October 29th, 2008

CNN declines Obama camp ad request

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/POLITICS/10/01/campaign.wrap/art.obama.afp.gi.jpg caption="CNN turned down the Obama campaign's request to air a 30-minute campaign ad tonight."]
(CNN) - The Obama campaign asked CNN to air its 30-minute campaign ad, scheduled for Wednesday evening, but the network turned them down.

“CNN was approached by the Obama campaign and declined their request,” the network said in a Tuesday statement. “We did not want to pre-empt our programming lineup with a 30-minute campaign commercial. We prefer to use our air to continue to cover the campaign, candidates and issues like we always do from all points of view with the best political team on television.”

Fox News Channel – which is a separate network from FOX – was not asked to air the ad. The half hour infomercial which will be airing on CBS, NBC, FOX television, MSNBC, Univision, BET and TV One at a reported cost of $3 million to the campaign. ABC said it couldn’t come to an agreement in time to meet the Obama campaigns requirement to run it in that time slot.

The Obama camp’s purchase drew headlines when the GOP blasted Major League Baseball’s decision to delay the start of its World Series broadcast on FOX television scheduled for that night, if the series were to call for a sixth game, to accommodate the buy. A Fox executive responsible for the buy said the infomercial would replace pre-game programming, but would not delay the airing of the game. Nonetheless, the Republican candidate took a swing. "No one will delay the World Series game with an infomercial when I'm president," John McCain said Tuesday.

The last pre-election programming of this type came during the 1992 race, when Ross Perot paid for similar time blocs on network television shortly before Election Day.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • CNN
  1. Joseph Johnson/CHICAGO

I believe that this may hurt Obama because people may start getting sick of seeing him on TV all the time he's getting all the air time and its obvious that he is in the front running to win the presidency so I don't really understand why he needs to do 30 minute infomercial anyway. That in my own opinion is money his campaign could save.

October 29, 2008 10:50 am at 10:50 am |
  2. Pamela

That's ok CNN. Tonight and on election night I will be watching the election coverage on MSNBC. Thanks

October 29, 2008 10:50 am at 10:50 am |
  3. Ga Girl

Good for you CNN , Obama CAN NOT buy my vote with his money or empty words , maybe he should think about spreading his own money around and leave what little I have alone

McCain / Palin

October 29, 2008 10:50 am at 10:50 am |
  4. Mark

I love McCain's statement: "No one will delay the World Series game with an infomercial when I'm president." Does he now propose to have the government control how TV networks run their business, that is, sell their time? Funny how a self-styled opponent of government intervention wants such government intervention.

October 29, 2008 10:50 am at 10:50 am |
  5. Kelvin the unemplyed IT professional

I'm gonna get rich saling "I survived the Bush years" T-Shirts. Less than a week folks, I've already cast my vote for Obama.

October 29, 2008 10:50 am at 10:50 am |
  6. D&D

Well CNN, then don't be surprised when your audience rate goes low during those 30 min of Obama infomercial time...most people will be on those others channels!

October 29, 2008 10:50 am at 10:50 am |
  7. grahame

Here's a prediction. In four years time the policies of the Republicans just will not work. Hopefully by then the American public will be educated enough to see through these hateful morons such as Sarah Palin and John McCain HERO TO ZERO or
    SARAH PALIN ZERO TO ZERO.

October 29, 2008 10:50 am at 10:50 am |
  8. Independent from GA

No matter what, it saves the dems $3 mil since CNN will have to cover this story one in one way shape or form if they want people to tune into CNN. Either way, it's a win win for the dems.

October 29, 2008 10:50 am at 10:50 am |
  9. Gracie

John McCain only WISHED he had the money to buy a 30-minute Ad! That's why the GOP is talking "smack". They CAN'T AFFORD to purchase anything.

Johnny boy wished he could raised $150 million. I don't blame Sen. Obama. If you have the money, go for it!! That's the beauty of the American Dream, if you raised it, youi could spend it anyway you want.

HA! HA! HA! HA! HA!

