December 15th, 2008

Obamas, Bidens to arrive in Washington by train

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/12/15/art.getty.dcinaug.jpg caption=" Preparations are underway for the 2009 Presidential Inauguration."](CNN) - The 2009 Presidential Inaugural Committee announced Monday that President-elect Barack Obama will travel by train to the nation’s capitol on January 17 from Philadelphia, but will stop along the way to host events in Baltimore, Maryland and Wilmington, Delaware – home of Vice President-elect Joe Biden.  The Obama and Biden families will arrive in D.C. on Saturday.

"As part of the most open and accessible Inauguration in history, we hope to include as many Americans as possible who wish to participate, but can't be in Washington," said Emmett S. Beliveau, Executive Director of the 2009 Presidential Inaugural Committee. "These events will allow us to do that while honoring the rich history and tradition of previous inaugural journeys."

The cities of Philadelphia, Wilmington, and Baltimore are especially significant as part of the 2009 Inauguration theme, ‘Renewing America’s Promise.”  According to the committee, the promise was realized in Philadelphia and defended and commemorated by the National Anthem in Baltimore. Washington, D.C serves as a gathering ground for Americans to unite and renew the promise, the committee said.

1. Tamika

What is Obama doing? Sounds like he is setting himself up to be a martyr. He had better be more careful or Binden will be the one walking into the white house. I bet he really has his security men hopping. Wishing they were somewhere else because of all the pot shots Obama is leaving himself open to. Even though they have to take the bullet for him doesn't mean they want to die.

December 15, 2008 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |
  2. NY republican

To Ray Fisher – It does sound similar to President Lincoln's route, the difference – Lincoln was sneeking into Washington in disguise.

December 15, 2008 01:34 pm at 1:34 pm |
  3. Jackie in Dallas

I think some of the comments made so far are interesting. Some not very nice, but interesting. Travel by train is very "traditional" for President elects, and I think it does add a spot of tradition to a very modern President. It could have been nice during the Election, too; we haven't seen "whistle stop" politicking in a while.

AJ, if you won the Presidency in a history-making election, and carried the hopes and dreams of millions of people - as well as their expectations and the knowledge if you mess up, your name is dirt - do really think that your ego would swell? I think President Elect Obama has shown a commendable restraint and lack of pretension, as well as a rather becoming modesty. HE"S not feeding his ego, the people that elected him are expressing their excitement. Your guy (whoever he/she was) lost. Get over it. Join the country in trying to dig our way out of the septic tank that President Bush has flushed us into.

December 15, 2008 01:34 pm at 1:34 pm |
  4. Everything in Moderation

A nation in a depression, yet those in Washington D.C. still spending. Not the change I expected.

December 15, 2008 01:34 pm at 1:34 pm |
  5. shughes7@hotmail.com

It's funny how Vice President Cheney (secret undisclosed location) and President (Shoe duck'n) Bush always travel in secret. So that those that don't wish them well don't have access to their schedule and routes. You don't even know their going to a place until they get there. (ie Bagdad)

But, now you're publishing Obama's every move including date/day/time/location of travel. Why? I sure hope you're providing the kind of protection that a president needs when you advertise his future travel route in National venues.

You DO know there are a few nuts out there that mean him harm.

As for me, I'm just praying God's traveling graces and mercies over your every move Mr. President Obama.

God bless you.
    Obama08

December 15, 2008 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  6. Tamika

Sounds a little like Kennedys train ride shortly before he was shot.

December 15, 2008 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  7. That Other Jerry

Seeing as how the Queen of England is in no hurry to vacate her throne, she could probably lend Obama that crystal and gold coronation coach of hers. Then he could make a REALLY big entrance!

December 15, 2008 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  8. Peggy - TX

So what if Emanuel refused to comment? Would you expect otherwise when there is an FBI investigation going on and anyone who did talk to Mlogojevich may be a material witness. ChiTown (Ealier comments) Go turn the channel to soaps for the next 8 years, becasue your thirst for dirt will not be satisifed by Obama's white house and you have no ethics yourself for poluting the blogosphere with your imangings.

December 15, 2008 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  9. WELCOME TO THE OBAMA SHOW!!!!!!!!!!!!

IN CASE YOU DIDN'T KNOW IT CHINA PRETTY MUCH OWNS THE US AND NOW WE ARE PUTTING IN A SOCIALIZED PRESIDENT!!!!!!!

WOW!!!!!!!

LIFE AS WE KNOW IT WILL BE CHANGING WITHIN THE NEXT FEW YEARS.

THANK YOU OBAMA FANS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

December 15, 2008 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  10. Arkansas Undertaker

I think that it is a very dangerous thing to be announcing the president elect's whereabouts before during and after the inauguration.

there are still a lot of nutts out there that are praying that harm comes to him and his family because they cant accept change!!!

December 15, 2008 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  11. Ilona Hussein Proud Canadian

FOLKS, I HAVE TO TELL YOU..................THIS IS GOING TO
    BE AWESOME...................JUST THINKING ABOUT IT, GIVES
    ME THE SHIVERS...........

I only wish that I could be there, but since I can't, YOU CAN
    COUNT ON ME BEING GLUED TO THE TELEVISION SCREEN,
    (and no one better try to change channels on me! not even my
    husband). I JUST HOPE THAT IT WILL BE WELL TELEVISED!

But now I have to ask a favour of ALL AMERICANS WHO
    BELIEVE IN, AND SUPPORT YOUR PRESIDENT AND VICE PRESIDENT ELECT, TOGETHER WITH THEIR FAMILIES...
    PLEASE SAY A SMALL PRAYER, FOR THEIR SAFETY AND
    SECURITY.

YES YOU DID! YES YOU DID! YES YOU DID!

YES YOU CAN! YES YOU CAN! YES YOU CAN!

CONGRATULATION ON MAKING HISTORY FOLKS!

December 15, 2008 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  12. Ken in NC

Way ta go Mr. Presss.

December 15, 2008 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  13. Carli

Tamika, I think your on the wrong page.

December 15, 2008 01:46 pm at 1:46 pm |
  14. Precious Coker, NY

Cool, but they should take security much more serious!!!!!!

December 15, 2008 01:46 pm at 1:46 pm |
  15. Meh

Chi Town> First of all, not topical. Second of all, he can't comment; it's an ongoing investigation? Keep trying to spin things, dude. It's not going to work.

On topic: I think it's a lovely thing to do. Not egotisical at all. A LOT of people want to be part of this...it only makes sense to try to accommodate them. Go O!

December 15, 2008 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  16. Laverne

The way so many forces are coming against this historical event, I know it will be GRAND EVENT! Whether you want to admit it or not, there is something extra special about this inauguration. Obama have taken a lot of hits about him being "the one" and the "messiah". He certainly is not the latter, but there is something "special" about Barack Obama. I can't really explain it, but I know I am not the only one who recognizes it. God Bless the Obamas and the Bidens!

December 15, 2008 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |
  17. Ms. B in California

I wish that the train would run through California first.

December 15, 2008 01:49 pm at 1:49 pm |
  18. Ratgurl

I hope Secret Service is prepared for the trip. I would've rather read about the train ride after the fact, knowing that they made it safely to their destination.

December 15, 2008 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  19. A New Day Is Dawning!

I will be in Wilmington, Delaware to wish them well!

December 15, 2008 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  20. Q

To Chi Town...

The same presendial advisor who was not actually on the phone....was only discussed as some who would not 'play ball' and only give appreciation for seating VJarrett?

The same convo where the Gov Blago said 'Eff him' regarding Obama?

I am so sick of you people forcing the issue on this. YOu ever thought that maybe, just maybe, RE went to the feds and is a part of the investigation....and that's why he can't say anything???

I guess you will accuse him of being a 'snitch' if he did go to the feds.

PEBO and his team just can't catch a break with some people.

Are you that afraid of a Black Prez??? I mean, non 100% white Prez????

December 15, 2008 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |
  21. Tom in Delaware

The Wilmington train station is so small there won't be room for anyone other than the Sercret Service Agents.

December 15, 2008 01:58 pm at 1:58 pm |
  22. Harvey

Another Gimmick by Obama...

It's all about sales hype in the end, isn't it? Pls spare us from philosophical messages, and get down to running the country for god's sake.

Harvey

December 15, 2008 01:59 pm at 1:59 pm |
  23. Loyal Democrat in MD

Hope I can be there....I'd love to be a part of this exciting time! (Unfortunately reminds me of 1968 when I was standing there & met Bobby Kennedy's funeral train).
    GOD BLESS & KEEP PRESIDENT OBAMA!!

December 15, 2008 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  24. Harriet T.

I guess this is in tribute to the Underground Railroad?

December 15, 2008 02:02 pm at 2:02 pm |
  25. action

You really care about the economy or you care your name the most?

December 15, 2008 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |