prove it," he said. "Do I respect President Bush? Of course I respect him. But I pointed out we were on the wrong track in a whole lot of ways."

Obama said Sunday that in the final days of campaigning, voters can expect from the McCain campaign "the same kind of politics that we've seen over the last eight years. It's a politics that is more about tearing your opponent down than lifting your country up."

"We're not going to let George Bush pass the torch to John McCain," Obama said.

Update: McCain-Palin campaign spokesman Tucker Bounds released the following statement in response:

“Barack Obama can’t name a single issue or philosophy on which he’s opposed the Democratic-controlled Congress – not one. John McCain opposed President Bush’s wasteful spending policy, his Big Oil energy policy and his efforts to grow the federal government by 40% – Obama supported Bush on all three," Bounds said.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • John McCain
  1. s

Ah yes, McCain the 8% maverick, the 92% Bushie. Need more be said?

October 26, 2008 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  2. Susan from Scotts Valley, CA

Geraldine. They both have skeletons in their closet. McCain, too. J. Gordon Libby (a terrorist, too). Charles Keating (McCain's Rezko). And while McCain may not have sat in a church and heard the best and not the worst of Jeremiah Wright, he sought after the endorsement of some of the most racist, wackos on the religious right.

Lets judge these two men on their policies and what they can do for this country including what they've both demonstrated in this current crisis. McCain hasn't presented anything that would suggest that he would be different than Bush – it's all about trickle down economics which isn't working. Obama has a different approach. And McCain's response to the economic crisis has been pathetic. Obama has shown true leadership.

October 26, 2008 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  3. concern

He voted that way because the NEO's told him if he stayed in line the white house would his in 2008!!

Sorry john! they forgot to tell us!! We didn't get the memo!!

October 26, 2008 03:01 pm at 3:01 pm |
  4. TND

When I saw McCain on MTP he appeared very combative but disjointed. He's clearly disapponted with the fact that some young guy is going to win. To me he comes across as closed, angry and entitled.

This fantasy of his that he will not be "tested" is myopic on his part. I think a lot of aggressive world leaders are hoping he's elected because they know he's incapable of dealing with his emotions and will work it to their advantage.

He does not appear to me to be very "Presidential".

October 26, 2008 03:01 pm at 3:01 pm |
  5. TexicoFrom Mexico

McCain is done...and god willing Palin will be too! The republicans need to regroup in 8 years and come back with someone that has some intelligence...like Bobby Jindal! Why do Republicans keep putting these IDIOTS in the white house? Firs it was daddy Bush, then little boy bush and not McCain and Plain....tell me something repugs, do you feel inferior with someone like JFK, RFK or Obama? People that actually are smarter than most of us? What are you afraid of?

October 26, 2008 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  6. Vote McCain Palin

Jay-
    Wow republican's have destroyed this country??? What an ignorant statement, you must be a democrat. George Bush has protected this country- Have we had another 911 since he's been on watch??? The answer is no. But you go ahead and vote for and inexperienced Barack Obama and you look at how HE WILL DESTROY the United States. And then when it happens I will be more than happy to tell you I told you so.
    Democrats=Ignorance

October 26, 2008 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  7. SkyDog

Amy-Texas,
    While it may be true that Barack Obama is not running against George W. Bush, the person, it ABSOLUTELY IS TRUE that he is running against George W. Bush, the political philosophy, personified in this election by John McCain. A somewhat witty one-liner by McCain in the last debate doesn't change this at all.

October 26, 2008 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  8. vote! OBAMA-BIDEN NOV.4th

MCCAIN IS PITIFUL, OF COURSE HE AGREES WITH BUSH 92% OF THE TIME, HE HELPED PUT OUR ECONOMY WHERE IT IS TODAY, AND AS FOR AS HIS RUNNING MATE GOES, SHE HAS DONE MORE HARM TO THE REPUBLICIAN PARTY THAN ALL OF OUR OTHER ELECTIONS COMBINED, I DON'T KNOW WHERE MCCAIN COMES UP WITH AN 80% APPROVEAL RATING FOR PALIN, WHERE I COME FROM 99% OF THE VOTERS THINK SHE IS A BIG JOKE. VOTE OBAMA-BIDEN

October 26, 2008 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  9. I'M NOT A RACIST

CAN HE EVER JUST SHUT UP...I AM SO SICK OF HEARING THIS MAN SPEAK AND SEEING ALL THE STUPID COMMENTS FROM HIS FOLLOWERS...

October 26, 2008 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |
  10. Angela

I remember on another episode of MEET THE PRESS, McCain saying that he voted WITH Bush on the major issues.

October 26, 2008 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |
  11. nate

McCain on "Meet the Press:" "Do I share a common philosophy of the Republican Party with George Bush? Sure I do." He said it, we didnt.

