October 30th, 2008

Red Mississippi could go for blue in Senate race

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/POLITICS/10/30/ms.senate/art.musgrove.ap.jpg caption="Former Democratic Gov. Ronnie Musgrove speaks to reporters in Philadelphia, Mississippi, in July."]
(CNN) - In a normal election, the possibility of traditionally red Mississippi voting blue is slim.

But with an unpopular president, a broken economy and an African-American at the top of the Democratic ticket, the prospect is high for Democrats to pick up in November.

Related: 'Perfect storm' could give Dems 'magic 60' in Senate

Mississippi has not sent a Democrat to the U.S. Senate in 26 years and has voted Republican in eight of the last nine presidential elections.

In 2000 and 2004, the state overwhelmingly supported George W. Bush by a nearly 60 percent margin.

Despite some polling showing Republican Sen. Roger Wicker with a comfortable lead over former Democratic Gov. Ronnie Musgrove, both campaigns agree the race is going to come down to every last vote.

Full story

Filed under: Senate
  1. singlac

sick and tired – leave off the red neck stuff. I've lived on the Mississippi Coast for years and find the people in our area smarter, better educated, friendlier, livelier and more open-minded than the people I knew when I lived in the west and mid-west. By the way, I'm white, middle-aged with a masters degree and am supporting Obama/Biden and Ronnie Musgrove.

October 30, 2008 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  2. CAMEROON/WEST AFRICA

WE DON'T NEED ANGER AND EMPTY HEADED PALIN AND A DIVISIVE POLITICS AT THIS DIFINING MOMENT IN HISTORY IN THE WHITE HOUSE.
    GONE ARE THE BUSH,MCLAME AND CHENEY LEGACIES.GOOD BYE.
    ALL I SEE IS BLUE BLUE BLUE BLUE ALL THE WAY.
    BLUE IS BEAUTIFUL MISSISSIPI GO FOR IT ;YES YOU CAN.

October 30, 2008 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  3. RDS

I would love for my state to go BLUE!!!! McCain is only carrying MS by an average of 5 points so there's always a chance. I wouldn't bet the house on it but there's always a chance.

October 30, 2008 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  4. C A

Obama will win with 291, 306, 326 or 353 electoral votes. You can take it to the bank.

October 30, 2008 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  5. David

Mississippi people are smart – voting McCain/Palin and Wicker.

October 30, 2008 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  6. No Hillary = No Obama

And who says race has nothing to do with this election?

October 30, 2008 05:45 pm at 5:45 pm |
  7. KLEE

to the few that say do your homework on these folks that are running – I have – over and over – looked up McCain – Pailin – Obama – Biden & even nader – they all have positives & negatives nothing scarey – except for one – Palin – you can find little to say about what she is about – BUT all that said – OBAMA/BIDEN are my favorites because they indeed represent a real change and for the positive – not the negative stuff that McCain keeps putting out.......McCain needed to go back to his 2000 campaign and to have picked a VP that had been vetted. Thanks but no thanks. OBAMA/BIDEN 2008

October 30, 2008 05:48 pm at 5:48 pm |
  8. CAMEROON?WEST AFRICA

THE ARIZONA SENATOR IS IN DEAD HEAT WITH MCCAIN.
    BOOOOOOOYAAAAAAH!

October 30, 2008 05:48 pm at 5:48 pm |
  9. CJ in Jersey

It amazes me that people are still on the Hillary Clinton kick. If Hillary has gotten over it so should you. It's not only petty, but childish! GET OVER IT! If you're stupid enough to vote for the republican candidate because Hillary didn't win the nomination I think it's horrible that you're even allowed to vote!

October 30, 2008 05:52 pm at 5:52 pm |
  10. Shannon

Obama has bought and paid for this election with 600 million dollars, I guess people get worked up about some clothes, but not about buying the presidency. Shame on us!

October 30, 2008 05:53 pm at 5:53 pm |
  11. Bea

We have had enough of Republicans..acting like they have a patent on christianity, scaring voters into voting for them and lying lying lying....not this time Republicans..America is going blue

October 30, 2008 05:53 pm at 5:53 pm |
  12. CAMEROON/WEST AFRICA

MY FRIENDS
    ALL I SEE IS BLUE BLUE BLUE BLUE
    BLUE IS BEAUTIFUL GO MISSISSIPPI! YES YOU CAN.

October 30, 2008 06:02 pm at 6:02 pm |
  13. june in FL

Im sure many, many times Miss. has regretted voting in Bush for a 2nd term. 2008 they don't want to make the same mistake & voting blue is the way. GO BLUE Miss. and never have regrets!!

October 30, 2008 06:05 pm at 6:05 pm |
  14. Joshua from Vandenberg AFB, CA

Even rednecks are catching on but they still won't vote for a black man. Sad.

October 30, 2008 06:05 pm at 6:05 pm |
  15. CAMEROON/WEST AFRICA

RACE ISSUE IS A THING OF THE PAST.AMERICA IS NO LONGER WHITE AND BLACK .PLEASE LETS STOP THIS BUSH MINDSET CONVERSATION ABOUT DIVISIVE POLITICS.
    YOU CAN TAKE THAT CONVERSATION TO HANNITY AND COLMES FOX NEWS.
    THE SMEAR AND FEAR BREEDING NETWORK

October 30, 2008 06:07 pm at 6:07 pm |
  16. An American

MIssissippi – we know you know better than to turn blue. No one buys that bull CNN.

McCain/Palin

October 30, 2008 06:07 pm at 6:07 pm |
  17. Charlie

Democrats are stupid. Voting FOR someone just because he's black is just as racist as voting against him for the same reason.

Just say NO to affirmative action in the White House. This is not the time to fill a quota. Vote for experience and leadership. Vote McCain.

October 30, 2008 06:09 pm at 6:09 pm |
  18. CAMEROON/WEST AFRICA

IF I AM GONNA GET MARRIED MY DREAM GIRL WILL COME FROM MISSISSIPPI.

October 30, 2008 06:10 pm at 6:10 pm |
  19. Nancy, AZ

Good luck Roger Musgrove, clean the GOP's clock for putting us in this mess.

Obama/Biden 08

October 30, 2008 06:14 pm at 6:14 pm |
  20. Once upon a horse

what has 4 eyes and STILL can't see?

M I S S I S S I P P I

October 30, 2008 06:15 pm at 6:15 pm |
  21. Jimmy, NJ

McCain wants to be president. That's it, nothing else. He doesn't care if we are in a crisis. He just wants to be president so he can go to war, while keeping his son out of it.

Obama/Biden 08

October 30, 2008 06:16 pm at 6:16 pm |
  22. Borat

I'm being real here Obama will not win Miss. That just a fact to many Repubs , but when he runs for re-election in 2012 if the continue to do Voter Regis it close then. Stay focused on the states we need to win.

October 30, 2008 06:16 pm at 6:16 pm |
  23. Nelson

First Lady Michelle Obama. I like the sound of that.

Obama/Biden 08

October 30, 2008 06:17 pm at 6:17 pm |
  24. Brenda C

Proud to be from Mississippi. I can promise you Obamanation or Musgrove will not carry Mississippi.

Go McCain/Palin
    Go Wicker

October 30, 2008 06:18 pm at 6:18 pm |
  25. George

KEEP FIGHTING FOR US SENATOR McCAIN !!!!!!

We got your back.