December 15th, 2008

Obamas, Bidens to arrive in Washington by train

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/12/15/art.getty.dcinaug.jpg caption=" Preparations are underway for the 2009 Presidential Inauguration."](CNN) - The 2009 Presidential Inaugural Committee announced Monday that President-elect Barack Obama will travel by train to the nation’s capitol on January 17 from Philadelphia, but will stop along the way to host events in Baltimore, Maryland and Wilmington, Delaware – home of Vice President-elect Joe Biden.  The Obama and Biden families will arrive in D.C. on Saturday.

"As part of the most open and accessible Inauguration in history, we hope to include as many Americans as possible who wish to participate, but can't be in Washington," said Emmett S. Beliveau, Executive Director of the 2009 Presidential Inaugural Committee. "These events will allow us to do that while honoring the rich history and tradition of previous inaugural journeys."

The cities of Philadelphia, Wilmington, and Baltimore are especially significant as part of the 2009 Inauguration theme, ‘Renewing America’s Promise.”  According to the committee, the promise was realized in Philadelphia and defended and commemorated by the National Anthem in Baltimore. Washington, D.C serves as a gathering ground for Americans to unite and renew the promise, the committee said.

1. No Hillary = No Obama

Oh Choo, Choo!

December 15, 2008 01:03 pm at 1:03 pm |
  2. Ray Fisher

This sounds similar to President Lincoln's inaugeration route and unfortunately his funeral route. President Obama does pack the hopes, dreams and energy of America everywhere he ventures. I wish him godspeed in all his endeavors!!!

December 15, 2008 01:03 pm at 1:03 pm |
  3. Betty the maid

I LOVE YOU PRESIDENT OBAMA

December 15, 2008 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  4. AJ

Oh brother. Isnt Obama's ego big enough now? Does he really need to keep feeding it?

December 15, 2008 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  5. Emily, DE

Awesome. I will be there to welcome them in Wilmington!

December 15, 2008 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  6. Chi Town

Is Emanuel with him?

Emanuel has refused to comment as to whether he is the un-named presidential adviser cited in the FBI affidavit filed in the Blagojevich case. "You're wasting your time," Emanuel told a Chicago Sun Times reporter yesterday. "I'm not going to say a word to you.

This just keeps getting better...

December 15, 2008 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |
  7. PK California

We truly will have a president for the people! So many wanted to see this historical event and he is making it possible for a lot to get up close. When he gave his winning speech outdoors so as many as possible could witness that great moment, he gave a clear picture that he was not going to be the same ole, same ole. This is another step to let us become part of the joy! Great idea! Wish I lived on the east coast. I'd be first in line when the train came through!!!!!

December 15, 2008 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |
  8. Anonymous

This is going to be so awesome!
    Thousands of well wishers lining the train tracks cheering them on will be incredible. I can hardly wait!!

December 15, 2008 01:12 pm at 1:12 pm |
  9. CHI TOWN

Boy-O-boy, I wish I could be there, front row and center, to see my guys. The is going to be one of the most exciting moments of my life-time. I love P & VP Elect – Obama/Biden, they are my heros.

December 15, 2008 01:20 pm at 1:20 pm |
  10. Tamika

Touchy, touchy. The blind Gov got no worse than anyone else would have. He is fair game even if he is disabled. He himself made his disability an issue by stating he thought other disabled people would be offended. Why shoud they? They live in this world with their disabilities. Making jokes is not the same thing as depriving them of their rights! If you use his disability as a crutch then so would every other nationality, denomination and persuasion. SNL would have no material at all. Some people happened to find it funny.

December 15, 2008 01:21 pm at 1:21 pm |
  11. tired of corporate politics

By train? Don't trains follow a specific route made of tracks. Does it strike anyone else as a huge security risk? I know he thinks he is the New Invinsible Messiah, but let's not push it OK? Tell me the future pres and vice pres won't be on the same train.

I don't agree with his corporate, mob style approach to politics but I don't want harm to come to him.

December 15, 2008 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  12. obama-mama

God Bless the President and VP elect and their family during their travel. Keep the evil devils away.....

December 15, 2008 01:23 pm at 1:23 pm |
  13. obama-mama

AJ is a jealous hater.....Get over it. Somebody loves you too.

December 15, 2008 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  14. karen

Please may God watch over them.

December 15, 2008 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  15. you know it

God, Please protect this man and his family. We don't need another JFK moment. Both young, fresh ideas, and innovated. He needs to protect himself better than JFK did. America's history is so....I can't even find the words. I guess God wants me to keep it to myself. May God have mercy on America and help us to love one another.

December 15, 2008 01:25 pm at 1:25 pm |
  16. J.P.

"most open and accessible Inauguration in history"

"Open and accessible" except of course for anyone seeking verification of the President-elect's birth certificate.

So much for the change of an Open and Transparent new Washington.

December 15, 2008 01:25 pm at 1:25 pm |
  17. He's special

At least he's not riding in on a white horse...

December 15, 2008 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  18. obama-mama

I think you're one article back Tamika......

December 15, 2008 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  19. Chi Town

Ohh... the tears of joy that will be shed... not since the Beatles have their been such a following...

Obama/Biden Rock Tour 2009... I hope the last show is in Joliet!
    Funny their tour promoters... Axelrod and Emanuel have been quiet lately! LOL... this is rich

December 15, 2008 01:27 pm at 1:27 pm |
  20. Tamika

What I really find humerous is the fact that Spitzer gave up his position as Gov because of infidelity to another man who admitted to repeated infidelity while in office. Why isn't anyone screaming about that? Probably because he is blind and black. Everyone is so afraid of sounding racist and discriminitory? This guy has it all. No bodys going to reason he has no right to be in office or at least not voice it to anyone either because of his disability or his race. It would leave them wide open to slurs – even if their was obvious cause.

December 15, 2008 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  21. bill

come on obama biden.caint wait till you throw the BUMS OUT THAT RESIDE NOW BUSH CHANEY have tried to ruin our country.but they caint ruin AMERICAN SPIRIT.YES WE CAN YES WE CAN.AND BY GOD WE WILL.GOOD BYE TU THOSE TWO SCUMBAGS. its not going to be easy but obama will be working every day to clean up .bush chaney mess. GOD BLESS MY AMERICA.

December 15, 2008 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  22. jaye

This is just incredible....
    The peoples president!

December 15, 2008 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |
  23. Brad

What hubris!

December 15, 2008 01:31 pm at 1:31 pm |
  24. WELCOME TO THE OBAMA SHOW!!!!!!!!!!!!

IF AMERICA ONLY KNEW WHAT THEY WERE DOING THIS WOULD NEVER HAPPEN.

ONCE OBAMA TAKES OVER IN JANUARY IT WILL BE TO LATE!!!!!!!!!!

December 15, 2008 01:32 pm at 1:32 pm |
  25. Voted for change in Texas

I plan to be waving them along in B-more!!!!!

December 15, 2008 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |