November 4th, 2008

Barack Obama elected president

ALT TEXT

Barack Obama has been elected President of the United States, CNN projects.(AP PHOTO)
(CNN) - Democrat Barack Obama won the 2008 presidential election, CNN projects, defeating Republican John McCain.

With his inauguration on January 20, 2009, Obama will become the 44th president of the United States and the first African-American to hold the nation's highest office.

Obama is set to win the states of California, Hawaii, Oregon and Washington, CNN projects, putting him over the top.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • John McCain
  1. TexasLady

Can I quit my job, go on the dole? Let the government take care of me fron now on?

Why should I even try again to help myself when the nanny state has come to fruition.

I'm disgusted with the sheep in this country.

And, I'm sure that this post will be moderated out by the most liberal news outlet in the world.

2. E Martin Florida

I did vote for McCain. However,I do wish Barack Obama Godspeed
    and Prayer.He will very much need Prayer and God's Grace.I trust the Media will give him a Honeymoon and not tear him down, so quickly now that Sarah Palin will be off their radar.They made him and I am sure a few of those folks will try before to long to turn on him.

3. M. Holley

We did it!!!! President Obama it was truely a honor to vote for a canidate that I can say was geniune and sincere throught the election. Pres. Obama u are walking proof that if you educate and apply urself the possibilities are endless. Congrat!!

4. Anonymous

congrats to the obama/biden team!

5. Anonymous

welcome to the comunism

6. Glitch

Yeah! =)

Although I'm Europian, it's still great news. Maybe finally you Americans might change the world for the better. Obama, we hope you do!

Greetings from the Netherlands.

Ps. Amy: you make no sence and you know it. Bush brought the end of peace in the world near. Would you rather see the world die or see a democrat on your highest office?

7. David

A sad day for America.

8. Paula Peterson

We knew you could do it.
    Milton's Grill of Baltimore we are beaming in your victory!!!

We honored you before with a special menu to you

Obama Mama
    Michelle's Mega Burger
    Sasha's Sweet Potato
    Malia's Quesadilla
    Biden's BBQ Sand
    White House Wings
    Senator Shrimp
    we even had a McCain Sour 🙂

Congratulations President Obama!!!!!!

9. Nancy

I'm scared to leave this nation in such "green" hands; he has very little experience. He also comes off as arrogant. All I can do is pray for our country.

10. dalegord in oklahoma

hahahahaha Amy you are nothing but a crying republican moron robot stop your crying and say it with me Obama 08

11. mike

This is a proud moment for all americans. In my short 33 years of life we've come so far. I'm a child of mixed race and I can still remember my family getting kicked out of our apartments onced my father came home from work and the landlord finding out that he was non white. It might not be the end of all racism but its a huge step.

12. Michelle

Wow. History in the making. "Amy" sounds like a racist Demo-phobe. Amy, pull up your bootstrings, honey, this country is about to see LONG overdue improvement. Just like CNN is liberal, MSN is conservative. Thank God for all the hardworking people who supported/volunteered/donated to Obama.

13. Beccs from Sri Lanka

Well done Mr Obama!

You have restored our hope that things can still be done right in America!

All of us in our office in Colombo, Sri Lanka were watching anxiously, and now will have an office party to celebrate!

Way to go, wooohoo!

14. Nadia

Thank you Ohio, thank PA, Thank you America.....woooooooooooooooohoooooooooooo....
    and YES WE HAVE

15. Nick

Haha! Barack Obama won!!! McCain never stood a chance. I feel really bad for him though. So many times he's ran for president and he's never won once. It's like he was never destined to become president. And now he will never become president again because of his age.

Oh well, sucks for him.

Congrats to Obama and him becoming the first African America president of the united states.

16. Big Will

I am so proud! lets get it

17. Chris

well there goes capitalism...

18. debbie

Great. We will see how many of his promises he actually keeps! Disgusting!!

19. SGD

FINALLY BARACK HAS WON!!!!!!!!!! FAUX NEWS ... ARE YOU LISTENING?...

20. guy in va

WE ARE SCREWED, I will not say congratulation, I am NOT HAPPY with this, can't believe he will be living in OUR WHITE HOUSE ! stupid people vote for stupid things, GOD HELP US ON THIS ONE

21. Maria - WA

Congratulations, President Obama!!

I am soooo proud of this country for standing up for what is right!

Wooooo Hooooo!!!!!

22. AZ Obama Supporter

I was going around my school asking people who they thought would win. Alot of people ridiculed me for picking Obama. This was a close election, but the better canidate won.

Look forward to a great 4 years, and if it truly is great, maybe 8.

23. john thomas

congrats obama

24. carlmex

THIS IS THE BEGGINING OF A NEW ERA OF PROSPERITY AND ABUNDANCE.

November 4, 2008 11:20 pm at 11:20 pm |
  25. carol turner

okay so obama has won the popular vote... but it seems like everyone is forgettin about the electoral vote in december... just cause he won the popular vote doesnt mean he will win the electoral vote! everybodys getting all worked up and we dont even really know if he will be our president... our state represenitives could change their minds come time for them to vote! yes i voted for obama and yes i stand be hind him fully but im just lettin every one know the facts!

November 4, 2008 11:20 pm at 11:20 pm |