October 29th, 2008

Judge: PA must have paper ballots ready if half of machines fail

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Pennsylvania must have paper ballots available for its voters if half the machines at a polling place break down, a federal judge ruled Wednesday.

The state wanted paper ballots mandatory only if all the machines in a polling place failed.

"Emergency back-up paper ballots shall be used thereafter until the county board of elections is able to make the necessary repairs to the machine(s) or is able to place into operation," Judge Harvey Bartle ruled.

The state will not appeal the decision. In a statement, Secretary of the Commonwealth Pedro Cortes said the state will work with counties to ensure emergency ballots are used consistently, and that there is a sufficient supply.

1. Mickey, NY

Looks like the scumbag Republicans aren't going to steal Pennsylvainia!

October 29, 2008 09:19 pm at 9:19 pm |
  2. ken

Former,GOP I guess the truth hurts, but look at him tonight looking back and forth reading from the teleprompter. Very impressive, and he has many people fooled for the Hollywood production, but Iraq and Afghanistan is not Hollywood and we don't need him putting his foot in his mouth with these seasoned world leaders especially if he has bloopers Joe Biden at his side.

October 29, 2008 09:20 pm at 9:20 pm |
  3. Southerner

McCain you are no war hero, in fact you a loser who gives millions of my tax money to fund terrorist in the form of grants. I wish you would have stayed in 'Nam, you are the worst terrorist of all, you hide behind the American flag and call your coward self a patriot.

October 29, 2008 09:20 pm at 9:20 pm |
  4. Real Talk

I hope they do have paper ballots ready because after hearing Barack speak for half and hour "that did not post-pone the world series, It's game time was 8:35 p.m." I realized how much Obama wants to help the average American, and there will not be enough ballots for Obama supporters.

October 29, 2008 09:21 pm at 9:21 pm |
  5. Scott L

Purported comments by Obama on the LA Times video tape:

“Israel has no God-given right to occupy Palestine” plus there’s been “genocide against the Palestinian people by Israelis.”

If you liberals want to trash me for this, then demand the LA Times release the tape and set the record straight.

October 29, 2008 09:21 pm at 9:21 pm |
  6. Darius

Everytime I see McCain, I see Bush. He just looks dishonest. He so busy attacking Obama, that we (the people) are not even the topic of his discussion. I watched the info commerical that Obama aired. I liked it..my mind is set..and he didn't once mention McCain...he talked only about the people.

October 29, 2008 09:21 pm at 9:21 pm |
  7. dzung,frisco,tx.

To: Wait,I need to see and hear the Odumb dumbs informercial,because I havent see or hear it from Obama yet,but I did hear a lot from your belove VP candidate Saral Failing,everytime she opened her mouth you can see the words "I am stupid" jumped out.

October 29, 2008 09:22 pm at 9:22 pm |
  8. insider

Dear racist ken and pat,
    it's not about being a black man or a white man.
    Obama is just a man!!!

Thats a lot better than having a woman in charge. You Betcha! 😉

October 29, 2008 09:22 pm at 9:22 pm |
  9. pam Eugene OR

There can be no question. Every American who turns out to vote must be counted.
    I just watched the 30 minute Obama ad and I had tears rolling down me cheeks. It reminded me of JFK.
    I said YES to Obama each time he asked
    Yes I will vote for him
    Yes I will go door to door for him
    Yes I will work the phone banks
    Yes I will give more money
    Yes I will do whatever this honorable man asks of me to see to it that Barack Hussien Obama is the next President of the UNITED States of America!

October 29, 2008 09:22 pm at 9:22 pm |
  10. Bird

Ken are you serious? Why would Obama sit down with Sean Hannity? All the man does is say "Ayers, Wright, radical..." on repeat. This man is not a journalist he is a propaganda pusher. Obama has not been hiding anything from the American public. He has explained his relationship with Ayers and Wright. In the Ayers case it was not a relationship at all. He sat on a board with him that met once a year that man republicans also sat on. It just makes me so sad to see how Fox News viewers like yourself have been completely brainwashed to believe this "we don't know who he is!!! bs". Did you know that your little VP candidate is married to someone who is a part of a group that wants Alaska to secede from the union? Sounds a little unAmerican to me but you are afraid because "we don't know Obama". Get educated.

October 29, 2008 09:23 pm at 9:23 pm |
  11. barbara miller

YAY for yet another Judge. This is not 2000 or 2004! We're not going to be made fools out of again, thank goodness.
    But CNN please tell me WHY you've fact-checked that Obama does not have an ongoing political tie with that Kalid guy, but you don't report that John McCain gave him so much money??? This does not seem like fair and balanced news does it?

