November 4th, 2008

CNNMoney: Voting their pocketbook

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/11/04/art.voting.jpg caption=" Voters are voting with their pocketbook this Election Day."]
WILKES-BARRE, Pa. - Barack Obama and John McCain have courted Lisa Hampton's vote for months, but the Kingston, Pa., resident still isn't sure which one she'll pick.

What she does know is how much the rising price of soda, steaks and natural gas is squeezing her family budget. The married mother of two grown girls rattled off the price of Coke, which now costs her $7 for a 24-pack, up from $5 only a few months ago, and of roast beef, which has jumped to $12 from $8.

While Hampton thinks McCain is stronger on national security issues, she believes Obama would do more to revive the economy and ease the burden of working Americans.

"He might actually help middle-class people more with his tax cuts," said Hampton, 46, who cleans offices in downtown Wilkes-Barre. "He would help people like me."

The presidential candidates' prescriptions for the weakening economy could prove the deciding factor on Tuesday with voters in crucial swing states such as Pennsylvania. Obama advocates tax relief for middle- and lower-income workers, while McCain says cutting taxes on businesses and the wealthy will create more jobs.

Full story

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • John McCain
  1. Independent and loving it - Minnesota

You McCain are some of the scariest people I have ever seen. You openly accept racism and lies. 95% of Americans will be better off financially under Obama. Do you people ever read the facts from independent investigation organizations. You people are hate and warmongers. You will be the one who destroy this country with your backwards, redneck thinking.

"A lie will be a truth if it is repeated enough times – Adolf Hitler 1941

November 4, 2008 09:55 am at 9:55 am |
  2. debra

Through prayer, hope, and CHANGE our nation will unite and overcome these last eight years of lies, deception and ill-will toward all.
    OBAMA 08

November 4, 2008 09:56 am at 9:56 am |
  3. President McCain

We are all Americans!

November 4, 2008 09:57 am at 9:57 am |
  4. Triggidy

Just voted this morning, huge lines at 6 AM in STL. It's good to see this many people interested in their country and the direction it will go. I went for that one because I want to go the right way. Also, at least 20 robocalls from the Missouri and national GOP helped push me out of bed this morning.

GOP supporters, what does bull-ish taste like coming back up?

November 4, 2008 09:58 am at 9:58 am |
  5. WELCOME TO THE OBAMA SHOW

HEY CNN YOU NETWORK IS CROOKED AND is awaiting moderation.

November 4, 2008 09:58 am at 9:58 am |
  6. Gail

If you want an an unknown person with no experience regarding the constitution, vote for Palin/McCain.

November 4, 2008 09:59 am at 9:59 am |
  7. Hpotterfan77 from CT

I just voted for THAT ONE and it felt sooooo good!

November 4, 2008 09:59 am at 9:59 am |
  8. Constitution being saved by obama? Hardly

If you think voting for Obama is saving our Constitution you are as sheltered and ignorant as your normal hate rhetoric here. It is true most 65 yr old are delusional.. Especially if you are from the south.

Thanks for confirming it!

November 4, 2008 10:00 am at 10:00 am |
  9. Independent but Leaning

It's a shame when we put the dollar ahead of the values that made our country great.

What's the point, anyway? Obama is just going to take that dollar and give it someone he thinks needs it more than you.

November 4, 2008 10:01 am at 10:01 am |
  10. Joe Butler

It really is a simple solution... If you are still undecided, stay home as I would agree there is no excuse for still being undecided...

They is, in my humble opinion, but one choice for America and the world for that matter and he is Barack Obama...

Short of another crooked election (hello Florida), President Obama will be an awesome leader for the USA and the World...

This WILL NOT BE CLOSE... minimal: 317 – 221 (without FL) more likely 354 – 184 (with FL)... remember, you heard it here first...

The World is Watching!!

Joe the Security Architect

November 4, 2008 10:02 am at 10:02 am |
  11. YOLANDA

I'm sorry but there are no undecideds at this time. People know who they are going to vote for, they just don't want to say for what ever reason.

November 4, 2008 10:02 am at 10:02 am |
  12. Jenn

I guess I must be an idiot or a moron like all you people say. I can't decide who will be the lesser of two evils. It truely scares me how much worse both of these people can make this country.
    One with being niave and one with pissing alot of people off on foreign policy
    One with no plan for the economy and one that just wants to raise taxes but really cut taxes and spend like there is no tomorrow.
    Neither one has demonstrated any clear leadership on any issues
    What about border security they have been telling the spanish speaking people what they are all about but unless you understand spanish too bad
    Neither one has a great Heath care plan
    They both are against gay marrage
    I could sit here and list their stands on the issues and believe it or not most are in line with each other except a few.

