November 4th, 2008

Barack Obama elected president

ALT TEXT

Barack Obama has been elected President of the United States, CNN projects.(AP PHOTO)
(CNN) - Democrat Barack Obama won the 2008 presidential election, CNN projects, defeating Republican John McCain.

With his inauguration on January 20, 2009, Obama will become the 44th president of the United States and the first African-American to hold the nation's highest office.

Obama is set to win the states of California, Hawaii, Oregon and Washington, CNN projects, putting him over the top.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • John McCain
  1. Erizo

Barak Hussein Obama is President of USA!!!

2. VZ

I am saddened at the lack of education on behalf of the people of the US. People have watched too much TV to have their views given to them and/or voted based on race instead of voting based on the candidates position. Obama has been my senator for 6 years and the only thing I got from it was higher taxes. Now, he will be giving the rest of my hard earned money to people who sit around with their hand out- I am disgusted. I am scared for the people of the US -however, the people who voted for John McCain cant be blamed when the US pays a heavy price for this decision-GOD BLESS AMERICA.

3. Dylan

lol, someone said "great, a loser prez here we come."

..where has he been for the last 8 republican years?

Congratulations, America; You came through where you couldn't quite 4 years ago, and just in time it seems.

4. Leon

Let's act civilized my people. It's only the beginning, he needs to prove that he's the change we need.

5. tiffany

AMAZING!

6. Meevee

So so so sso so ssoooooo happy we didn't get McCain as a president, that would have been like Bush2 The Thriller, LoL. I hope nuthin bads gunna happen to Obama.... Democrats Take D.C babyy

7. no left to blame now

Who are you dems going to blaim now? Good luck!

8. Jarrod

Well, this is a win for the single unwed mothers and people who don't know how to work for a living. Sorry all you hard working Americans, you just got a whole lot more mouths to feed. Top it all off now we're gonna lose a whole lot more money out of our checks to taxes to feed these people Friiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiick

9. Brandi-bottom of the boot

wow, Amy, the election is now over, please refrain from any offensive statements and allow us Americans to come together again.

i am definitely not ignorant. i can spell better than you. lol

10. ryanr007

The greatest nation on earth is once again great. "We're not a nation of red states or blue states but the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA".........George Bush, you are fired my friend!!!!

11. Obama voter

Congratulations Obama. You made me cry.
    I am so proud to be an American and have been part of history where we will now be a "United" States.
    There is a long road ahead but we will be in good hands.
    God Bless Obama and his family and God Bless America.

12. Okoth Samuel

Congrats guys for electing Barrack Obama as your 44th President. Long live U.S.A. Long live peace.

13. Erin Morris

Thank you Obama!!! You are loved greatly! Thank you for change. God Bless Us! Obama 08' Yesssssss!!!!!!!

14. Brian

If other countries are reading this, please believe us that we will stop acting like a petulant child. We will work with a smart, ethical president to bring peace to the world. Unlike the past 8 years, this man is good from the heart...GO OBAMA!

15. all american

Get ready for communism america! Stock up your shelves!

16. nelson

U.S. soldier proud to salute my new commander and chief. Obama lead the way baby! Congrats to my fellow Americans. words cant explain how I feel right now!

17. Mike Hannigan

Usa!Usa!Usa!A great day to be a american. Red or bule, black or white old or young. Yes we can!

18. Faith

History has been made!!! BARACK OBAMA is the man. Africa loves you Obama!!!

19. vinod

I knew he is going to win.

November 4, 2008 11:26 pm at 11:26 pm |
  20. V Man an the tweet

We support you and wish you the best in the next four years

November 4, 2008 11:26 pm at 11:26 pm |
  21. Orett L Campbell

A victory for hope, leadership and vision over the politics of fear and division!!! A victory for the issues over negative campaigning, Nazi-like propoganda and the practice of seeking to exploit the worst side of human nature a la Karl Rove!!!

November 4, 2008 11:26 pm at 11:26 pm |
  22. big E

Obama, it's time to do work and bring some change.

November 4, 2008 11:26 pm at 11:26 pm |
  23. kristy

History has been made tonight it's sad that in 2008 racial ignorance still exists this country need a young minded change to improve our nation

November 4, 2008 11:26 pm at 11:26 pm |
  24. Black McCain Votert in MS

I voted for McCain, thinking he would have been the best choice for President.

I was wrong

So now I am proud to say that I will back President Obama, and I hope he makes a great president.

MLK dream has been fulfilled, now let's see what he can do with the presidency

November 4, 2008 11:26 pm at 11:26 pm |
  25. James

Proud Asian American that voted for Obama. Let there be peace, let there be prosperity, let there be hope!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

November 4, 2008 11:26 pm at 11:26 pm |