November 4th, 2008

Barack Obama elected president

ALT TEXT

Barack Obama has been elected President of the United States, CNN projects.(AP PHOTO)
(CNN) - Democrat Barack Obama won the 2008 presidential election, CNN projects, defeating Republican John McCain.

With his inauguration on January 20, 2009, Obama will become the 44th president of the United States and the first African-American to hold the nation's highest office.

Obama is set to win the states of California, Hawaii, Oregon and Washington, CNN projects, putting him over the top.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • John McCain
  1. tootie

Thank you america for opening your eyes thank you Jesus GOD bless and protect you I am crying tears of JOY!! Bless u Obama we did it!!

November 4, 2008 11:21 pm at 11:21 pm |
  2. Bob

Let's hope for a new beginning of bringing this country together.

November 4, 2008 11:21 pm at 11:21 pm |
  3. Proud to Be

We have finally come to believe that in this time & in this country it is the character of the person & not the color of their skin. America has finally proven that all men are created equal & that any child NO MATTER their ethnicity can become PRESIDENT!!! Congratulations not only to President Obama & Vice President Biden, but to the American people who were intelligent enough to make the right decisions based on the facts given. IN GOD WE TRUST...

November 4, 2008 11:21 pm at 11:21 pm |
  4. Angel

to Angela...God has not given us a spirit of fear...the fact that you are fearful tells me that you have not understood the concept of faith. Without faith it is impossible to please God.. some of you conservatives were going to God in prayer with selfish ambitions and fear..God does not hear fear..he listens to faith..the Obama compaign had Faith and God listened

November 4, 2008 11:21 pm at 11:21 pm |
  5. CClark

I guess Obama showed us all " YES WE CAN". Way to go, President Obama!!!!!!!

November 4, 2008 11:21 pm at 11:21 pm |
  6. chris

Go obama. The only thing worse than Bush regime are the McCain voters who are afraid that change will effect them negatively. money does not equate to happiness.

7. catmom

John, quit your job and predict doom and gloom. Who cares. Obama has always spoken of personal responsibility and that is what he will do and expect us to do. It will take a lot of hard work to clean up the mess George Bush and Republicans have made of this country, now it's time to come together to do just that.

8. Andy Perkins

How come people talk racism soo much if some one says something about a person being White ( for instance) if we said George Bush won HE's a white american. RIGHT there starts the whole Racism Talk, If we had a White History month That would be racism, WE ARE ALL THE SAME stop bringing up the fact of COLOR!

9. michelle c

i voted for obama and very glad he won. but why is cnn saying his the first black presideht? does he not have a white mother and a black father? why is he not a white president or a mixed president?

10. Ileka

PRESIDENT BARRACK OBAMA DA FIRST AFRICAN AMERICAN U.S. PRESIDENT N DA 44th U.S. PRESIDENT,
    I'm proudly Africa. Oh! Thank U JESUS!

11. christi from illinois

This is historic. And as Americans we need to stand together and support our new leader. Whether red, blue, green or other, if you voted, I am proud of you. That's why I love MY country!

12. Carter Allen

He did it! Yes, yes we can. It is truly time for change. Usher in the new United States!

13. Clinton guy supporting Obama

First you called him a muslim (as if it's a bad thing), then you called him a terrorist, then a radical, socialist, communist, and then whatever else you could possibly think of. Now you must call him Mr. President. Congratulations to this beautiful nation of ours. I have always been proud of it, and no more now than ever, but this moment is the reason I've always been proud of my country.

14. James

God Bless America !

15. True_Canadian

This is a victory for the whole mankind. Thank you America for your right choice! God bless America and God bless Obama. This has been a long awaited CHANGE that the US needed so badly.

16. Brian

These are only projections. The Bradley effect will stand true.

17. hernand

pretty soon chavez and fidel will be here too rithg next to him making out

18. AmericanAbroad

Looking at the election map of the US, it is clear that we are still a nation divided by color. Perhaps the South should have been allowed to secede from the US during the Civil War. The South sure seems like a foreign country to me.

19. Greg de RAS

Now we can have demacracy and justice thanks 2 jah rastafari

20. Mark

Dear Mr. President;
    You did a superb job. Congratulations and the best of luck for our futures Thank you.

21. jonny

now when I get up to go to work tomorrow,I know that the world is a totally different place. Never in my lifetime would I have thought I would see an black or hispanic president. What a historic moment never to be forgotten. I would like to be the first to suggest a national holiday in honor of this man.

22. From TX

I guess America will be completely "Red" now.

23. babygurlp24

God...the world is going to come to an end!!!!! ahhhh

24. Nicole

I hope people voted for Obama for the right reasons... I have a feeling people were voting for the idea of having an African-American as president and not really taking into consideration what he stands for.

25. Annymous

All I can say is I hope the Rapture happens quickly so that we don't have to deal with all the havack that this world is looking at. This is a very sad time in our lives. I am glad to be a born again Christian! God please protect us!

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20