November 4th, 2008

Barack Obama elected president

ALT TEXT

Barack Obama has been elected President of the United States, CNN projects.(AP PHOTO)
(CNN) - Democrat Barack Obama won the 2008 presidential election, CNN projects, defeating Republican John McCain.

With his inauguration on January 20, 2009, Obama will become the 44th president of the United States and the first African-American to hold the nation's highest office.

Obama is set to win the states of California, Hawaii, Oregon and Washington, CNN projects, putting him over the top.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • John McCain
  1. Chad

God Bless America and God Bless President-elect Obama and Vice President-elect Biden. A wonderfully historic night that I will not forget.

2. Susie

we shouldn't sing victory.... its just CNN projection, this can change. I must say if Obama is president I'm coming back to the US. YEAH BABY

3. Poppytrail

I am so proud of everyone who volunteered for Obamas' win! Thanks for all your hard work! I feel so excited, and I am so happy that we will have a chance for CHANGE in our government! May God Bless America!

4. Meghan Spencer

I am so thrilled! Obama didn't win my state, but he won what mattered! I just hope he can fix all the mess Bush is leaving for him.

5. sguy

WEEEEEEEEE DIIIIIIIIIIID IIIIIIIIIIIIT HE AINT DO IT ALL BY HIS SELF RECOGNIZE WHAT IT IS TRICK

6. From TX

I can't wait to get on government aid. Thank you Mr. President.

7. Daniel

We shall now be known as The United States of Africa. Thanks for nothing.

8. sally

Congrats to Barack Obama..the first black AND white President of the United States

9. avatar

I did not vote for either of them.. But I congratulate Obama/Biden.. I am so thankful that the OLD McBush and a laughing Palin did not win.. They got beaten badly.. At least American people can see clearly who is the best choice to serve America.. GOD BLESS AMERICA for many years to come..

10. ostriches no longer burying our heads in the sand

What a night!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes we can and Yes we did!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. Michael

...and the PUMAs are nowhere to be found.

12. american

I am so proud tonight.
    If someone told my 30 yr old white but that I would cry tears of joy when a black man was elected president of the United States... I would have said they were exaggerating.
    But that is just what I am doing...

13. Prophecy Fullfilled.

if your still in line b4 the closing time, you will get to vote. 4-6 hours is less than 4-8 years 😛

Never doubt the Bible again… It is really happening here and now:

.. “And in the land shall rise the son of Cain.” From the north The Deceiver[Palin], a known Beast of false witness; will take the mark of Cain.
    Together they seek to spread fear and invoke hate among the refugees of sin.
    In their quest for power they will ignore the light of truth shining on the deeds and words they proclaim.
    But take heart, for throughout the land the seekers of light shall rise up and not be fooled. With their strength, the mark [Cain] will be cleansed from the earth and no longer hold power to sway the blind.

Can I get an amen…? 🙂

14. carlos

may god bless america

15. Paul Revere

WE THE PEOPLE have spoken.

You know its such a shame Palin won't be speaking for the Republicans tonight. I'd SO love to hear her eat crow on nationwide live television.

Let us begin.

16. andrea

yaaaaayy he won!

17. McCain Man

Its ashame that we will now all have to get on our knees and face east to worship allah in a country founded on Christian beliefs... Hopefully CNN will be proved wrong when the when all votes are counted!!!

November 4, 2008 11:19 pm at 11:19 pm |
  18. ron

we've come along way n 40 years. congratulations President Obama

November 4, 2008 11:19 pm at 11:19 pm |
  19. Lenny

Let's hope that Amy learns to spell sometime after she calls the country's voters truly ignorant. See this log for actual spelling.

November 4, 2008 11:19 pm at 11:19 pm |
  20. Obama/Biden 08

YES WE CAN! YES WE CAN!

CONGRATULATIONS TO THE PRESIDENT-ELECT, BARACK OBAMA!!!!

November 4, 2008 11:19 pm at 11:19 pm |
  21. Dave Singer

obamanation

November 4, 2008 11:19 pm at 11:19 pm |
  22. Lisa the engineer and mom

The whole world will be celebrating with America tonight!!!

November 4, 2008 11:19 pm at 11:19 pm |
  23. Danon Nobaly

looks like I don't have to flee to Canada. My faith in the American system is renewed. Now the REAL work begins.

November 4, 2008 11:19 pm at 11:19 pm |
  24. mjb

This is exciting! Maybe we can get out of the mess we are in. Time for CHANGE. Let us start now. Let's hope that youth will grant us the courage to enact that change.

November 4, 2008 11:19 pm at 11:19 pm |
  25. danemcinis

What about the right to life. god help us all.

November 4, 2008 11:19 pm at 11:19 pm |