The 3 major issues to decide on pro life or pro choice; policy on the war and foreign policy ; and the economy.

Don't call me an idiot for still be undecided, because neither one has given me anything to jump for joy over.
    I think the real change will come when we as a whole nation take our country back and make the congress and the senate have term limits.
    The most important choice I have today is not the vote for President but for my Senator and Congressman

November 4, 2008 10:06 am at 10:06 am |
  13. JIM...TX

GARY...you sound like the typical right-wing nut job. " The dems and their fraud. Have you forgotten 2000 and 2004? Guess we'll have to listen to your excuses for a month now after the Dem's WIN big time!

November 4, 2008 10:06 am at 10:06 am |
  14. Xavier, Saint Louis, Missouri

I voted for Obama this morning and it felt great to do so! Yes, the line was long and it took about an hour and half, but it was worth every second!

YES WE CAN!

November 4, 2008 10:09 am at 10:09 am |
  15. LindaT

I plan to retired next few years and with the economy right now, with McCain cut out the Social Security program, I don't know how I can make it in my old age. I admired Senator Obama achievements. Sarah Palin is the joke of Republican. Even I came to United States 37 years ago from a third world country, I still know more than she does. She is so dumb that she took 6 yrs in 4 different colleges to get a degree. I don't believe in McCain for a minute. This is the historic for American people across the land.

November 4, 2008 10:09 am at 10:09 am |
  16. Will the Real Maverick Please Stand Up?

Why are these people news? Drink water (it's better for you anyway) and cut back on the meat.

Gary–go hide in your bunker.

Taxable–LOL! A republican with a sense of humor and gracious in defeat?

November 4, 2008 10:11 am at 10:11 am |
  17. DBrya

Hi Americans

It is interesting that most people think the problems in America can be fixed without tax increases. If you dont have some reasonable tax increase then where will the money come from to fix your country's woes. I guess borrow, but from Who?. There is a lot of things to think about. In Canada we have one of the highest tax rate but still have a strong middle calss. I hate taxes, but we cannot live well without it. The next leader have to think hard about where to really cut taxes without plunging the country into deaper debt. By the way we also drill and drill but our gas price is higher than yours and guess what?, we have the 2nd highest supply of oil in the world. Most is exported to the U.S. When you guys start drilling, teach our prime minister a lesson or two on how to drop oil prices when productionis so high.

November 4, 2008 10:12 am at 10:12 am |
  18. Donell Jenkins jc nj

Its time for change and as a young first time voter I'm glad to say that I'm a proud OBAMA supporter!!!!!!!! Get out in vote!!!

November 4, 2008 10:13 am at 10:13 am |
  19. db.in.tx

God help us all, even a blind man can see the false face Obama has put on, underneath that calm is an anger seething and ready to pounce. The first time I ever saw the man on Oprah a chill ran through me and I don't trust him at all. Not because of his skin color, but by some of his own statements. Oh he is an eloquent speaker, but so was Satan when he offered Jesus the world.

November 4, 2008 10:13 am at 10:13 am |
  20. Steve A. , New Braunfels , Texas

Get away from your computer, quit reading these post. go vote!!!!!!! For Obama

November 4, 2008 10:14 am at 10:14 am |
  21. judy

honored the heroes that died to protect my right to vote today. as a country we will either make history or be doomed to repeat it. no matter who wins I pray for this land of diverse ethic people, remember we are the melting pot of the world and the world leaders are waitng to see what we do . laughing stock or bruised but proud? your choice already made mine.

November 4, 2008 10:14 am at 10:14 am |
  22. John a frustrated Conservative

Being hit with the ridiculaous propaganda the past weeks is a pure sign of how endangered this country truly is. I believe in free speech but somehow something needs to stop the fabricated lies in these commercials. The Republicans live by it. They are afraid.

Go Obama!

November 4, 2008 10:21 am at 10:21 am |
  23. Zaga

Gary,
    McCain Can't even run an effective campaign, not even his VP agree with his policy, he have no clue whats going on in his campaign how can he run a country? 6 yrs as in Prison does not qualify one to be President. weather POW or any other, they do teach leadership to POW camp.

November 4, 2008 10:26 am at 10:26 am |
  24. Zaga

Gary,
    McCain Can't even run an effective campaign, not even his VP agree with his policy, he have no clue whats going on in his campaign how can he run a country? 6 yrs as in Prison does not qualify one to be President. weather POW or any other, they do not teach leadership to POW camp.

November 4, 2008 10:27 am at 10:27 am |
  25. steph

McCain lo0ks so fake....jajajaja !!!! Only God has the power to changed this country... I hope obama is going to obey and observe God commandments!! vote and pray........
    *Obama next president of USA*