October 27th, 2008

String of polls shows uphill climb for McCain

ALT TEXT

Obama campaigned in Colorado Sunday. (Getty Images.)

(CNN) - Barack Obama is hanging onto leads in several battleground states as well as a handful of traditionally red states won by President Bush in 2004, CNN's average of several recent state polls shows.

According to a string of new polls of polls from CNN, Obama holds narrow leads in Ohio, Missouri, Florida, Nevada, and Virginia. John McCain meanwhile is hanging onto his lead in Indiana and West Virginia. CNN's polls of polls are statistical averages of several recent surveys from each state. They do not carry margins of error.

CNN Election Center: Check out the latest state polls

In Ohio, the state no Republican has won the White House without, Obama is holding a 4 point lead, 50 percent to 46 percent. That's one point narrower than a CNN Ohio polls of polls last week.

In Missouri, the state that voted for President Bush twice, Obama holds a 1 point lead over McCain. A CNN average of recent polls last week showed the race tied in Missouri.

Obama is holding onto a 2 point lead in Florida meanwhile, 48 percent to 46 percent. That's one point narrower than the race was last week at this time.

In Nevada, Obama has a 4 point lead, 49 to 45 percent - a lead that hasn't changed over the last week.

In Virginia, a state that hasn't voted Democratic in over 4 decades, but one that has been increasingly trending Democratic, Obama holds a 5 point lead, 50 to 45 percent. That's 3 points narrower than Obama's lead there last week, according to a CNN poll of polls then.

McCain meanwhile has a 1 point lead in Indiana, 47 to 45 percent, another state that hasn't voted Democratic since the 1960's but one that the Obama campaign has heavily targeted.

McCain also has an 8 point lead in West Virginia, 50 to 42 percent, a lead that is 6 points higher than it was this time last week.

That latest round of poll results shows McCain faces an uphill climb in the final week of his presidential campaign.

“The Republicans haven’t lost Virginia in 44 years. They absolutely need Florida to reach 270 electoral votes on Election Night. They’ve never won the White House without carrying Ohio. And the last time Missouri backed a losing candidate was in 1956," noted CNN Senior Political Researcher Alan Silverleib. "McCain is now trailing – albeit narrowly – in all four of these states. He needs a dramatic turnaround this week to have a serious shot at winning on November 4.”

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • John McCain
  1. Vickie

Just name me one reason I sould vote for John McCain, just one please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

October 27, 2008 10:40 am at 10:40 am |
  2. Camilla J.

Palin has ABSOLUTELY nothing to contribute to anyone, let alone this country. She reminds me of a 5.00 pro, who will give , and say whatever you want, to get to the next Joe. She continually repeats a bunch of lies, creates lies, and live lies. Listen to her speeches, "I', "I', 'I", all about her. She has nothing to contribute. Her own states major newspaper did not endorse her. You can learn more about a person, from those closest to her. Those who have witnessed first had. She carries as much baggage, as a freight. Unfortunately, her baggage goes nowhere. Palin has good acting skills. She can play any role, however, I definitely would not want her to "play" the role of a president..

October 27, 2008 10:40 am at 10:40 am |
  3. ran

People vote and in such #'s that there can be no doubt who we want as our next POTUS. We can not allow a Republican leaning court decide this election.

October 27, 2008 10:40 am at 10:40 am |
  4. AVEE capitalcityVA

Here is some food for thought. You know who's pulling for McCain? Al-Qaeda. They want McCain to win because they see him as "litte Bush" and will continue with his policies, which if you have been paying attention, has allowed Al-Qaeda to rebuild its forces.

So the international crisis won' t happen for Obama, it will happen if McCain is POTUS. Al-Qaeda doesn't want someone that will deliver peace in the mideast. Then want a "warhawk" to keep people joining their ranks. McCain supporters, I hope you are too old to be drafted or you don't have any sons or daughters old enough to serve. IF IT'S WAR YOU WANT, THEN WAR YOU SHALL HAVE!

Vote Obama/Biden 08 & 12.

October 27, 2008 10:40 am at 10:40 am |
  5. PA for Obama

Please get out and VOTE and make sure every vote counts. The Republican's did what they could in 2000 and 2004. Let's make sure that 2008 belongs to the democrats all the way....

How can people still believe in McCain/Palin, all the lies and hatred they have shown to the Americans...do not be fooled..dear god please help us all, it will be the end of America if they were to win.

October 27, 2008 10:41 am at 10:41 am |
  6. GA Independent

Be sure to vote! More GA polls are open this week than last, get yourself out there and VOTE!