October 26, 2008 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |
  12. hometowndemocrat

I am so tired of the Republicans ranting on about Obama's middle name being Hussein (which for the record means "Good")..........WHO CARES. Did he have any control over what his parents named him??? Does anyone??? My son has a Norwegian middle name because that is part of his heritage although he has never been to Norway and will never be a Viking!

Get off it already. It's making you sound even more petty and stupid than John McCain/Sarah Palin.

October 26, 2008 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |
  13. Adding up

I love the comments of socialism and pin pointing it to democrats. Mr. John McCain voted and supported the bail out just as most of the other republicans maybe even more so. This in turn- -has already gone down the road of socialism..so lets elect someone who actually knows something about finances and war(as Collen Powell stated). Why elect a president that is not suppose to support regulation then does with the biggest govt. spending in history?

GOP is losing it's corrupt power once and for all. God Bless the hard working public of America.

October 26, 2008 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |
  14. Don Miles

In a western capitalist democracy it is the obligation of the government to various degrees to redistribute the wealth of the economy. It would be a gross abandonnment of this obligation to abdicate any redistributionist role of the national government. It is therefore a fallacy to label Barak Obama as a 'socialist' simply because Obama believes in economic redistribution.

October 26, 2008 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  15. MO

Can someone tell me what mcsame meant by ' we were on the wrong track in a whole lot of ways' when he himself acknowledge he voted 92% of the time with Bush. Am i stupid or is mcsame insane? WAKE UP AMERICA BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE!!! OBAMA/ BIDEN 08

October 26, 2008 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  16. Monica

I went to the Obama rally last night in Albuquerque, NM. It was the most diverse crowd I had ever been in-young, old, white, hispanic, black, native american, etc... There were 45, 000 people there and it was a very peaceful, respectful and energized gathering. Mc Cain was in town eariler in the day and drew a whopping crowd of 1,500. Later he went to southern NM and drew a crowd of 3,000.

We are on the right side folks–and many Republicans believe so too.

We are witnessing the Republican party going down in flames before our very eyes. Good by to the party of division, hatred, fear, & intolence and hello to an era of unity, hope and a common purpose!

OBAMA/BIDEN 2008

October 26, 2008 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  17. Shelly

Ann, the money came from millions of average Americans like me who donated $5 here and $10 there over the course of the election. There's no conspiracy. It's just hard-working Americans who are tired of 8 LONG years of 'business as usual' who were willing to pool all their resources together to help elect CHANGE! That's something McLame and his supporters don't understand, because he doens't have the ability to bring people together. He only know how to sew seeds of discord to divide and tear this country apart.

October 26, 2008 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  18. Stu-Florida

Her being more "qualified" with exectutive experience are exactly the
    qualifications we don't need anymore of. Sure she is qualified in lying, cheating, missmanagement of taxes and Federal funds, abuse of power, etc. Sure she makes a great.... Republican!
    I still don't get just how she is more qualified?? After being a Governor of a state that has more caribou. The COUNTY I live in in Florida has more PEOPLE. Does this make the County Exectutive qualidied to be the VP>>>> President from day one?
    I seriously don't think so!
    Go away. When I was getting out of the Navy I had "short timers" chain.
    I now have one with 9 little balls left... See 'ya Mc&Palin

October 26, 2008 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |
  19. Joe the plumber

I am a big fan of George Bush and his tax cuts. He is one of the best presidents in history. Palin McCain in 2008!!!!!!

October 26, 2008 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |
  20. Jeffer65

I am really sick of McCain saying "I have the scars to prove it" in reference to him going against his party. He's like one of those dolls with the string you pull and they repeat a few phrases.

I'm not totally thrilled with Obama either. Still looking at the 3rd party candidates. One thing for sure is, McCain better not win. If he does, this country is finished.

October 26, 2008 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  21. Michael, MN

Shut up, Obama. He votes less with his party than you do yours. Want to be a leader? How about you stop voting the way your party tells you to...

October 26, 2008 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  22. Abe

After the last eight disastaurous years, I have a hard time understanding people who are voting for four more years of the same in the form of McCain!

October 26, 2008 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  23. Ryan

Is anyone else as tired of the "I've got the scars to prove it." comment? The funniest part was when Palin said it. What scars does she have...haha? What a joke that team is!

October 26, 2008 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  24. Adding up

I love Amy lovers in Texas who think democrats are hateful when the message of this party is hope and change and McCain/Palin is Fight fight fight and drill drill drill and this guy–he is a terrorist but he has apparently fooled a good majority of the people into thinking he is a senator that wants to put our country back on track. Man those millions of Americans sure are dumb aren't they Amy?

Thanks for your support.

Go Ron Paul-Oops he's out so I guess I go with Obama

October 26, 2008 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  25. American abroad

Geraldine,

Since you asked, Obama shares philospohies with the likes of JFK, RFK, and MLK, who all are probably traitors in your book.
    Conservative policies (8 years of WH+6 years of congress) brought us here, and we don't even expect an aplogy, just get out of the way. It is a virtue to go down with difnity, most of you guys can't even do that.

October 26, 2008 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |