November 3rd, 2008

McCain draws small Florida crowd on race’s final day

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/11/03/art.mccain2.gi.jpg caption=" McCain's first rally of the day was attended by only about 1,100 people."]
TAMPA, Florida (CNN) - Barack Obama may lead John McCain by just 2 points in the latest CNN Florida poll of polls, but the enthusiasm gap appears a bit wider.

John McCain’s first rally of the day, in Tampa outside Raymond James Stadium, only drew about 1,100 people. Local reporters noting that at almost the same spot just before the 2004 election, President Bush drew about 15,000 people. Two weeks ago, Obama drew an estimated 8,000.

Republican Gov. Crist, who had previously agreed to do interviews with CNN and various local affiliates, bolted right after the rally with no explanation.

Filed under: John McCain
  1. thomas C

I LIVE HERE IN TAMPA and had to drive by Raymond James stadium on my way to work!!!!

IT WAS PATHETIC!!!!

GO BACK TO ARIZONA MCBUSH!!!!!

We don't want you nor your mean-spirited, selfish, lying types ANYMORE!!!!

November 3, 2008 11:09 am at 11:09 am |
  2. No More McBush

I am in complete agreement with Nobel Prize winning economist Paul Krugman that the Republican party has become "the party of the stupid". That said, only the terminally stupid and racists are among those now likely to attend McCain/Palin rallies. Glad to hear that both groups are under represented in Tampa!

November 3, 2008 11:09 am at 11:09 am |
  3. The Watcher

It's almost over Johnny. You can go home and take a nap. Thx for not showing up.

November 3, 2008 11:09 am at 11:09 am |
  4. A-Man

I have always been a strong REPUBLICAN supporter and still am a die hard republican. HOWEVER I am VOTING DEMOCRATIC. I may be a republican but I am not stupid. Our party with Palin on the ticket and the Bush folks behind the scenes are a complete disaster and I would go as far as to say a joke. Time to send this pack a message by strongly supporting the better candidate in THIS election in Barack and Biden. Send Palin and the back room boys a message to pack your bags our party has no place in our future for you. Rebuild for the future to once again positively represent this country in the future. FELOW REPUBLICANS VOTE WITH ME, VOTE DEMOCRATIC THIS ELECTION, SEND A CLEAR MESSAGE.

November 3, 2008 11:10 am at 11:10 am |
  5. Ken in Dallas

McCain will be all right. The beer he's going to be crying in will be free.

November 3, 2008 11:10 am at 11:10 am |
  6. glittergirl

I believe Gov. Crist did not bolt out of disrespect to McCain, I believe he was just late for his tanning bed appointment.

November 3, 2008 11:11 am at 11:11 am |
  7. Eascogal

McCain is full of hate and discontent for this nation! He has become a symbol of "racists" and the whole world has come to recoken with that!

November 3, 2008 11:11 am at 11:11 am |
  8. Beth from Virginia

What? Did they forget to bus in all those school kids for this one?

November 3, 2008 11:11 am at 11:11 am |
  9. Greg

I'm a Disabled Veteran from Desert Storm and I would be very disappointed to see our Country put another War Lord in office. Go Obama!

November 3, 2008 11:11 am at 11:11 am |
  10. Johnny V

The reason for the small turnout is because neocons are an endangered species. 24 hours from now, they'll be extinct.

November 3, 2008 11:11 am at 11:11 am |
  11. Obama saves the world

So what happens if Mcsame and stupid as rock get elected , and it turns out the baby is not hers but her daughter's?

November 3, 2008 11:11 am at 11:11 am |
  12. Shame Shame I Know your name GOP

Truth is they like Palin better.

November 3, 2008 11:11 am at 11:11 am |
  13. BM

McCain/Palin will take all Americans back 100 years with their hat filled rallies.

November 3, 2008 11:11 am at 11:11 am |
  14. Hugh coldwar vet ~ California

Gov. Crist did his impersonation of Dick Cheney, bolting away right after McCain ended his speech to an unknown location. 🙂

November 3, 2008 11:11 am at 11:11 am |
  15. Lori in St Pete

1100, huh? Seemed like there were more people in line when I voted on Saturday. Took four hours, but four hours beats the heck out of four more years!

November 3, 2008 11:11 am at 11:11 am |
  16. I'm John McCain

I thought it looked like a million people were there

November 3, 2008 11:11 am at 11:11 am |
  17. That one

McSame if you had you sidekick produce the medical records maybe there would have been a few thousands.......But!!!!!

November 3, 2008 11:12 am at 11:12 am |
  18. slickingdom

I wonder if that is an indication to Johnny Boy that the game is pretty
    much over. Call it a wrap !!

Obama/Biden '08/'12

November 3, 2008 11:12 am at 11:12 am |
  19. Big John

Palin is speaking today at the grounds of the state capitol in Jefferson City, MO. My 79-year-old mother is (regretfully) a dyed in the wool McCain supporter. That's not news, but what is interesting is that my mother had to get a ticket to attend this outdoor event. Since when do you have to get tickets for an outdoor rally? Nobody needed tickets when we attended Obama's rally in Kansas City, the one that got 75,000 attendees. Small wonder McCain and Palin have small "crowds".

November 3, 2008 11:12 am at 11:12 am |
  20. Retired USN, Norfolk VA

McCain has gotten the best endorsements – BUSH and CHENEY. Way to go guys!!!!! We the democrats appreciate that

November 3, 2008 11:12 am at 11:12 am |
  21. marlene

Sarah Palin Go back to Alaska, You know that you are not qualified as a President of America but because of your ambition of yourself and your family you dont care what will happen to America. My goodness!!!

November 3, 2008 11:12 am at 11:12 am |
  22. vexalways

Poor Mc Cain. The Republicans are a bunch of jokers; they choose a fossil and a dunce to lead them into elections. Dunderheads.

November 3, 2008 11:12 am at 11:12 am |
  23. maxine

isn't Charley Crist the guy who thought he was going to be picked for VP and so he got married?

November 3, 2008 11:12 am at 11:12 am |
  24. Ish

Well we all know that "what you see is what you get"
    People are tired of hearing you attack Obama all the time. We want to hear what you gona do for the country or how u gona improve the economy not about what Obama said or is doing. we have eyes and ears, we can see and hear what ever Obama is up to, so focus on yourself and tell us what you are capable of.

November 3, 2008 11:13 am at 11:13 am |
  25. Roadrunner

Looks like I T I S F I N A LLY O V E R !!!!!

November 3, 2008 11:13 am at 11:13 am |