October 31st, 2008

As polls tighten, the campaign arrives in McCain's home state

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/10/30/art.mccain30.gi.jpg caption="McCain’s campaign is spending to reach voters in his home state of Arizona."](CNN) - Democrats are making a late play for Arizona as new polls show home-state Senator John McCain with a shrinking single-digit edge over Barack Obama.

A CNN/Time/Opinion Research Corporation poll released this week suggested McCain holds a 53 percent to 46 percent advantage. Other new surveys have indicated an even tighter race.

Earlier this week, the McCain campaign and the Republican National Committee paid for negative robo-calls in the state, telling voters Obama’s election “invites a major international crisis he will be unprepared to handle alone.

“If Democrats win full control of government, they will want to give civil rights to terrorists and talk unconditionally to dictators and state sponsors of terror. Barack Obama and his Democratic allies lack the experience and judgment to lead America,” said the calls.

MoveOn.org said Thursday it was launching its ‘Obamacan’ ad statewide on broadcast and cable in response. The ad features a life-long Republican who supports Obama.

The Obama campaign sent its supporters in the state a message from national field director Jon Carson calling for volunteers, and pointing to reports McCain was "struggling in his own backyard."

“Supporters like you have put us within striking distance. Now it's time to pull off what no one expected,” said Carson.

The fresh effort forces the Arizona senator to direct late-campaign spending to his home state. Democratic officials - who say the state would likely have gone blue if McCain were not on the ballot - concede it's unlikely Obama will beat the Arizona senator there. But they say the move signals their confidence is more than symbolic - Democrats can afford to keep Arizona volunteers in their home state in the race's final days this cycle instead of directing them to neighboring New Mexico and Nevada, perennial battlegrounds.

Filed under: Arizona • Candidate Barack Obama • John McCain
  1. Charlie in Maine

No one is prepared to "handle it alone" and I find it to be a big problem that McCain mioptic vision has over-looked the role that others can and should play in a crisis. W's go it alone cowboy crap is what got us into this mess we are in. A quality president surrounds himself(or herself ) with quality people starting with vice president (I guess McCain never got that memo) add to that the national security team,the cabinet officers, and (don't tell John and George) the legislative leaders can help depnding on the crisis. The ultimate decision is the presedernt's but if McCain thinks he has to do it all himself Sarah Palin better be ready because even a healthy young man would burn out trying to do it all himself.

October 31, 2008 07:26 am at 7:26 am |
  2. Jean

THIS is what's wrong with this country...

" Two arrested after Obama effigy found on campus"

If it's a black person, it's racism.

But doing the same to Sarah Palin... is not?

Sarah Palin's effigy was both racist (against whites) and sexist (against women).

Why wasn't that person arrested?

I guess whites and women are going to have to get used to it if Obama wins the White House.

October 31, 2008 07:27 am at 7:27 am |
  3. Amy

I can't understand why Americans are voting for McCain when HE HIMSELF says he doesn't understand the economy!

We are in a recession, people are losing their jobs and homes, and McCain wants to continue Bush's economic policies, the policies that got us into this mess in the first place!

And don't forget, he didn't pick Romney for his running mate....we'll be stuck with Palin should anything happen to McCain!

October 31, 2008 07:27 am at 7:27 am |
  4. Too Funny

Even his own people see through all the lies...

October 31, 2008 07:28 am at 7:28 am |
  5. Ken in NC

Now this would be really sad if a candidate cannot carry his own state.

October 31, 2008 07:29 am at 7:29 am |
  6. truthsayer

Polls tighten, thats a joke....its going to be a landslide for Obama.

CNN stop carrying water for McCain

October 31, 2008 07:29 am at 7:29 am |
  7. Too Funny

This campaign has been a disgrace and totaly mismanaged. Sorry John, but you have lost.

October 31, 2008 07:30 am at 7:30 am |
  8. JD

So CNN says that the race is tightening, but Obama has a shot on Arizona?

October 31, 2008 07:30 am at 7:30 am |
  9. Marty, FL

McCain and the RNC are running the most divisive campaign at a time when many Americans are looking for leaders to unite this country again.

Obama and Biden are offering that unifying platform in this election.

McCain seems to prefer Rovian-style polarization of the electorate, further evident by his irrational choice of Palin on his ticket. Their misguided rallies demonstrate a narrow appeal to a far right base.

If McCain loses Arizona, it would rightfully be attributed to his embrace of the Bush/Rove platform of division.

Obama/Biden '08
    For the UNITED States of America

October 31, 2008 07:30 am at 7:30 am |
  10. daw

Good try CNN. You guys are reaching now to trash McCain. Where is the story about Obama and HIS links/close friendship to anti Israel Khalidi? Where is the story about McCain leading in early voting in Florida? CNN is so obvious with their anti McCain slant on every story. Even the posts on the blogs only the pro Obama posts are put up for view. I know this from experience.

October 31, 2008 07:31 am at 7:31 am |
  11. Let it go..........

It seems to me that McCain has a new VP running mate. Think about it for a moment...If you were being dragged down by a BAD choice of a VP, what would you do?... OF COURSE!!! Look for a new one! In "Joe-the-Plumber" he found that. BeTcA he woill not be seen much with Palin the next 3 days!

