November 17th, 2008

Bill Clinton says wife would be 'great' secretary of state

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/11/17/art.billc.ap.jpg caption=" Bill Clinton says his wife would make a great secretary of state."](CNN) - Former President Bill Clinton is weighing in on the possibility of his wife becoming secretary of state, saying the New York senator would "be really great" in the post.

"She loves doing what she is doing. But if she decided - if he decided to ask her to do it and they did it together I think she'd be really great at being secretary of state," Clinton said Sunday during an economic conference in Kuwait hosted by the National Bank of Kuwait.

But the former president made clear his wife did not seek out a job offer.

"She worked very hard for his election after the primary fight they had and so did I and we were very glad that he won and we have a lot of confidence that he can do a good job. But she did not do what she did with the hope or expectation of getting any kind of job offer, much less getting this discussed," he said.

The New York senator is reportedly on Obama's shortlist for the position. Sources tell CNN New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson is also in the running.

1. susie

I don't understand what the problem is. Our government helps out different countries, with billions of dollars, Yet, the government doesn't want to help out our own industries. Our industries and their employees have paid millions of tax dollars. Why shouldn't we help them? The government is the one who open up trade among countries, they are at fault for losing so many jobs here in America. When the trade was open, that is when everything started to get sucked out of our country. We need to help our own before helping other countries

November 17, 2008 09:41 am at 9:41 am |
  2. Cindy from NC

Isn't it funny that he always says she would do a great job at this or that but she makes it clear she is not looking for the job. I think Bill Clinton keeps doing his wife a sad disservice.

November 17, 2008 09:44 am at 9:44 am |
  3. Alice Brinkley

Hillary might as well take the Sec/State job since in 2012 she will be too old to run for President from a senator position. She will be approaching 70 which is senility to the young whippersnappers in the country who mistakenly think only the young have good ideas.

November 17, 2008 09:44 am at 9:44 am |
  4. LyonsPhilly

I'm excited. I hope Hillary will takes the position....I believe her an Obama would make a great team.

November 17, 2008 09:44 am at 9:44 am |
  5. Lee B.

I just don't think Hillary Clinton is the one for the job. I think she is too bossy and would try to run the show.

November 17, 2008 09:44 am at 9:44 am |
  6. MikeNC

Bill Clinton – I loved you, voted for you, and still in some part idolize you. You are one of the greats in my opinion! So when I say this, I do with fortitude and humbleness....

SHUT UP!!!!!!

November 17, 2008 09:45 am at 9:45 am |
  7. Alice Brinkley

Why is Bill still around and having so much to say about US presidential politics anyway? Goodness knows, his escapades brought down the moral standards in our country, and he thinks no one noticed?

November 17, 2008 09:46 am at 9:46 am |
  8. RAYMOND

And an even better president
    She shouldn't accept

November 17, 2008 09:46 am at 9:46 am |
  9. Dirty Blue Widgets

I think she would do better as a Senator.

November 17, 2008 09:47 am at 9:47 am |
  10. YS from Missouri

Amen to that! I think Hillary will make a fantastic Secretary of State. She has a lot of respect from world leaders all over the world and her husband's credibility will also help boost her relations with foreign leaders.

Hilllary Clinton for Secretary of State!!!

November 17, 2008 09:47 am at 9:47 am |
  11. BARACK ATTACK

yeah?? is that bill clinton's idea?? seriously???

i, for one, am shocked.

November 17, 2008 09:48 am at 9:48 am |
  12. rich

Hillary, this is Richard. Go for it! Bill is on board and so am I.

November 17, 2008 09:49 am at 9:49 am |
  13. Ruby

Hillary deserves to be in the highest political spotlight. She has proved herself to America.

November 17, 2008 09:50 am at 9:50 am |
  14. Chris

I think this would be a great Job for Sen. Clinton. Hope you get's it.

November 17, 2008 09:51 am at 9:51 am |
  15. Powell_For_Secretary_of_State

Obama should consider Powell, Kerry or Edwards as secretary of state. Powell has experience as secretary of state under Bush, he now probably wants a post in the new administration. Obama needs all the help he can get, from people who are qualified and tested.

November 17, 2008 09:52 am at 9:52 am |
  16. Jano1234

Well, my husband and I were for Clinton and after she was not the nominee, we did vote for McCain. However, if Obama selects Clinton for Secretary of State, we would definitely be behind him. That would show us a great deal about the man and his plan to help America. Clinton would be fabulous!!!

November 17, 2008 09:52 am at 9:52 am |
  17. Susan

Yes, she would! Obama is picking excellent cabinet!

November 17, 2008 09:53 am at 9:53 am |
  18. Mickie

Bill Clinton should learn how to keep his mouth shut and fade into the background, especially since it may just be his connections that may cause Hillary the appointment. He still has not learned he is not the only past or present president and his terms are DONE!

November 17, 2008 09:53 am at 9:53 am |
  19. Mary

is wife would be great but Obama isn't great.hmmmmmmmm

November 17, 2008 09:53 am at 9:53 am |
  20. m. mckenzie

Hillary would be fantastic as secretary of state. She is well liked and very knowledgeable.

November 17, 2008 09:54 am at 9:54 am |
  21. Angie-OHIO

And so do we Mr President. I hope she is our next SOS.

November 17, 2008 09:55 am at 9:55 am |
  22. S.

Hillary Clinton is a well respected, intelligent senator. I cannot think of anyone better than her to be the next Secretary of State. I have always thought Fareed Zakaria would be a great Secretary of State as well. I am thirlled with the way Obama has been conducting his business so far – meeting with Sen. Clinton, meeting with Sen. McCain!

November 17, 2008 09:55 am at 9:55 am |
  23. AL

I think she would be a great choice..

November 17, 2008 09:56 am at 9:56 am |
  24. NuDeal

Any opportunity that the President-elect has to put the best talent around him is a good move. I just hope they are ready for politics that is service oriented and not politics that are surface oriented.

November 17, 2008 09:57 am at 9:57 am |
  25. REVOLUTION

I wish the media stops trying to push Hillary on Obama, let him make his own decisions. If she wasn't so pushy, she would have been the VP. We didn't like it before, so why would we like it now, We know she only did what she did for Obama to salvage her political career, but Hillary only cares about Hillary

November 17, 2008 09:57 am at 9:57 am |