October 29th, 2008

CNN declines Obama camp ad request

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/POLITICS/10/01/campaign.wrap/art.obama.afp.gi.jpg caption="CNN turned down the Obama campaign's request to air a 30-minute campaign ad tonight."]
(CNN) - The Obama campaign asked CNN to air its 30-minute campaign ad, scheduled for Wednesday evening, but the network turned them down.

“CNN was approached by the Obama campaign and declined their request,” the network said in a Tuesday statement. “We did not want to pre-empt our programming lineup with a 30-minute campaign commercial. We prefer to use our air to continue to cover the campaign, candidates and issues like we always do from all points of view with the best political team on television.”

Fox News Channel – which is a separate network from FOX – was not asked to air the ad. The half hour infomercial which will be airing on CBS, NBC, FOX television, MSNBC, Univision, BET and TV One at a reported cost of $3 million to the campaign. ABC said it couldn’t come to an agreement in time to meet the Obama campaigns requirement to run it in that time slot.

The Obama camp’s purchase drew headlines when the GOP blasted Major League Baseball’s decision to delay the start of its World Series broadcast on FOX television scheduled for that night, if the series were to call for a sixth game, to accommodate the buy. A Fox executive responsible for the buy said the infomercial would replace pre-game programming, but would not delay the airing of the game. Nonetheless, the Republican candidate took a swing. "No one will delay the World Series game with an infomercial when I'm president," John McCain said Tuesday.

The last pre-election programming of this type came during the 1992 race, when Ross Perot paid for similar time blocs on network television shortly before Election Day.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • CNN
  1. I am a xtian

@ Blindsided,
    You are one of those that continue to give credence to my thoughts that a huge amount of average Americans are illiterate, fear mongering, divisive, hypocrites. I am sure your defense would be “I am a Christian”. If you did not know Christianity is defined as being Christ-like. You and your likes are not Christ-like and I pity those that will one day call you daddy or mommy. Do you really think that people in Chicago would vote for a terrorist that is anti-American and would sell out to some Muslim hegemony somewhere? Really!!!

October 29, 2008 10:56 am at 10:56 am |
  2. mav, FL

CNN has got some good analyst. I watch them the most. I am sure they will discuss this AD for next two days and I will watch their analysis. McCain is just crying coz he cannot do it, Obama did it. Vote now ... Vote Obama. Yes we can.

October 29, 2008 10:56 am at 10:56 am |
  3. FED UP!

Awww why am i not surprised!!
    Did Brown throw a fit because it wasn't Palin who was asking for airtime?!

Don't worry about it, I'll be tuning into MSNBC!

Yet another reason why my husband and i should once and for all BOYCOTT CNN!! why am i even blogging on your site!?!?!

OBAMA – BIDEN!!

October 29, 2008 10:56 am at 10:56 am |
  4. Margaux B

I think CNN wants to be neutral and NOT set a precident to air political informercials. Which is fine. However, I am out of the country today, and I only have access to FOX and CNN International. I am really upset that I am not going to be able to watch with all the other Americans.

I am going to check the Obama site and UTube to see if it is or will get posted there!

October 29, 2008 10:56 am at 10:56 am |
  5. Ms. Jenny

Who cares, it's still going to be on NBC, CBS, FOX, MSNBC and, Univision.

October 29, 2008 10:56 am at 10:56 am |
  6. THE WORLD IS WATCHING *HOPE IS COMING

HATERS

CNN showed their true colors when Obama was in the primary with Clinton

NO SURPRISE HERE

OBAMA/08

October 29, 2008 10:56 am at 10:56 am |
  7. Brenda in Evansville, Indiana

Instead, CNN is going to let John McCain go on Larry King Live and give a 30-minute campaign commercial and pay him for the benefit.

Message to CNN. Stop acting like the moral authority on election coverage. These cable news channel insults at each other are just childish and if I have to hear "Best Political Team Ever" one more time, I swear I'll vomit.

8. Kathleen, Calgary

I understand that you want to appear unbiased CNN. I'd listen to Sen. Obama's message of respect and and understanding of what it takes to dig the country out of the hole GW has put you in over the continuing lies and misrepresentaions spouted by the McCain Palin ticket any day.
    I truly hope your post speach coverage is indepth and truthful. Interesting that Larry King will have McCain on to pathetically dispute Mr Obama's message tonight. Larry – I feel for you!

9. Joyce

CNN its obvious that you dont support OBAMA but ve it in mind that OBAMA ll make ya headline as US PRESIDENT come 04-11-08

10. Barbara Caniff

I now know why I switched from CNN to MSNBC. The only human being you have is Cafferty. GO OBAMA/BIDEN.

11. Paul from Kissimmee

Maybe he'll toast Rashid Khalidi again.

12. Sue T

I have just decided I will watch the election night with MSNBC instead of CNN.........you have just lost a loyal viewer

13. Spencer/VIRGINIA

CNN, what are you guys thinking? No wonder I've been watching MSNBC more lately. Campbell Brown, where is your head at? I loved it when you had Tucker Bounds trying to fight his way out of a paper bag, but now you sond like an outright McCain supporter. Chris Matthews and Olbermann are about to pick up a new viewer.

