October 29th, 2008

CNN declines Obama camp ad request

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/POLITICS/10/01/campaign.wrap/art.obama.afp.gi.jpg caption="CNN turned down the Obama campaign's request to air a 30-minute campaign ad tonight."]
(CNN) - The Obama campaign asked CNN to air its 30-minute campaign ad, scheduled for Wednesday evening, but the network turned them down.

“CNN was approached by the Obama campaign and declined their request,” the network said in a Tuesday statement. “We did not want to pre-empt our programming lineup with a 30-minute campaign commercial. We prefer to use our air to continue to cover the campaign, candidates and issues like we always do from all points of view with the best political team on television.”

Fox News Channel – which is a separate network from FOX – was not asked to air the ad. The half hour infomercial which will be airing on CBS, NBC, FOX television, MSNBC, Univision, BET and TV One at a reported cost of $3 million to the campaign. ABC said it couldn’t come to an agreement in time to meet the Obama campaigns requirement to run it in that time slot.

The Obama camp’s purchase drew headlines when the GOP blasted Major League Baseball’s decision to delay the start of its World Series broadcast on FOX television scheduled for that night, if the series were to call for a sixth game, to accommodate the buy. A Fox executive responsible for the buy said the infomercial would replace pre-game programming, but would not delay the airing of the game. Nonetheless, the Republican candidate took a swing. "No one will delay the World Series game with an infomercial when I'm president," John McCain said Tuesday.

The last pre-election programming of this type came during the 1992 race, when Ross Perot paid for similar time blocs on network television shortly before Election Day.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • CNN
  1. Alex

Your ratings are going to tank tonight *does happy dance*

October 29, 2008 10:31 am at 10:31 am |
  2. Barbara - 65 yr old white female in NC

Guess you won't have many viewers that 30 minutes.

You all give McCain/Palin all the free time they want for their negative and hate-filled crap.

I'm disappointed in CNN AGAIN

October 29, 2008 10:31 am at 10:31 am |
  3. Jim Schimmer

McSame is McBush for another 4 years if you want to continue the bush policies.

I never thought anyone could top Bush in intelligence, but yes Palin did it..

I am 100000% sure she is not ready to be commander in chief!!

October 29, 2008 10:32 am at 10:32 am |
  4. Chips

McCain just mad because he can't do one.

October 29, 2008 10:33 am at 10:33 am |
  5. NO Palin

Ok CNN..So whats the point? Did Campbell Brown get upset and put her foot down?

October 29, 2008 10:33 am at 10:33 am |
  6. DMD

Ya finally woke up, eh CNN???

October 29, 2008 10:33 am at 10:33 am |
  7. Steve of Florida

McCain will not have to worry about delaying any World Series games since he will NEVER be President!

October 29, 2008 10:33 am at 10:33 am |
  8. Marsha

No problem- I'll catch it on MSNBC- I've been catching a lot more stories there lately.....

October 29, 2008 10:33 am at 10:33 am |
  9. Republican Woman in PA for Obama

Yeah, you tell 'em McCain! Because the world series is so much more important than the future of our country.....

Obama/Biden 2008!

October 29, 2008 10:33 am at 10:33 am |
  10. Molly

GOOD for CNN!!!! – and Thank You for posting the networks that will air this "show" – so I can be sure to turn them OFF!
    Finally – CNN and Ms. Brown are reporting the News/Facts about both candidates – better late than never! But – watch your ratings SOAR!

October 29, 2008 10:34 am at 10:34 am |
  11. Larry

Don't worry about what would happen if you were president John

You never will be .........

October 29, 2008 10:34 am at 10:34 am |
  12. Javasia Jones

that's why your rating are going down. MSNBC is the #1 Network for Politics. LOL

October 29, 2008 10:34 am at 10:34 am |
  13. vj CT

well well well...

CNN will be the least watched cable network from 8-8:30pm tonight

LOL

slooooow news day huh?

-V

October 29, 2008 10:34 am at 10:34 am |
  14. Betty

Meanwhile, in other news, Obama maintains his lead over McCain in virtually all battleground states...more at 11...

October 29, 2008 10:34 am at 10:34 am |
  15. Joe the $1/4M plumber, Idaho Falls

I'm voting for McSame....keep the goldun faucet flowing!

October 29, 2008 10:35 am at 10:35 am |
  16. Spencer/VIRGINIA

It's ok CNN. We know you support McCain. The 30 infomercial will be seen on other networks and your ratings will drop because you won't air it. Your loss guys.

OBAMA/BIDEN 08

October 29, 2008 10:35 am at 10:35 am |
  17. Glenn in California

"No one will delay the World Series game with an infomercial when I'm president."

Wow, now there's a campaign promise that voters will flock to ... NOT. Thankfully, this will be over in 6 days so that President elect Obama can get at the task in hand.

October 29, 2008 10:35 am at 10:35 am |
  18. blindsided

Learn about this man Mr. Obama. Do NOT just go along with the promise of hope… I know we all need things to be better. Obama is not the answer he promises:

From Audacity of Hope:
    "I will stand with the Muslims should the political winds shift in an ugly direction."

From Dreams of My Father:
    "I ceased to advertise my mother's race at the age of 12 or 13, when I began to suspect that by doing so I was ingratiating myself to whites."
    "I found a solace in nursing a pervasive sense of grievance and animosity against my mother's race."

October 29, 2008 10:35 am at 10:35 am |
  19. michael from fl

go cnn for not doing that! it makes you guys seem more... neutral.

October 29, 2008 10:35 am at 10:35 am |
  20. Michelle

I respect CNN's decision to not broadcast Senator Obama's campaign commercial in order to continue your own campaign coverage. However, those of us serious about listening to his message will be tuned in to one of the networks that will be caring the commercial, and NOT to CNN. Sorry.

October 29, 2008 10:35 am at 10:35 am |
  21. thomas

John McCain will make sure that "no one will delay the World Series game with an infomercial when I'm president"? Is that one of the responsibilities of the president? McCain seems to want to control everything when he becomes president. Is that what he means by smaller government – a dictatorship?

October 29, 2008 10:35 am at 10:35 am |
  22. Preco, NY

Who watches CNN anyways?

I will be watching MSNBC as always!!!!!

October 29, 2008 10:36 am at 10:36 am |
  23. Alison B

You could have done it during the Lou Dobb show.

October 29, 2008 10:36 am at 10:36 am |
  24. MD

Truth be told, if the McCain had thought of it first they would have no problem with it. It's not just that Senator Obama's camp has collected more contributions, the fact is, they are simply a smarter, more tight knit, cohesive team than that of Senator McCain.

I'm looking forward to voting for the SMART KIDS in the election. No more DUMB GUYS running the country for me...

October 29, 2008 10:36 am at 10:36 am |
  25. Frank in NC

I say take the money. CNN is a 24/7 Obama campaign commercial anyway. LOL.

October 29, 2008 10:36 am at 10:36 am |