November 4th, 2008

Barack Obama elected president

ALT TEXT

Barack Obama has been elected President of the United States, CNN projects.(AP PHOTO)
(CNN) - Democrat Barack Obama won the 2008 presidential election, CNN projects, defeating Republican John McCain.

With his inauguration on January 20, 2009, Obama will become the 44th president of the United States and the first African-American to hold the nation's highest office.

Obama is set to win the states of California, Hawaii, Oregon and Washington, CNN projects, putting him over the top.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • John McCain
  1. obamao8

i voted obama, not because of his race, not because of his party, but because this man is educated, something that mc cain is not.

2. Ali

we are going to change the HISTORY from tonight. good luck AMERICA.

3. Annette

No matter who is elected President, we as a union must wish them luck and stand behind them. God bless America and President Obama.

4. latasha beard

i thank god this is emotional day that'd i want forget love u barack obama and god blessed u.

5. Joe in NJ

In the end, it's all politics as usual. Good luck, Obama. You'll need it.

6. mya

"Let freedom ring" is echoing in USA. Its a day of joy, a day of hope and a day of fulfillment. Victory of Obama is a testimony to greatness of American society.

7. kimmee

God Help Us for We Know NOT What We Do!!!!!

8. Aaron

You say that your proud to be an American, but Obama isn't

9. nerhea

mccain and palin were not treated well with this network.

10. Nikki

Well we asked for it and now we have it. Obama is the new president of the United States. Whether you voted for Obama due to racial pride or because you liked his policies the time is now people. You can't ask for a do over. Congrats President Obama we have overcome.

11. Olivia

I am sorry obama... This country I don't believe is yet mature enough to have and African American as president... I wish him luck but I am also moving to Spain because I see nothing positive arising from this

12. Dave

what a charade

13. tiffany

I am so happy that I got to be apart of this historic event, god bless him and may he help us bring this country out of turmoil and back to how it was when clinton was in office

14. An Australian

Congratulations President Obama.

I hope you are everything you promised you are.

15. The Dutchman

Congrats, President OBAMA...may the force be with you always.

There are many of us of all ages, ethnicities and beliefs who are here to support you in every way to make the USA a better place than it has been for the past 8 years.

16. Karanja

Here in kenya, we r more excited than even by our own election. History made, thanx to all the americans out there

17. Peter T

After a two year marathon to win the nomination and then the presidency, Obama has now the greatest economic mess on his hand since the Great Depression. Good luck!

18. canadian_chica

Congratulations America on the right choice. History in the making, how amazing that we have the privledge to witness this.

19. Larry

For over 200 years we have had white male presidents. Now that the nation excepts a black as the president of the United States, a future woman president will come soon!

20. jose

yes yes obama won

21. SPS

I am so glad that all children will have the opportunity to grow-up with the knowledge that they can do, or be anything they desire! I am so very emotional this night, a night I'll always remember...

22. John Carnevale

I went out and hung the flag... because tonight I am proud of my country.

23. Independent in NC

Actually, Bush is President, and will be for another 2.5 months. This was a very close election (looking at percentages per state), and I think it will take a long time to repair the divide it created.

24. Stephen R

I am not willing to give up my civil rights for a "history making moment". I am not willing to give up the fruits of my hard labor and sacrifice for those who want a handout. I do not want a gameshow president. My vote cannot be bought. This is officially a nation of ignorant people. I am mixed race, and I am not a republican. I am a person who came from poverty and built up to prosperity by hard work and hard study. That is the American dream, folks. I do not want to be penalized for it.

25. rich

I sincerely believe that Mr. Obama will be the best president EVER!
    Support him and it will happen!!!!

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20