November 19th, 2008

Texas grand Jury indicts Cheney, Gonzales

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/11/18/art.cheney.gi.jpg caption="Vice President Dick Cheney"](CNN) - A grand jury in south Texas indicted Vice President Dick Cheney and former Attorney General Alberto Gonzales on separate charges related to alleged prisoner abuse in federal detention centers, Willacy County District Attorney Juan Angel Guerra told CNN Tuesday.

On the southern tip of Texas, Willacy County is on the United States-Mexico border.

Democratic state Sen. Eddie Lucio, Jr. is also charged in the indictment. Michael R. Cowen, an attorney for Lucio, issued a statement calling Guerra a "one man circus."

"In the March 2008 Democratic Primary, 70 percent of the Willacy County voters elected to remove Juan Guerra as Willacy County District Attorney," Cowen said in a statement. "Now, with only a few weeks left in his term, Mr.Guerra has again chosen to misuse his position in an attempt to seek revenge on those who he sees as political enemies."

Cheney spokeswoman Megan Mitchell said, "The vice president has not received an indictment."

The Associated Press reported that the indictment stems from Cheney's investment in the Vanguard Group - an investment management company that reportedly has interests in the prison companies in charge of the detention centers. It also charges Gonzales halted an investigation into abuse at the detention centers while he was attorney general.

Filed under: Dick Cheney
  1. imagine

hey, Dawn! The phrase you are looking for is "good riddence to bad rubbish."

November 19, 2008 09:14 am at 9:14 am |
  2. Kevin P

What are the chances W will pardon them........hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm......semms likely.

November 19, 2008 09:16 am at 9:16 am |
  3. happy thanksgiving

this is good, but cheney needs to be charged for helping start the araq war , when he and bush knew there was not a just reason to do this. 911 was terrible, but to destroy america, tell me what have they accomplished?

November 19, 2008 09:16 am at 9:16 am |
  4. Chad in NC

I just love the spelling and grammar of all these democrats. It's hard to believe that statistics say they're the educated ones, but then again degrees in philosophy, art and film appreciation and women's studies don't do much to educate one about government, finance or how to be productive members of society.

November 19, 2008 09:24 am at 9:24 am |
  5. JFK

Its about time! These thugs have gotten away with a lot so far.

November 19, 2008 09:25 am at 9:25 am |
  6. Steve A. , New Braunfels , Texas

That group of people up there ( the bush club ) take care of there own. nothing will come out of this, it will be just swept under the rug with the rest of there wrong doings.

November 19, 2008 09:25 am at 9:25 am |
  7. SueB

He's been indicted for having investments in mutual funds? Surely you folks on here aren't really excited about that. This will be a hayday for lawyers! When are they going to come after you and I for our mutual fund investments? Let's see, there's the person who slips and falls at WalMart, then sues all mutual fund holders who have investments they may or may not have even known about in WalMart? After all, we own a miniscule stake of WalMart, therefore we are responsible. Or how about the guy who has a car accident, then sues everyone who has mutual funds that have investments in the car company. Hey, you own a small stake, so of course you're to blame for the faulty brakes or whatever caused the accident! Before rejoicing, you should think about the consequences if this actually goes through the court system.

November 19, 2008 09:25 am at 9:25 am |
  8. Jasen

Seriously, what's the point of indicting them now? they're going to get pardoned as soon as the charges are read. This is a conspiracy. The court system in Texas is saving these guys by charging them while Bush is still in office so that way the presidential pardons can save them.

November 19, 2008 09:27 am at 9:27 am |
  9. Bobby-Wightman-Cervantes

First, Willacy County is not on the Texas-Mexico Border. It is about a 50 minute drive.

I do not know if the indictments are bogus or not. But here are a few simple facts on Michael Cowen. His uncle works for State Senator Lucio Jr. His father is a Board Member of the Brownsville Navigation District. State Senator Lucio Jr. was paid consulting fees by an engineering firm to develop a bridge between the BND and Mexico. 21.4 million was spent. There is no bridge.- Nothing – zilch – nada.

The entire mess has been covered up by the BND Board and the DA of Cameron County. If Michael Cowen is going to discredit DA Guerra should he not have to tell the press his family's role in what the Texas Monthly magazine called "Sucio Lucio?"

November 19, 2008 09:27 am at 9:27 am |
  10. Bubba

Joe, that sounds about right to me. Anybody who voted to get us into this dumb war should be kicked to the curb, regardless of party. Throw them ALL out. But first, let's find out what they did in office. Remember, we spent seventy-six billion to investigate Bill Clinton's sex life. I'd spend that much to find out if Bush/Cheney caused 9-11, and they should be happy to be cleared of these accusations.

