October 29th, 2008

CNN declines Obama camp ad request

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/POLITICS/10/01/campaign.wrap/art.obama.afp.gi.jpg caption="CNN turned down the Obama campaign's request to air a 30-minute campaign ad tonight."]
(CNN) - The Obama campaign asked CNN to air its 30-minute campaign ad, scheduled for Wednesday evening, but the network turned them down.

“CNN was approached by the Obama campaign and declined their request,” the network said in a Tuesday statement. “We did not want to pre-empt our programming lineup with a 30-minute campaign commercial. We prefer to use our air to continue to cover the campaign, candidates and issues like we always do from all points of view with the best political team on television.”

Fox News Channel – which is a separate network from FOX – was not asked to air the ad. The half hour infomercial which will be airing on CBS, NBC, FOX television, MSNBC, Univision, BET and TV One at a reported cost of $3 million to the campaign. ABC said it couldn’t come to an agreement in time to meet the Obama campaigns requirement to run it in that time slot.

The Obama camp’s purchase drew headlines when the GOP blasted Major League Baseball’s decision to delay the start of its World Series broadcast on FOX television scheduled for that night, if the series were to call for a sixth game, to accommodate the buy. A Fox executive responsible for the buy said the infomercial would replace pre-game programming, but would not delay the airing of the game. Nonetheless, the Republican candidate took a swing. "No one will delay the World Series game with an infomercial when I'm president," John McCain said Tuesday.

The last pre-election programming of this type came during the 1992 race, when Ross Perot paid for similar time blocs on network television shortly before Election Day.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • CNN
  1. Garrett

Why not, CNN? You guys think what you have to say is more important than what the possible future president of the US has to say? This is why, more and more, I watch MSNBC.

Trust me.. I've heard it all from the so called "best political team"..gag

October 29, 2008 10:37 am at 10:37 am |
  2. katiec

Of course, CNN will not run the ad.
    Now, if it was the republicans requesting it would have been
    a different story. Cnn's bias is so obvious, thank God, we
    at least have Jack Cafferty.
    Read the blogs on other channels. Viewers are totally
    disgusted with CNN.

October 29, 2008 10:37 am at 10:37 am |
  3. Kimberly in Texas

CNN...bad move...even FOX took the money.

October 29, 2008 10:37 am at 10:37 am |
  4. Abdul

Who cares CNN? We can watch it somewhere else.

October 29, 2008 10:37 am at 10:37 am |
  5. Lilarose in Bandon, Oregon

Whatever, CNN.

I will just watch it on one of the other channels you listed in your story.

Buh-bye!

October 29, 2008 10:37 am at 10:37 am |
  6. snakebite

i argeement mostly of people said about john mccain and sarah palin are good for in the future. i really believe it. but for me about obama, and i don't want obama will get distory that obama will take alot of cut taxes to people's money. all people will goes crazy ;and all people loosing everything for theirs home and theirs car payment and thiers children put to foster home.. it's going happen. we don't want do this... also i don't care about either matter black or white. all we care to protection our country to safely. i will pray to god help people for safely... but john mccain and sarah palin know what to do. we need to vote john mccain run for the president '08 thanks you for understand

October 29, 2008 10:37 am at 10:37 am |
  7. Katy

Maybe it is just me, but every time I turn on CNN either Sen. McCain or Gov. Palin are on. I am begining to think that CNN is not so unbiased after all.

October 29, 2008 10:37 am at 10:37 am |
  8. billy pilgrim

Hmm. I don't think regulating MLB and its TV contracts comes under the powers of the Presidency, Senator McCain.

I for one am welcoming the subtraction of the pregame show. The less I have to listen to Joe Buck, the better.

October 29, 2008 10:38 am at 10:38 am |
  9. ME

Marsha, then you are a koolaid drinker. Congrats.

October 29, 2008 10:38 am at 10:38 am |
  10. Wes

You guys will be talking about this ad for the next two days in the news (over and over and over and over), yet you won't air it? The hypocrisy....

