November 4th, 2008

Barack Obama elected president

ALT TEXT

Barack Obama has been elected President of the United States, CNN projects.(AP PHOTO)
(CNN) - Democrat Barack Obama won the 2008 presidential election, CNN projects, defeating Republican John McCain.

With his inauguration on January 20, 2009, Obama will become the 44th president of the United States and the first African-American to hold the nation's highest office.

Obama is set to win the states of California, Hawaii, Oregon and Washington, CNN projects, putting him over the top.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • John McCain
  1. JANIE

TH YOU GOD FOR THIS MAN,THIS DAY,THIS YEAR,LORD I THANK U 4 EVERYTHING......MAY GOD BLESS U ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

2. tyler

To all the people that are dissing Obama, you guys are ridiculous.
    None of you would have the courage to do what he is doing and has done.
    And i'm pretty sure he will to a better job than the W. because that man really screwed us over.
    Obama was the rightful winner, because i dont know what we would do with Palin as our vice.
    She is just completely horrible, in all aspects.
    I believe that Barack Obama will lead us to a better United States of America.

3. Stemafia

Well, It was great growing up in a democratic nation, too bad my kids will have to grow up in a socialist country... Democrats own the senate, congress and the Prez. No more checks and balances means this country is as good as communist. Obama will make a great leader with his Marxist ideals.

4. Denise Groves

Lincoln, Maritn, Bobby, John, Coretta, Fredrick, Rosa, Emmitt, Lyndon, and most of all Toot and her daughter: I wish you could have lived to see this day!! RIP!

5. Bill

YES WE DID!

6. CT

The turn out would have been different if the majority of the people who simply voted for him based on his age and his ethicity would have actually read his policies and observed the people he surrounds himself with.
    We demand that our economy be pieced back together so we can all go back to being "happy", yet we don't seem to care that our moral foundation is crumbling to pieces. . .
    As much as I'd like to say that good times are ahead, I don't believe it myself.

hmm... well, everything happens for a reason, let's hope this is a good one.
    ... and lets hope that Biden doesn't get any closer to being president than he already is.

7. Kevin Carney

No matter how you feel about the outcome of this election, it's important to reflect on the process whereby in less than 50 years the people of the USA went from Jim Crow segregation, public and un-punished lynchings, segregated public places, and in some states illegal interacial marraiges, to today where a black man is the President Elect of the USA. There are other societies elsewhere in the world that are still torn by racial and religious differences after hundreds and in some cases a thousand or so years. This is ab outstanding victory for President Elect Barack Obama, but please do not lose sight of the fact that this an incredible victory for democratic process. This is truly an amazing turn of events.

8. Ahmed in Rhode Island

So, is the following going to happen next:
    1) Withdraw from occupied Iraq/Afganistan. No to Iran war.
    2) No to one world government.
    3) No to patriot Act, no to torture.
    4) No to the cartel called the FED.
    5) Yes to education, American jobs, and a better tomorrow.
    6) Yes to brotherhood of man.

We can pray together and work hard for brotherhood of man and help our new president in that effort.

9. Betty Gonzalez

YES, YES, YES! finally we can get rid of Bush and start again with new ideas and better everything for our country. I am so happy today, I will never forget today.

10. Blue Virginia

Easily the best day of my life.

11. Aaron

Bring on the Taxes...

12. No Hillary = No Obama

Big surprise. CNN projected Obama the winner back in February when it hijacked Hillary's nomination,smeared her with sexist and degrading comments, under cut McCain and did everything but crown Obama long before today. I actually feel this whole thing is a fraud.

13. Pam Holt Los Angeles, CA

THANK YOU MY FELLOW AMERICANS!!!

We can now have our country back!

BLESS YOU ALL that made it happen!

14. David Solis

I voted for Mccain but hope we can meet in the middle to get the important work done. I hope Obama at least governs from the middle like Clinton did. I give Obama my goodwill .

15. d.sims

hell yeah my grandma would appreciate this beautiful moment that has dropped down n fell on us !!! History has been made!! Go OBAMA!!

16. Rita Scriven

Congratulations to Barak Obama from Australia – You are the man and were from the beginning. YES! YES! YES!

You make the dreams happen! If you were in Australia, I would ask you to come to my home. 13 Annette Way, Coromandal Valley SA 5051 South Australia

Oh if only we had someone like you here – congratulations again and may you reign for a long long time

17. Bob Dinkle

I feel an icy chill creeping through my heart. We will have to live through the next four years with socialism, gay rights mandates, and infant homicide. God's plan is in here, I just can't see it. There will be judgment for this, wait and see.

18. kris

how ignorant, hang on to your hats people, we are in deep trouble...

19. suji

YEAHHHHHHHHH GOBAMA!!!!!

20. IAN HARDY

WE PEOPLE OF PLANET EARTH THANK GOD FOR LETTING OBAMA WIN GIVING US A NEW NEW WORLD ORDER BASED ON RESPECT FOR ALL MANKIND.

21. Brent Wilson

Notice how the 66% of the voters were 18-23 i believe that we have a new census on what we the newer generations want and that we are better informed and better prepared to select a president. I love being 21 and i am proud to say that i did follow the elections and made a wise decision on who i would like to be the 44th president of the U.S. i do however hope that certain promises will be kept and that this election hasn't been in vain. I hate having to regret a decision i have made especially when it looms in my mind for 4 years.

22. janet

I am soooooooooo Blessed to be living in this moment.
    Congrats President Obama

Yahooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

November 4, 2008 11:27 pm at 11:27 pm |
  23. Canada.NEEDS.Obama.

CANADA THANKS YOU ALL A MILLION TIMES.

November 4, 2008 11:27 pm at 11:27 pm |
  24. not brainwashed

CONgratulations to Odumba! Rember you get what you pay for, just wait till the media turns on him, the REAL obama will show. Oh yeah I suppose, according to the koolaid drinkers who all the racists states are,hahah so sad what joke!

November 4, 2008 11:27 pm at 11:27 pm |
  25. Spoldrtn69

I was most proud of the outcome of the election.
    God Bless America!

I was truly impressed by McCain's speech it was a great way to end. He gained a great deal of respect!

Thank GOD! I never thought I would LIVE to see the day! What a glorious day it is!

November 4, 2008 11:27 pm at 11:27 pm |