November 19, 2008 09:30 am at 9:30 am |
  11. Chicago GOP

Do you all realize that if we spend the next eight years focusing on what was done during the past eight years, we will never move forward. I know the liberal media loves to have something to sell, but we can never move forward without letting go of the past. As a republican, it has been difficult to watch my party shift to the far right over the past 8 years (I'm now considering myself closer to libertarian than republican), but we need to let go. The reputation of these figures is tarnished. Let's move on and progress to the change America needs. Nothing will ever happen with any sort of proceeding against the bush administration. I wouldn't be surprised to see Obama lay down a blanket pardon on the administration so he (and his administration) can move forward and take action to correct what has been done. This is what is called in the financial world as a sunk cost. It has already been occurred, so forget about it and move on.

November 19, 2008 09:30 am at 9:30 am |
  12. Michael

I would think twice about letting Vanguard handle my investments. I didn't know about this.

November 19, 2008 09:31 am at 9:31 am |
  13. Ian

What would Obama do?

November 19, 2008 09:33 am at 9:33 am |
  14. arc, Lugano CH

Cheney should be indicted for Treason in the United States and for War Crimes and inciting Genocide at The Hague. He's a traitor and a war criminal.

November 19, 2008 09:33 am at 9:33 am |
  15. Pete

I own Vanguard too, so I'm guilty. I dare him to come to my house to arrest me. I have a surprise for him if he shows up.

November 19, 2008 09:33 am at 9:33 am |
  16. Doug R.

Obama's Attorney General and the Justice Dept. will be prosecuting...Bush, Cheney, Rumsfeld, Rove, Gonzales, and others...after Jan. 20, 2009. They know it.

November 19, 2008 09:33 am at 9:33 am |
  17. sick n tired

This is good news but unfortunately nothing will happen! He has far too many powerful friends that will protect him! Which is very sad to say the least!

November 19, 2008 09:34 am at 9:34 am |
  18. Pete

I'm writing a book about the Bush administration trampling on the rights of US citizens. Please respond with specific examples of how your rights have been trampled, and I'll include them in my book. No generalities, I need specific examples.

November 19, 2008 09:35 am at 9:35 am |
  19. Praetorian, Fort Myers

Finally–justice may be served (at least some of it) for the citizens who have been manipulated and deceived by this man.

November 19, 2008 09:36 am at 9:36 am |
  20. Chris

Obama should put this to rest within the first week of his term by pardoning both Cheney and Gonzales. Although Cheney is a dispicable and evil person, it does the country no good seeing its former leaders in jail, especially when a significant portion of the population was complicit in the crimes.

However, full investigations are still necessary in order to bring any questionable and illegal activity of the current administration to light. Only then can we learn from the mistakes.

November 19, 2008 09:36 am at 9:36 am |
  21. Maggie from Virginia

I know everyone blame Bush and Cheney for the failures of the last eight years. I blame the American people for placing them in office. It was quite obvious that these men were devils. But, we are making up for it now by electing the right people this time. Thank God!

November 19, 2008 09:36 am at 9:36 am |
  22. Jason

I honestly couldn't care less how we interrogate terrorists. If your part of an organization that slams airplanes into buildings full of innocent people, or one that detonates bombs in schools or cafe's you don't deserve rights, or the same treatment as regular people. Good for Bush and Cheney for making a distinction that these terrorists aren't human and don't deserve to be treated as such.
    (no I am not being sarcastic)

November 19, 2008 09:38 am at 9:38 am |
  23. GA Independent

This brightened my day to see "Cheney" and "Indictment" in the headline... Wouldn't it be nice if Cheney was actually tried for his criminal behavior?

November 19, 2008 09:38 am at 9:38 am |
  24. Rolling eyes

What's the point you know he will be pardoned as Bush leaves office.

November 19, 2008 09:39 am at 9:39 am |
  25. Ellen M. Wolfe

I wish you posters would proof read your comments. Your misspellings/typos make you look ignorant. I don`t believe Cheney et al will be held accountable, and I also believe President Bush will pardon "poor" ex Governor Ryan before he leaves office. The law doesn`t work the same for the rich, the powerful as it does for the rest of us common folks but I don`t envy them. I`d rather be an average citizen and sleep well at night.

November 19, 2008 09:39 am at 9:39 am |