November 4th, 2008

Brazile: The day we turned the page

(CNN) - Tuesday, November 4, 2008 will go down as the day America opened its history book, turned the page and started a new chapter of change.

This is truly an historic night - a moment many of us prayed for, marched for, organized for and some even died for. This is not the end of a journey, but the turning of a major page in American history.

If Dr Martin Luther King were alive, he would have cautioned us not to stop praying, not to stop marching, but to keep the dream alive.

As Senator Barack Obama has stated so long ago, change never comes easy. Tonight the people of America will tell the world that they are ready for change and they will back Obama in leading the change.

Filed under: 2008 Election
  1. timber

Donna Brazile, a well-known black racist, should enjoy her time in the sun.

November 4, 2008 11:14 pm at 11:14 pm |
  2. Samyra, GA

God Bless America!

November 4, 2008 11:14 pm at 11:14 pm |
  3. Former Republican in Southlake, TX ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I am a 60 year old white woman who was raised in a fairly racist household. Fortunately I had opportunities that led me all over this United States and I was able to meet people from all races and form my 'own' opinions. With the announcement just a few minutes ago that projects Barack Obama to be the President-elect, I literally cried with happiness. It is time we all come together as one nation and strive for the good for ALL Americans. I am so proud that our country has chosen to ignore 'color' and elect this man as President. Now, please, let us ALL become "Americans" and forget about political parties, race, color, gender, etc.... let us ALL work for a better, stronger, more caring AMERICA. God bless Barack Obama & Joe Biden... God bless America.

November 4, 2008 11:14 pm at 11:14 pm |
  4. shelly

Well said. Please pray for the safety and strength of the new first family. Pray that God grant him wisdom to do what needs to be done for this country.

November 4, 2008 11:14 pm at 11:14 pm |
  5. Slash

When my parents were born, there were parts of the country where interracial marriage was banned. Now, in my era, I've helped vote for the first black President.

It feels pretty good.

November 4, 2008 11:14 pm at 11:14 pm |
  6. IK

Yeah Donna..........I agree with u

OBAMA 08

November 4, 2008 11:14 pm at 11:14 pm |
  7. Edmund

Obama's votes aren't empty. A lot of trust went with them. We are watching.

November 4, 2008 11:15 pm at 11:15 pm |
  8. Reason

Remember, friend, change can always be a bad thing. The next four years will be interesting, for all of us.

November 4, 2008 11:16 pm at 11:16 pm |
  9. jbaby

Yes, Glod Bless us all!

November 4, 2008 11:16 pm at 11:16 pm |
  10. patsy

what if the electoral votes are sided for one candidate and the people count is for the other. what decides? who gets it.

November 4, 2008 11:16 pm at 11:16 pm |
  11. Marie and Ted - Canada

America congratulations!

This is the dawn of a new era, you not only gave yourself hope for a better tomorrow but you also gave the rest of the world hope for discussions and debate will replace ideological brute force!

November 4, 2008 11:17 pm at 11:17 pm |
  12. Mari

WOOOO! YEH! WE'VE TURNED A PAGE. WOOOO! I'M PROUD TO BE AN AMERICAN!

O BA MA! O BA MA!

November 4, 2008 11:17 pm at 11:17 pm |
  13. Steph W

I am so overwhelmed and excited at what we've accomplished. I feel like we've dragged ourselves out of the dark ages with this choice. Do I see Obama as a panacea for all our troubles and ills? No, of course not, but I definitely feel like this is a step in the right direction for us to wake up to our problems and become a more positive part of the global society. The "change" is in our attitude, not any one policy or promise.

November 4, 2008 11:17 pm at 11:17 pm |
  14. In tears

I am an American living in Guam, a US territory in the western Pacific. Even though we are American citizens we still don't have the right to vote for a president here in Guam. I do hope that it willl change in the near future. For the time being I am in tears of the reality that Obama is now our president. We are truly the greatest nation in the world. Only in America is this story possible.

November 4, 2008 11:17 pm at 11:17 pm |
  15. Marcus in NC

Well said, Donna! Very well said, indeed!

Obama/Biden '08!!!!!!!

November 4, 2008 11:17 pm at 11:17 pm |
  16. Really

But did you vote for him because of the content of his character?

November 4, 2008 11:18 pm at 11:18 pm |
  17. Marylou South Carolina

A President we can be proud of. The new day is just beginning. We must all stand strong, be patient and keep the faith. Change doesn't come easy..it will take all of us.

November 4, 2008 11:18 pm at 11:18 pm |
  18. john

Finally, there are no more excuses! Finally, everyone has to pull their own weight! Finally, there's nobody to blame for being held down! You all wanted it, now you all have it. Let's just hope we can all live with it.

November 4, 2008 11:18 pm at 11:18 pm |
  19. steve

Today America died.....what a sad day!

November 4, 2008 11:18 pm at 11:18 pm |
  20. Betty

My question is did anyone think of the repercussions of a Democratic majority House, Senate, and White House? I think this is not good, there is no room for debate, or compromise. I dread the next 4 years.

November 4, 2008 11:18 pm at 11:18 pm |
  21. Bonnie

I did not want him as president. i am sorry he won, but now we all need to pull together to do the best we can. to me this is a real disappointment.

November 4, 2008 11:18 pm at 11:18 pm |
  22. Ghost

This is a great day for America. Congrats President Obama!

November 4, 2008 11:18 pm at 11:18 pm |
  23. Imanamani Marcano

What a time to be alive!!!

November 4, 2008 11:18 pm at 11:18 pm |
  24. Obama Supporter in Texas

I am crying with such joy - I never thought I would see this day - I have been on pins and needles as the polls began to close and tried to get other things done but could not concentrate, turning towards the TV as each "projection" was cast out on the map. Barack Obama is not the Messiah, nor is he the deliverer - he is a Good, Christian Man who brought about a sense of HOPE that has been missing in this country for some time. My children have someone just like them that they can look up to - not just a black man, but a biracial American who has been elected the 44th President of the United States - WE ARE ALL AMERICANS and we should ALL be PROUD of what has transpired this day!!!!! Pray for our country - the hard part will now begin - we must COME TOGETHER in support of our government so that we, as a country can move forward.

GOD BLESS THE USA!!!!!

November 4, 2008 11:18 pm at 11:18 pm |
  25. Dianne Bourbonnais IL

Yes!! We Can!! We Did!!

I am so thankful for these results. I had a difficult time understanding how so many couldn't see the giftedness of this man. Why couldn't they see that he is someone who can unite us and lead us to a better place? His grace, dignity, wisdom and strength and his ability to inspire is what we need in a President.

God Bless America!