October 27, 2008 10:41 am at 10:41 am |
  7. Sue in MI

As this election enters the final week, I am noticing more and more hatred from the Republicans (expect more cries of "communist" at Palin's rallies) and I am amazed at the respectful tone of the Democratic candidate. I believe that is why he is ahead...he has maintained this calm demeanor, doesn't get angry, and always states his plans. To those of you who think he doesn't have any, think again, or better yet, actually listen to the man. The "flipflops" I keep seeing mentioned are changes, yes, but a good leader must adapt to changing circumstances and events, unlike the current Decider, who makes up his mind in a flash and refuses to hear any other ideas (kind of the way Palin governs too, if you'd do some research.)
    Bush has kept us safe? Ya think? If by safe you mean we haven't been attacked at home, true, but I hardly think sending trillions of unaccounted for dollars to Iraq, thus bankrupting our country, is keeping us safe. I hardly feel safe knowing that my phone and email can be listened to and monitored without pretext, and without a court's OK. I hardly feel safe when Bush and Cheney have allowed torture on people who may very well be innocent, including American citizens. I do not feel safe knowing that our credibility has been undermined around the world by a Republican administration who wants to take us back to isolationism and nation building, whether the countries we invade want us there or not. That breeds anger and contempt, not peace and well-being. I do not feel safe in my home knowing that if I am late with one mortgage payment, the bank can start foreclosure, or that my property value has plummeted because I have neighbors already in foreclosure. No, Republicans have not kept us safe in the ways that count, and I will be voting Democratic.
    And if by some manipulation of voter records, machine tampering, or other means should McCain come out on top, Dems will not be silent this year as we were 4 years ago when rigging in Ohio cost Kerry the election.

October 27, 2008 10:41 am at 10:41 am |
  8. Josh in Virginia

McCain just telling lies this morning in his economy speech.Obama did not in fact vote to increase taxes on "families" making as little as $42,000 per year.Fact check this ppl it's a lie McCain keep saying .. Everything out of his mouth this last few weeks are lies..

October 27, 2008 10:41 am at 10:41 am |
  9. Charles L. Shaw, Liverpool, NY

The only person worth my vote is the person who will reduce Big(brother)Government spending. And neither Obama or McCain are committed to do this.
    The only person is committed to reduce spending, thus reduce taxes, that is Bob Barr of the Libertarian party.
    Smaller government lower taxes, a responsible government for a responsible citizen.
    Lets return to a free country again….Are we not adults, than why do I need my Government to make my bed everyday?

October 27, 2008 10:41 am at 10:41 am |
  10. john

I am amazed at how confident and hostile democrats are during this election. The media and Hollywood have been influencing one candidate for months now and it sickens me that people are following suite like lambs to slaughter. America needs to wake up and look at the issues and not what the bias rags like this web site or CBS, NBC and ABC tell you. Obama's message is filled with hopes and dreams, but no substance or facts. Instead of believing everything you hear, read up on the candidates. The McCain ticket is our best hope to get threw these troubling times.

October 27, 2008 10:41 am at 10:41 am |
  11. Will the Real Maverick Please Stand Up?

My friends, the sad thing is that people are still considering voting for the evil and vile McCain/Palin. My friends, how can anyone vote for the slime that they spew forth? My friends, all they offer is four more years of abject failure on top of dividing the citizens of this nation.

They speak with forked tongues and have sold their souls, dignity, conscience, and honor to lie, divide, distort and cheat their way to the White House.

My Friends, a vote for McCain/Palin is to continue America's rapid fall from the world stage and into an dark abyss it will likely never recover from.

McCain, you are a shell of the man you were in 2000…a husk of anger and bitterness.

October 27, 2008 10:41 am at 10:41 am |
  12. Paint VA Blue!

Jean – NY October 27th, 2008 10:28 am ET

CNN is continuing it disengenuous tactics here – the headline uses the terms new polls show bad sign for McCain in the hopes of empopwering Obamaites and disheartening McCain supporters. Unfortunatley for CNN if you read the numbers the polls are actually closing – albeit only a little thus far but they are getting narrower and when you have polls with 2- 3 points separating the candidates and they narrow even more I would not necessarily characterize that as bad news for the one trailing. There are still 8 days left and I have faith in the American people that they will vote McCain/Palin – especially once this Florida story gets around a bit more and begins to factor in. My goodness a few hard questions that Biden doesn't like and the Obama camp cuts off the station totally – makes one wonder how they will handle the tough questions if he's president, especially about this "genereated crisis" that Biden guarantees. Controlling the press is not what made America great.