October 31, 2008 07:31 am at 7:31 am |
  12. Mike, Phoenix AZ

I'm in Phoenix and there are Obama signs everywhere. I think I've only seen one McCain bumpersticker over the past 3 months. McCain is not well liked here, people are just voting for the party.

October 31, 2008 07:32 am at 7:32 am |
  13. Scott Tucson

The only good thing for Arizona if Obama happens to win would be if he does takes our governor for a cabinet post. Obama and the dems would be doing us a great favor! She sure ran this state into the hole.

October 31, 2008 07:32 am at 7:32 am |
  14. Chris

This proves that McCain doesn't have the abiliity to run this country if he can't even keep a good lead in his own state. I personally cannot take another 4 years of Bush the last 8 have been disasterous, his own family isn't even proud of his accomplishments. What does that tell you about Bush and McCain wanting to follow in his footsteps. Change We Need not more of the same.

October 31, 2008 07:33 am at 7:33 am |
  15. Sue in Alabama

The McCain Campaign has been the lowest and dirtiest I have ever witnessed, I watched this man go from respectable and honorable to despicable and it hurts my heart to see it.

John is still stuck in the sixties, and Palin is just unbelievably ignorant and small-minded.

Barack Obama will make an excellent president for our country and I feel great about voting for him.

Time to move on...

Obama/Biden '08

October 31, 2008 07:35 am at 7:35 am |
  16. Scott Tucson

Hmmm still news reporting from CNN on one of Obama's former speech writer switching over to the McCain camp. Guess we will read that story after the election too.

October 31, 2008 07:38 am at 7:38 am |
  17. Sam the Butcher

But, but....the polls are tightening in McCain's favor so says CNN.
    Yup, and the fundamentals of the economy are strong, my friends.

When playing last minute D in one's home state, prospects for a Johnny McSame victory don't look good.

October 31, 2008 07:39 am at 7:39 am |
  18. larry wi

I dougt that he will loose his home state! There s something that bothers me more. When the home owner hung a likeness of Palin by the neck in a noose it was viewed as "funny" with no harm intended, they eventually removed the likeness. Now this morning I read where two guys in KY were arrested for doing the same thing with an Obama likeness, why in the world would these two get arrested for doing the same thing that the homeowner did that was viewd as funny? Talk about a double standard, it's OK to implicate hanging a Republican female VP candidate, but not OK to implicate hanging a black Democratic Presidential candidate!!

October 31, 2008 07:40 am at 7:40 am |
  19. Dean from Maine

Have already voted for Obama and not a moment too soon. I am a real American, Pro American, Patriot who believes in God that can't wait for the new leadership in this country to take us in a positive direction. Shame on the GOP.

October 31, 2008 07:41 am at 7:41 am |
  20. Julie

I can not wait for Nov 4th to finally come and go. I am so tired of hearing Sen McCain and Gov Palin, over and over repeat untruths and misleading statements that have been disputed and corrected time and time again. Are they really that desperate for the White House or do they think the American people are a nation od dunces.
    Stick to the issues that of which you can make a difference for me and my country and stop all this school yard name calling.

This one is registering as an Independent next election !!!

October 31, 2008 07:41 am at 7:41 am |
  21. LetsReview

Senator McCain has stated the potential Democratic issues. But I think he's failing to see that he'll return and power to some of the greediest people in our nation, he'll hire unqualified personnel to run our country, and he'll try to defeat a women's right of free choice. Have I stated some of the Republican issues?

October 31, 2008 07:41 am at 7:41 am |
  22. johnny2 in kalamazo

As a Business owner who employs 30 people, I have resigned myself to the fact that Barack Obama, will be our next President, and that my Taxes and Fees, will go up in a BIG way. To compensate for these increases, I figure, that the customer will have to see an increase in my prices. I will also probably have to lay off some of my employees.

This really bothered me as I believe we are family,here and didn't know how to choose who will have to go. So, this is what I did. I strolled thru the parking lot and found, 8 Obama bumper stickers on my employees cars. I have decided these folks will be the first to be laid off. I can't think of another fair way to approach this problem. If you have a better idea, let me know. I am sending this letter to other business owners that I know.

October 31, 2008 07:44 am at 7:44 am |
  23. Robert

If anyone is lacking in judgement and experience it's McCain. His choice of Palin showed his very poor judgement in selecting a VP that is totally unqualified to be President should McCain die in office. Also the only experience he had in the last several years was following and voting in line with Bush 90% of the time, which he is so proud of and readily admits.

October 31, 2008 07:45 am at 7:45 am |
  24. Barbara - 65 yr old white female in NC

I have come to despise John McCain over the last two months. A mere empty shadow of what he used to be.

October 31, 2008 07:46 am at 7:46 am |
  25. DebM, Allentown, PA

Lawrence Eagleburger, former secretary of state and one of McCain's advisors, said on NPR yesterday that Palin is absolutely NOT qualified to be president. McCain put us all at risk with his irresponsible VP choice.

I don't want that woman anywhere near the White House, so I voted, via absentee ballot, for Obama and Biden, the only smart choice.

October 31, 2008 07:46 am at 7:46 am |