OBAMA/BIDEN 08

14. Azariah The Democrat

It's Ok CNN you don't have to let Barack explain to us how Mcbush has been riding shotgun with Bush, and his policies and now wants to take over the wheel a drive us right off a cliff. We already know you don't want Barack to tell the truth, and actually explain to us his plans, instead of using smear tatics like Palin. We completly understand that you never expected Obama to get this far, and now that he request your help to reach out to americans, you want to shut the door, so he can't get in. But let me tell you this, no door that god has open can any man or station Close, nor can any door that god has closed can any man open. As for the smear tatics John mcCain likes to use, let me remind him of this, No weapon form against God's children shall prosper, it just won't work so give it up. I'll end by saying come the fourth of next month, Obama will be our president, and there's nothing you or McCane can do about it. Remember as the bible says: the head will be the tail, and the lenders shall become the borrowers.

Oh and P.S. John McCain and Palin, If your gonna keep saying Obama wants to redistribute the wealth, then go head and say what's on your mind, we know what you mean, and who your trying to say he wants to give it back to. Your underline words, and some reading in between the lines gives most people the conclusion that your targeting African-Americans when you say redistibute the wealth, and welfare. You have six days until lights go out for you, so you might as well go out with your "striaght-talk" and tell us the turht for once

15. David Goldman

I HAVE BEEN A GREAT SUPPORTER OF CNN FOR

MANY DECADES. NOT SOMETHING I WILL CONTINUE.

16. Mel B.

One more thing...Campbell why not just go to FOX with Hannity you seem to fit in better wtih them or commentate with Rush Limbaugh. I find my self turning the channel now everytime from CNN when she is on the air.

17. Atl

It's amazing how the media says these candiated lie but this past week I've seen CNN totally change it tune. ESPECIALLY CAMPBELL BROWN.. They appeared to be fair early on, but as the election is in it's final week we're starting to see what they really think. To me, the media should report the news fairly and evenly. I would'nt have a problem with Campbell, Hannity, and O'Reilly, if they bashed McCain ans much as they bash Obama. The hate is wrttien all over their face. I mean is that right?

18. KD

That's ok, We have been watching MSNBC alot more, since CNN seems to hold a different standard to Obama and lets McSame old Bush get away with alot. We at least hear of the voter supression efforts for the GOP on-air like the flyer in virginia, the efforts in NC, PA, NV and CO telling students they cannot vote where they go to school (the Supreme Court has ruled they can vote there), or telling them they can lose their scholarships, lose health insurance, parents will pay more taxes, etc. and not just articles like the ones hidden on the web page of the new Conservative News Network (CNN).

CNN use to be a respected news network until you started hold Sen. Obama to a higher standard then McBush and Falin. The most racist, wealth redistrubition to corporation and rice (upper 5% welfare).

19. Bulldog

CNN is clearly afraid of the names the GOP will call them if they decided to air this ad. The GOP has forever used the media as part of their smear campaign and CNN is scared of being smeared by them. Oh well, I will be watching the Obama program along with millions of others while CNN will be crying when they don't reap the rewards.

20. joe

BREAKING NEWS GUYS,

AS IT WAS REPORTED ON CNN HERE YESTERDAY, THE GOP HAD A CLOSE DOOR MEETING HELD BY PRES BUSH YESTERDAY...DIFFERENT STRATEGIES WERE MENTIONNED AS TO HOW TO ATTENTION CAN BE ALTERED FROM THE ECONOMY TO NATIONAL SECURITY AND FOREIGN AFFAIRS.....IT IS BELIEVED BY MANY THAT TIME IS RUNNING OUT FOR MCCAIN SO MARK MY WORDS.....THIS WEEKEND SOME BREAKING NEWS IS TO COME LIKE A BIN LADEN TAPE OR THE MIGHT HIGHTEN THE TERRORISM THREAT SO PPL GO IN THE VOTING BOTH WITH FEAR.....

PLEASE AMERICA DON'T FALL FOR IT THIS TIME AROUND

OBAMA/BIDEN

21. Stacy (PA)

I'm so sick of people complaining that Obama is using this money to pump up his image and not for the American people. Number one – it's the American people giving him the money – small donation after small donation. He is using it to win the election and he's doing a brilliant job. McCain is a loser and so is Palin. Maverick's my butt. They can't even run a campaign.

22. Dempublican

With Lou Dobbs and Dan Senor's wife at CNN, no wonder CNN is fast becoming an ultra right-leaning network. I have stopped watching... for a long time...

October 29, 2008 10:57 am at 10:57 am |
  23. MY FRIENDS - REPUBLI-KLANS JOA$$HN McINSANE/PAIN-LIN ARE SPREADING HATE & BIGOTRY IN AMERICA

CNN wants to be in the news for one word: pandering...............no wonder you guys are tanking in viewers rating.

October 29, 2008 10:58 am at 10:58 am |
  24. karen

I WAS READING THIS NEWS TODAY THAT GENERAL PETAEUS AND PRESIDENT BUSH ARE PLANNING TO STAR TALKS WITH TALIBAN. I HAVE NOT SEEN THIS NEWS IN CNN WHY?

October 29, 2008 10:58 am at 10:58 am |
  25. rr

no wonder msnbc is doing better than cnn. No cnn for me tonight

October 29, 2008 10:58 am at 10:58 am |