October 29, 2008 09:23 pm at 9:23 pm |
  12. S. Boatman

Obama Just Gave The Best Infomercial Ever!

October 29, 2008 09:24 pm at 9:24 pm |
  13. Susan in Pennsylvania

I will never believe the results if John McCain wins Pennsylvania. Never.

October 29, 2008 09:24 pm at 9:24 pm |
  14. Sheri

President Barack OBAMA

October 29, 2008 09:25 pm at 9:25 pm |
  15. Winnie Hussein.... in Montana

Just watched the Obama campaign ad. Wow, I thought it was very moving. I think I just watched my generation's JFK.

October 29, 2008 09:25 pm at 9:25 pm |
  16. Tim E

PA has a very real problem with this court directive. Most of the paper in PA has been used wiping up the mess Palin and Joe the Plumber left behind. The rest was last seen clinging to a rotorooted John McCain. John insists that race is not the tissue. 99 and 44/100ths of the American public will decide this race on the tissues. And that's pure ivory or some other mostly white tsk tsk.

October 29, 2008 09:26 pm at 9:26 pm |
  17. Darryl Miller, why do they still lie?

Governor Sarah Palin is the subject of a new ethics complaint, according to a new document obtained by CBS News.

This time, she's being questioned for charging the state for her children's travel expenses.

The complaint, filed last Friday by a retired lineman in Anchorage, accuses her of Misuse of Official Position: "Gov. Palin attempted to and in fact did use her official position for personal gain by securing unwarranted benefits for her daughters..." All allegations are related to state reimbursed travel.

Palin recently escaped legal liability for her husband's efforts to have the state's public safety director fired, though the investigating committee rebuked her ethics.

"Palin ran on the platform of ethics, transparency and anti-corruption. I'm tired of the hypocrisy that exists in Government and people need to know the truth," Frank Gwartney, the ex-lineman, told CBS.

October 29, 2008 09:27 pm at 9:27 pm |
  18. anna

Why wouldn't we require paper ballots is it because no one want proof of the recounted votes

October 29, 2008 09:27 pm at 9:27 pm |
  19. jessica in va

I LIVE IN THE COUNTRY THERE MIGHT AT THE MOST BE 200 VOTERS IN THE DISTRIC IN VA, WE HAVE 2 VOTING MACHINES (TOUCH SCREEN) SO I REALLY DO NOT GET WHY PEOPLE ARE COMPLANING, I MEAN IF WE HAVE GOOD VOTING MACHINE IN THE MIDDLE OF NOW WHERE VIRGINIA, THAT MEANS THAT BIG CITIES AND BIG DISTRICS PROBLE GOT THIERS A LONG TIME AGO.

MCCAIN/ PALIN

October 29, 2008 09:27 pm at 9:27 pm |
  20. soccer mom

Good. Everybody has a right to vote and for it to be counted. Period. No excuses.

October 29, 2008 09:27 pm at 9:27 pm |
  21. Henry Miller, Cary, NC

Maybe they can make things easier for the average American dim-bulb and just have the ballots pre-printed with the electoral choices of whoever is willing to pay the most for the privilege–that's more or less how it works anyway.

October 29, 2008 09:28 pm at 9:28 pm |
  22. Sean Patrick

Hmm. We can't seem to build voting machines that don't break down and have some sort of accountability...

...but I have yet to have an ATM accidentally give me too much money...

October 29, 2008 09:28 pm at 9:28 pm |
  23. Tommie

Senator McCain– How are you going to balance the budget in one term? Mind you, we are broke and we are up to our necks in debt.

October 29, 2008 09:28 pm at 9:28 pm |
  24. REPUBLIC OF TEXAS

AT THE OBAMA RALLIES, ALL THE FOLLOWERS LOOK LIKE THE ACTORS AND ACTORESS IN THE MOVIE "DAWN OF THE DEAD"

October 29, 2008 09:29 pm at 9:29 pm |
  25. Mike in Texas

All of you that are still harping about ACORN. Read about YPM and Lincoln Strategies Group. By doing so you may finally learn what real voter registration fraud is. Friday October 17 was the last time the McCain camp brought up ACORN. why? Because on Saturday October 18 the head of YPM was arrested in California for voter registration fraud!!

October 29, 2008 09:29 pm at 9:29 pm |