October 29, 2008 10:38 am at 10:38 am |
  11. Ryan W

MSNBC.. getting better and better

October 29, 2008 10:38 am at 10:38 am |
  12. Michelle, PA

That's OK, it's what being a free country with a free media is all about. I'll be watching it on one of the networks.

October 29, 2008 10:38 am at 10:38 am |
  13. Tim S.

I love the way this sort of thing gets played. If CNN would not want to air the ad, then why are you wasting your time reporting that you would not air the ad?? And if Republicans had thought of it, they would have called it innovative. I think it's a wise use of campaign funds for Obama, and the fact that Obama has the financial resources to do it is a testament to the millions of people that see the need for a big change and have supported him with small campaign contributions. I guess Obama is the true maverick.

October 29, 2008 10:38 am at 10:38 am |
  14. Essay

This isn't even newsworthy. The fact is that the Obama campaign had the money and the McCain campaign didn't, case closed. Let's move onto more substantive issues...

October 29, 2008 10:38 am at 10:38 am |
  15. Bushwhacked in Eugene, OR

Sounds a lot like whining and sour grapes - as if he can control what the networks choose to do with their time. C'mon, McCain - can't you find something a little more important to talk about?

I am so sick of people complaining about Obama's birth certificate, citizenship, et al. FactCheck states that they have seen and touched the certificate and are comfortable that it's authentic. And even if he was born in Kenya - so what! His mother was an American citizen and as such any child of hers is automatically an American citizen, regardless of where he/she was born. Remember, John McCain was born in Panama - what's the difference? None - other than the politics of fear and division as opposed to the politics of hope and unity.

I WILL NOT BE RULED BY FEAR AND DOUBT! I have voted for Obama/Biden. Please, Vote early if you can, but VOTE no matter what!

October 29, 2008 10:38 am at 10:38 am |
  16. Chips

Nobody is going to be watching CNN tonight. So you might as well have done the infomercial.

October 29, 2008 10:38 am at 10:38 am |
  17. dEMOBRAT

Who is this guy? Marsha- glad to see you are interested in all points of view.

THE MAINSTREAM MEDIA HAS CAST THEIR VOTE- NOW YOU DECIDE.

October 29, 2008 10:38 am at 10:38 am |
  18. Lisa

Hmm, I find that interesting. Well MSNBC will have it, so we can watch it there. I wonder why CNN would do that?

October 29, 2008 10:39 am at 10:39 am |
  19. Real Talk

This is the only time besides the Superbowl that I will be looking forward to a commercial. Im glad I have other options to watch it.

October 29, 2008 10:39 am at 10:39 am |
  20. SoCal

CNN do you think people interested in the Election will be watching Campbell Brown or the Obama's infomercial?

October 29, 2008 10:39 am at 10:39 am |
  21. MD, TX

Thank you CNN. However, be prepared for Obama's thuggish tactics they have used against other media outlets who don't tow the line.

October 29, 2008 10:39 am at 10:39 am |
  22. ME

Jim Schimmer. Please do some research. Did you see Palin's energy speech today? No? That explains your comments then.

October 29, 2008 10:39 am at 10:39 am |
  23. therealist

Cigerettes for votes, media restrictions and personal attacks on anyone that dares question the agenda.

Obamachange we can believe in..

October 29, 2008 10:39 am at 10:39 am |
  24. Tony_N_ATL

I love CNN but you def lost some cool points...I have been spending more and more time watching Chris Matthews and Keith Olberman anyway! I still love ya but of late you have been sharing me...If MSNBC can become a little more balanced, you will lose me!

October 29, 2008 10:39 am at 10:39 am |
  25. Diane

John McCain is right on – no one will have to stop the ballgame to listen to him – we tend to tune him out now. He has had his chance and went nowhere. This is what we would get if he were to be elected now – nowhere. This country needs a leader and that is in Barack. He definitely has the people's ear – hear that Republicans. Americans are tired of the same old same old politics. Democrats be sure to motivate all to vote Barack – this is Americas' time to be heard!!!!

October 29, 2008 10:39 am at 10:39 am |