November 17th, 2008

Bill Clinton says wife would be 'great' secretary of state

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/11/17/art.billc.ap.jpg caption=" Bill Clinton says his wife would make a great secretary of state."](CNN) - Former President Bill Clinton is weighing in on the possibility of his wife becoming secretary of state, saying the New York senator would "be really great" in the post.

"She loves doing what she is doing. But if she decided - if he decided to ask her to do it and they did it together I think she'd be really great at being secretary of state," Clinton said Sunday during an economic conference in Kuwait hosted by the National Bank of Kuwait.

But the former president made clear his wife did not seek out a job offer.

"She worked very hard for his election after the primary fight they had and so did I and we were very glad that he won and we have a lot of confidence that he can do a good job. But she did not do what she did with the hope or expectation of getting any kind of job offer, much less getting this discussed," he said.

The New York senator is reportedly on Obama's shortlist for the position. Sources tell CNN New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson is also in the running.

1. Don

Wow how shallow some of you people are. Here your still hung up on Hillary. She and her husband did everything they could to undermine Obama. They said cruel things about him and yet you think she is worthy of the Secretary of State post? Give me a break and please its too early in the morning for you to be smoking so much. Let your head clear and then make a valid comment that has more substance than her being worthy of the post.

November 17, 2008 10:31 am at 10:31 am |
  2. Mickey

He's the problem – with Hillary, you get Bill. I was a supporter of his, but lately he's a loose cannon. Can't he just retire?

November 17, 2008 10:32 am at 10:32 am |
  3. Bridget

Wow! Th Clinton Dynasty is still fighting for a Royal seat in the United States of America!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

August 26, 2008 the Democratic Party gave Chelsea a prime spot on CNN coverage for the media world yet Former President Carter did not have any impotant coverage time!!!!!!!!!

November 17, 2008 10:32 am at 10:32 am |
  4. Garry

I think she would be excellant in this position, she knows how to be tough and she knows how to listen and understand.
    Too old to run in 2012? Please, she will be the most excellant choice for 2012.
    I think Obama has a long road ahead of him, but he needs to focus on jobs, health care and EQUAL RIGHTS!!

November 17, 2008 10:33 am at 10:33 am |
  5. pam Eugene OR

right Bill. You did it out of the kindness of your hearts! Of course Bill and Hill want something and the want something big, like Sec of State.
    Please do not put the Clintons' back in power Barack. Keep the out of the Federal government. I voted for Obama and NOT Clinton!

November 17, 2008 10:33 am at 10:33 am |
  6. Proud to be American

Hillary would do a good job at whatever serving our country however, I think she would do best as Secretary of Health.... this way she and Kennedy can serious get our health care up to par.

November 17, 2008 10:33 am at 10:33 am |
  7. chuck

When the CAT is AWAY the mouse will PLAY. I hope Billy"s fitness is good because there will be lots of young,middle,and old ducks quacking in the pond for some TLC.

November 17, 2008 10:33 am at 10:33 am |
  8. Hillary for SOS

Bill Clinton had to make the record straight that it was Obama who called her. He is still fighting this ego thing. Regardless, I agree with most posters it will be a great move for Hillary be on the World stage. The Country needs her.

November 17, 2008 10:33 am at 10:33 am |
  9. Debra

Bill Richardson is all about spotlight. This is not who we need in any position unless it is press secretary.

November 17, 2008 10:33 am at 10:33 am |
  10. Robert

and by the way, I'm glad a former president does gets asked these questions............not sure why some of you have a problem with this. If i am asked a question.......i too reply as needed. Some of you would rather we ask BUSH? I'd be happy to hear what he had to say.....but the problem, he's shown his answer the last 8 years to the world and so we can live without any good feedback from him.

November 17, 2008 10:34 am at 10:34 am |
  11. ConsDemo

Anyone but Hillary!

November 17, 2008 10:35 am at 10:35 am |
  12. R Devgan

Hillary will be a terrific as Sec of State.

November 17, 2008 10:35 am at 10:35 am |
  13. Donna

I do believe that this is where Hiliary's star would shine the brightest! I hope she gets the job.

November 17, 2008 10:36 am at 10:36 am |
  14. Robert

Bill Richardson – nice guy but little depth on the International diplomatic front and would question his strength.

November 17, 2008 10:36 am at 10:36 am |
  15. KJL

He thought she would be a great president, too. Bill loves Hillary!

November 17, 2008 10:37 am at 10:37 am |
  16. goofus

As a Republican I beleive we need a somewhat hawkish person like Hillary as S of S.

November 17, 2008 10:38 am at 10:38 am |
  17. Bridget

Former President Clinton is still proving his lack of diplomacy!!!!

November 17, 2008 10:38 am at 10:38 am |
  18. arc, Lugano CH

I didn't vote for Hillary Clinton in the Primary. Her scorched earth campaign truly turned me away (and many others) from supporting her as the Democratic nominee. However, I think that she would be a fine Secretary of State; or perhaps Richard Holbrooke. I am not too sold on Kerry for that specific Cabinet position.

President Elect Obama seems like he is building a strong coalition from both parties to best put this country forward. But I don’t think that McCain should be chosen as Secretary of Defense or National Security. His erratic temperament could prove to be dangerous in such a position.

November 17, 2008 10:39 am at 10:39 am |
  19. Turner

Absolutely fantastic if the opportuniy is offered to Hillary and she accepts. Knowledge is Power everything she can bring to the table and yes even Bill will help Obama. Great DUO or TRIO however you want to call it! pt

November 17, 2008 10:39 am at 10:39 am |
  20. james

We sure don`t need someone off the street to conform to "change". We need someone that knows the ropes and the people they are to deal with and represent the views of the administration. Obama will follow those edicts

November 17, 2008 10:40 am at 10:40 am |
  21. leslie kidd

there seems to be lots of money to bial out fat cats +badly managed corps . but what about disabled people fighting with social security for benifits they have earned . no one seems to care about them

November 17, 2008 10:41 am at 10:41 am |
  22. Phil-Little Rock

With all due respects, I don't remember anyone asking him what he thought................

November 17, 2008 10:41 am at 10:41 am |
  23. Bridget

This is my third post about the Clinton Dynasty yet my freedom of speech does not matter if its about the Clinton Dynasty.

November 17, 2008 10:42 am at 10:42 am |
  24. Sanity Has Returned

I don't think Obama offered her SOS position. I believe he asked her for advice on several other candidates. There is plenty of vetting yet to be done on Hillary and I think she will be happy to stay in the Senate. Now Hillary being the Senate Majority leader would be a nice position.

November 17, 2008 10:42 am at 10:42 am |
  25. Lu

I'm flummoxed by the choice of Clinton over Richardson for this particular position, if indeed that does end up being the case.

November 17, 2008 10:42 am at 10:42 am |