November 4th, 2008

Barack Obama elected president

ALT TEXT

Barack Obama has been elected President of the United States, CNN projects.(AP PHOTO)
(CNN) - Democrat Barack Obama won the 2008 presidential election, CNN projects, defeating Republican John McCain.

With his inauguration on January 20, 2009, Obama will become the 44th president of the United States and the first African-American to hold the nation's highest office.

Obama is set to win the states of California, Hawaii, Oregon and Washington, CNN projects, putting him over the top.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • John McCain
  1. Former Republican in Southlake, TX ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I am a 60 year old white woman who was raised in a fairly racist household. Fortunately I had opportunities that led me all over this United States and I was able to meet people from all races and form my 'own' opinions. With the announcement just a few minutes ago that projects Barack Obama to be the President-elect, I literally cried with happiness. It is time we all come together as one nation and strive for the good for ALL Americans. I am so proud that our country has chosen to ignore 'color' and elect this man as President. Now, please, let us ALL become "Americans" and forget about political parties, race, color, gender, etc…. let us ALL work for a better, stronger, more caring AMERICA. God bless Barack Obama & Joe Biden… God bless America.

November 4, 2008 11:15 pm at 11:15 pm |
  2. Confused

I would like to go back to an earlier post. How can they call the west coast states before they actually have any votes posted on their site???

November 4, 2008 11:15 pm at 11:15 pm |
  3. David

I agree with you Amy, I think we are the only ones with any sence.

November 4, 2008 11:15 pm at 11:15 pm |
  4. STPANIMALABUSE

Good Luck to Obama in the next 4 years!
    Love, Peace, Change
    GOOOOOOOOOO DEMOCRATS AND INTELLIGENCE!!!

November 4, 2008 11:15 pm at 11:15 pm |
  5. RICK

THAT WAS EASY LOL SORRY MCAIN LOVERS IT'S OVER!

November 4, 2008 11:15 pm at 11:15 pm |
  6. Chris from Holland

Let's hope the US will now focus on it's own problems instead of warmongering.

November 4, 2008 11:15 pm at 11:15 pm |
  7. WIN

YES! America can finally get on top! gg McCain but you fail, I honestly don't see how anyone can take him seriously as a world leader, especially with Palin, haha palin 2012, that's going to be a funny election

November 4, 2008 11:15 pm at 11:15 pm |
  8. Jersey Menchaca

YES! PRAISE GOD! there is still hope for this country!

November 4, 2008 11:15 pm at 11:15 pm |
  9. Matthew

I was hoping that this story would show up on the ticker because I wanted to rub it in the haters' faces; however, as this historic moment continues to settle in, I realize that this is a time for pride in my country and hope for our future rather than childish nonsense. God bless you senators Barack Obama and Joe Biden, let your stars shine on the country as well as the world; follow this historic moment through with a spectacular administration for generations to look back on for strength and guidance.

Yes we can, yes we did, yes we will!

November 4, 2008 11:15 pm at 11:15 pm |
  10. Ghost

Heck yeah!!!!!!

November 4, 2008 11:15 pm at 11:15 pm |
  11. Crazymoon2

President Elect Barack Obama way to go!!!!

Now let's start cleaning up the Bush mess..........

November 4, 2008 11:15 pm at 11:15 pm |
  12. erikazzzzz

YESSS 😀
    It's about time for a change 😀

13. B. Jean

It feels like New Years Eve, I just can't wait for the next four years. This is the first time I have been excited for an election, please don't let the American people down. Congratulations to our new President Obama, and to his family.

14. MONICA

HIP HIP HOORAY!!!!!!!

15. Ray

Congratulations Obama !
    God bless US !

16. Erik

Well deserved by Mr. Obama, im sure he will definitely do a great job!

17. John

Congrats America on making the best choice for President.

18. long live to Obama

poor him ... i am really happy but he is probably not going in the history,he's taking control of this country that is having soo many troubles ... good luck Obama you will need it ...

19. Bill

Amy wrote:
    "How can the presidential election be projected two minutes after the polls close on the west coast??"

We do not elect the president with the popular vote, we use the electoral college. There is no way McCain can win without Ohio or Penn., so the race is over. In fact, McCain just called Obama and conceded the race to him.

20. Danny

I waited for this moment for 8 long years... Thank you, Jesus!

21. Cami

I am so proud of you OBAMA!!! My vote went to you!!!!!

22. bart

this is a good day for the whole world!
    Thank you America!

23. jessica

Obama – now prove those Republicans wrong and be a wonderful president!!

24. justin preyer

I may only be fourteen, but i know where I stand, and i say - Good Job Barack Obama, Make Our Country Proud.

25. Edward

Mr President Obama I hope and pray that God wil give you the wisdom to give America the leadership she needs.. God Bless

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20