November 4th, 2008

Barack Obama elected president

ALT TEXT

Barack Obama has been elected President of the United States, CNN projects.(AP PHOTO)
(CNN) - Democrat Barack Obama won the 2008 presidential election, CNN projects, defeating Republican John McCain.

With his inauguration on January 20, 2009, Obama will become the 44th president of the United States and the first African-American to hold the nation's highest office.

Obama is set to win the states of California, Hawaii, Oregon and Washington, CNN projects, putting him over the top.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • John McCain
  1. imam

congratulation from Jakarta, Mr. President Obama.

2. Supporter of a Good man--that happens to be black

Yes it is history in the making that Obama is a Black Man–But first and foremost he is a fair man willing to make changes for the good of All of US.

3. UT Gal

I pray this was the right choice. If not I hope all who voted for obama regret it for the rest of their lives!!!!!!!!!!!!! God have mercy on us...

4. true american

My hope is that all Americans will stand behind out new President. no matter how you voted today, you have a new president and it is our honor bound DUTY to stand behind this man and give him 100% support. God protect and keep him safe, healthy and wise.

We are one but we are many and from all the lands on earth we come, we share a dream and sing with one voice, I am you are we are American!

5. Tiesha Jenkins

I can not believe the history that was made tonight. God Bless America and God Bless PRESIDENT BARACK OBAMA!!!!

6. anthony

lets see what happens now, its no secret that the global players who secretly run the country will do as the please. this may be a smoke screen election, but on the other hand they may have opened thier eyes, my message to them stop selling off our country and fix what you screwed up,america is not for sale to anyone..

7. Lindsay

Congratulations, Mr. President!!!!!

8. PEQ

Congrats America you made a good choice!!! Change is good ... and keep Israel out of this, worry about whats going on in your own counrty.

9. Colin Nekritz

To all those hypocritical GOPers who did the whole "he's not my president" under Clinton, then under Bush did the "if you don't support him you're unAmerican," who will no go back to the "he's not my president." You, the right wingers, the closed narrow minded hypocrites, you are the true unAmericans.

To the one guy saying he'll move to Spain or others who clearly don't like democracy who said the same thing when Bush won to people disenfranchised. Welcome to democracy, if you can't stand the heat of it, if you can't stand this is how America works, too bad, YOU are unAmerican, why don't you leave the country.

Go Obama, and here's hoping he can fix this once great country after Bush and his cronies did their job of pretty much destroying it. Roll up our sleeves all good Americans, we have a lot of work to do. Don't want to help because you don't support Obama? Please, do us all a favor, move somewhere else, you're not wanted here.

10. Canada.NEEDS.Obama.

THANKYOU.THANKYOU.THANKYOU.

THAAAAANNNNKNKKKKKKK YOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!!!!

11. Tiffany

Yes WE did!!!

12. T in Kzoo

OBAMA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

13. Jerome

hhhmmm. higher taxes, less civil liberties and reverse discrimination all hail emporer Obama!

14. brad

when I was a child, my grandfather told me at the dinner table one night I can be whatever I want because I am American. Thank you PRESIDENT Obama! You have given my grandfather's and every American's word value tonight! God bless you President Obama! We put our faith in your great judgement.

15. angioman

I hope that the election will rally minorities to be the best they can be and help reconcile the racial divide in the USA. The USA can now rejoin the rest of the world as a respected nation. I pray that the USA will wisely use this opportunity for improving world peace.

16. Chellie

Im not old enough to vote but i would consider myself very involved in politics i have encouraged many people of age to vote not necessarily for obama or mccain but for who they felt would represent and control our country to their benefits and i am very happy to see president barack obama was the man for them...you will have my vote in 2012...

17. Not a yank

18. Bry

Unbelievable, This is awesome but the fact that we won't have to hear about Mavericks,Joe the Plumber,Moose hunting, terrorists, socialists and dirty politics is great. Please Gov. Palin, go away and don't ever come back to make a fool of yourself ever again in the greatest nation on earth. Congratulations to Obama/Biden. Fantastic!

19. Corey Wolak

This sucks, anyone want to move to Canada with me. This country just went straight down the toilet. I hope everyone that voted for him are happy, you just led our country astray.

20. 18 in Ohio

i can't believe how ignorant americains are, to elect obama.america is doomed 🙁

November 4, 2008 11:25 pm at 11:25 pm |
  21. DG

Somebody explain how they can declare a winner when the west coast states are showing 0% precincts reporting?

November 4, 2008 11:25 pm at 11:25 pm |
  22. chris

I AM THANKFUL FOR BEING PART OF HISTORY AND THIS WAS MY 1ST TIME VOTING

November 4, 2008 11:25 pm at 11:25 pm |
  23. Jon

Don't celebrate yet there is still a long road to go down. If you were not happy to be an American before tonight you need to look at other people in the world who do not have what we have here. Even with the Republican loss I am still happy to be an American.

November 4, 2008 11:25 pm at 11:25 pm |
  24. MSS

Praise God for this wonderful blessing. We must continue to keep Barack Obama, his family and this country in prayer.

November 4, 2008 11:25 pm at 11:25 pm |