October 29, 2008 10:50 am at 10:50 am |
  10. snakebite

also john mccain and sarah palin give us low tax and we all can affordable to for living and everything. that is good thing what we need it. forget it about obama take too much cut taxs no way..

11. Andrew Luwanja

I am stunned by your decision, I have been watching your election coverage which at times seems unbiased.......What the heck, I will turn my dial to another network and keep it that way for the remainder of the election. Good luck with your decision, I am glad we have other choices. It was good to know you guys.

12. Gary Penders

Watching CNN's Poll of Polls, or Poh of Poh? Why are the percentages an Ac Dc evailuation of any other pole?? Where do you get your cross section. From people who are home during the day waiting for the once a month mail-cal;l!!

13. liz in Ohio

After Campbell Brown called Obama a liar – which he IS NOT (read the agreement prior to to the primary that was signed Ms. Brown – you are OBVIOUSLY full of Bull and & Bias) it's no wonder the Obama 30 min. special won't be aired.
    I'll be watching MSNBC which has been kicking CNN and Fox's butt.
    Oh, I know that this won't be posted – I'll still be stuck in moderation.

14. Jewel - GA

Well CNN (cCain Network News) it's your loss. We won't be watching Campbell Brown tonight...and won't be watching the negative comments afterwards. Will stick with MSNBC. Love you Larry King but won't be watching you tonight either. Especially since Obama has to pay for his time on CNN and McCain gets free advertisment. Hmmmmm

15. Lisa M

McCain doesn't get it one more time.

BTW love the Joe the Plumber campaigning. They couldn't do anything better to sink their chances.

Joe isn't a plumber doesn't own a company can't afford to buy a company won't be touched by Obama's tax plans in trouble with tax evasion. . . . .

October 29, 2008 10:51 am at 10:51 am |
  16. Sarah.....and my last name isn't Palin!

Why and you will have your analysts talk about it after... The best political team from another planet.

17. Real_Obama?

Who is the real Obama? And who is Rashid Khalidi, an extremist, who Barack Obama says has a great impact on his thinking?? Finally, where do all the (foreign) campaign funds come from, anything illegal???

18. Dealt, Portugal

Pity... but I'll just switch to another station. By the way, Campbell Brown has almost convinced me to switch to another site, too. "No bull"??? First it was the "Palin diva" thing, now it's "Obama lied last November". I betcha she could at least pretend to be unbiased a little bit better, but I guess she must be getting desperate...

19. dave

Hey blind sided go get off on you pale'n,that wrinkly troll!

20. this one is for That One

CNN may as well turn off the lights and save the power...cause no one will be watching your bias !!!

21. Robert

Once again, McCain gets his facts wrong.

22. IB

Do you "CNN" have any idea what happens when Obama becomes president? Your ratings will drop drastically and you will be the laughing stock of all networks. "Nob Heads" is what the Brits will call such a move. Miss Campbell Brown is definitely in love with Sarah Palin which is why i believe you should move back to Alaska (that place where Russia can be seen from) with her after the election. I will be watching MSNBC for the rest of the year and throughout Obama's presidency. You guys just lost a fan.

October 29, 2008 10:52 am at 10:52 am |
  23. Jane

I don't care at all that CNN does not show this, others are right, where I usually watch CNN until 10pm every evening I will tonight change the channel for awhile. What I don't understand however is why you made it news that you decided not to, big deal. CNN has been guilty all along of trying to balance this election rather than balancing the coverage of it, this story does nothing but confirm that.

October 29, 2008 10:52 am at 10:52 am |
  24. Brian the Early Voter!!

I think McCain is in the tank for Obama.. thats why he picked Palin.. he hates the republicans and Bush and this is his way of getting even.. he is exactign revenge for not being nominated in 2000 or 2004... yeah John McCain... sorry but I my vote for Obama is already in the books!!

October 29, 2008 10:52 am at 10:52 am |
  25. Ohio Independent

I now know which news networks to watch... I have totally switched off CNN and the rest of my family. Your bias is unbelievable...

October 29, 2008 10:52 am at 10:52 am |