** Unfortunately we know how John McCain and Sarah Palin will respond.. with war and terror for other country... like that bridge to NOWHERE.. thanks but NO THANKS!

October 27, 2008 10:41 am at 10:41 am |
  13. josephine

Please vote Mccain/Palin. The country can't stand another 8 years of Bush's failed policies. Can we count on you?

October 27, 2008 10:42 am at 10:42 am |
  14. worriedmom

Amazing CNN isn't showing the audio of Spread the Wealth your wonderful Obama is speaking about! Drudgereport.com has it ! Also amazing Barney Frank wants to cut 25 percent from our defense!! Guess the international crisis that Biden is predicting will be true because we won't have the capability to protect ourselves. McCain may not win but I will know at least in my conscious that I tried to get him into the office. so when things go very bad for all of us and you realize that you were used by Obama, then at least I can say proudly "Told you so"
    Instead of relying on Obama and the govt to get us out of this mess, why don't we turn to the Almighty God. He has more power and the power of prayer is a wonderful thing! And for those of you that will knock me down on this statement, I will pray for your lost soul

October 27, 2008 10:42 am at 10:42 am |
  15. francine

I am not happy with either candidate this year, nor do I trust who will deliver on campaign promises. Therefore, I will cast my vote for the man who was tortured and willing to die for this country and my freedom. Of the two, he has earned my vote the Oval Office.

October 27, 2008 10:42 am at 10:42 am |
  16. TM in Colorado

To all the Obama supporters – Don't get cocky. Keep working your butts off to get him into office. The Republicans will lie, cheat and steal to get into the White House. Don't forget what happened to Gore in 2000................................Those who support McCain – get him and his VP pick to start talking about issues instead of spending their time spewing lies, breeding hate and flying by the seat of their pants. You never know, he may be able to save himself in a week's time. First thing he'd have to do is dump Sarah..........That women is absolutely terrifying......................

October 27, 2008 10:42 am at 10:42 am |
  17. randy

it will be a good day in america vote barack obama on november 4

October 27, 2008 10:43 am at 10:43 am |
  18. John from White Plains, NY

Obama/ Biden !!! A breath of fresh air!!

Wish it were Hillary instead, but I have hope, because change is on the way!!!

October 27, 2008 10:43 am at 10:43 am |
  19. bob

Hey, "conservative"! You think oceanfront property in Oklahoma is an absurd concept? Wait a few years. As for "End of America by Obama", where have you been the last eight years? You've already lost some of your freedoms–except the freedom to be an idiot apparently. Now the disenfranchisement of voters starts anew as your party tries to steal another election.

October 27, 2008 10:43 am at 10:43 am |
  20. Women Disgust Me

Women have now rejected 3 different women for National office. They are from different parties and have vastly different political views, So it has nothing to do with politics. The three are Geraldine Ferraro, Sarah Palin and Hillary Clinton. Why?

Obviously women understand themselves and their emotions; and knowing exactly who and what they are, they are terrified to put someone like themselves in the White House. It's sad.

Cindy Carlyle–New York

October 27, 2008 10:43 am at 10:43 am |
  21. Stefanie

GARY HUSH!!! YOUR CAPS LOCK IS ON, BTW!!!

I see you've bought the Bush "kept us safe" for years, bit...I know I feel warm and fuzzy inside and thank Bush everytime I have to take my shoes off in an airport...

Thanks Gary and Bush!

:thumbs down:

What a scaredy cat. Bush hasn't done anything but count his money in the White House. Painfully, after eight years of counting...he is still only on 50. No more C students and underachievers!!

October 27, 2008 10:43 am at 10:43 am |
  22. Mike in Columbus

Forget McCain... Palin/Joe the Plumber 2012!

October 27, 2008 10:43 am at 10:43 am |
  23. Steve K.

Economies do well in war years. McCain and Palin are much more likely to initiate a war or two, less likely to get sidetracked by negotiations, and will extend the wars we are in. Therefore if you want the economy to improve, you must vote for M&P. And if you're out of a job, join the Army, it needs you.

October 27, 2008 10:43 am at 10:43 am |
  24. Kelley

We the good people of this great nation want Obama in the White house for a better world to live in.Get the vote out.

Obama 08'

October 27, 2008 10:43 am at 10:43 am |
  25. Tim

CNN = One sided news! Look who has all their adds on CNN home page.

October 27, 2008 10:44 am at 10:44 am |