December 15th, 2008

Obamas, Bidens to arrive in Washington by train

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/12/15/art.getty.dcinaug.jpg caption=" Preparations are underway for the 2009 Presidential Inauguration."](CNN) - The 2009 Presidential Inaugural Committee announced Monday that President-elect Barack Obama will travel by train to the nation’s capitol on January 17 from Philadelphia, but will stop along the way to host events in Baltimore, Maryland and Wilmington, Delaware – home of Vice President-elect Joe Biden.  The Obama and Biden families will arrive in D.C. on Saturday.

"As part of the most open and accessible Inauguration in history, we hope to include as many Americans as possible who wish to participate, but can't be in Washington," said Emmett S. Beliveau, Executive Director of the 2009 Presidential Inaugural Committee. "These events will allow us to do that while honoring the rich history and tradition of previous inaugural journeys."

The cities of Philadelphia, Wilmington, and Baltimore are especially significant as part of the 2009 Inauguration theme, ‘Renewing America’s Promise.”  According to the committee, the promise was realized in Philadelphia and defended and commemorated by the National Anthem in Baltimore. Washington, D.C serves as a gathering ground for Americans to unite and renew the promise, the committee said.

1. Mari

@ WELCOME TO THE OBAMA SHOW........ YOU ARE SICK, GET SOME HELP!

GODSPEED PRESIDENT OBAMA, YOU WILL NEED ALL OUR PRAYERS TO FIX THE........BUSH DISASTERS!

HOPE TRUMPS HATE, FEAR & LIES!

December 15, 2008 02:47 pm at 2:47 pm |
  2. Faith, CA

What about California. We gave a lot of money and we were very loyal supporters. Can't Barack fly out here and especially come to Orange County? We really love him.

December 15, 2008 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |
  3. Lauren the Designer

Great! I'm so excited he'll be in my city!
    To the rest of you...get over yourselves. Bitterness doesn't look good on anyone.

December 15, 2008 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |
  4. Maggie from Virginia

Laverne, I also have that feeling. Barack's name mean blessed. No weapon formed against him shall prosper.

December 15, 2008 02:53 pm at 2:53 pm |
  5. Noel

I think it's great Obama is trying to make as much people as he possibly can. I think, however, he should start a nation-wide participation inauguration. There, people, from all 50 states, will see Obama(Obama could go by plane to Alaska and Hawaii). But I'm proud of Obama for doing this. He rocks!

December 15, 2008 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |
  6. BS not Maverick

Train kep-a-rollin-all-night long!

December 15, 2008 02:56 pm at 2:56 pm |
  7. mike

u WILL see when he is already in office nothing different with his CRONY "ROD"

December 15, 2008 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  8. Dianne

Woot!!! Woot!!!

All aboard for 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue!

All aboard the O-TRAIN the power of HOPE!

December 15, 2008 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  9. Marcel

The tradition is that Messiah arrived by riding a donkey....how come HE is not doing that?
    That wii give opportunities to all His brain washed Obama fans to touch HIM.

December 15, 2008 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  10. Chi Town

Q

I'm just quoting the Chicago papers... I find it interesting... but I've no doubt that it will all come out once Blago, Harris or Rezko cut a deal... especially Tony knowing he doesn't have a governor in his pocket now... those multiple years in prison areen't looking so good. I wouldn't have thought anything of it had Axlerod not recanted on his statement about indepth discussion with the Governor... makes you wonder... or maybe not if you simply don't want the answer. I suppose scooter libby never bothered you either.

December 15, 2008 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  11. Maggie from Virginia

Note to the haters: You are being monitored.

December 15, 2008 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |
  12. Derek Salem, MA

I do indeed remember thinking the skit was close to the edge...but I have to admit to laughing as hard as I ever have at anything I have ever seen on network TV. I applaud the writers for taking a chance on something that might have scared lesser writers off.

December 15, 2008 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  13. Matt

@ Ken and Welcome to the Obama Show:

Obama is going to be president and he is going to do a better job than any of your precious neocon right-wing nuts could do...and have done. Grow up, suck it up and STFU.

December 15, 2008 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  14. thanks, but no thanks

Wellcome to the Obama show!!!! Keep on spewing your hate. l bet like most of today's Republicans, you are blaming the economy down spiral on Obama, although he is not in the office yet. l bet after a year you will be an angry moron, who never did something constructive in his life, just blame other people for his failures. Oh, that just reminded me the current president,

Get a life you moron.....

December 15, 2008 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |
  15. Angela

But I'll BET all of you that no shoes will be thrown at Obama and Biden. I'll bet you!

[P.S., was that shoe throwing the funniest thing ever on TV???!!! I'm still laughing!!!!!! Iraqis are hilarious!!!!]

December 15, 2008 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  16. Matt

@ Harvey

You'd complain no matter what he did to get there. If he was taking a plane, he'd have probably needed to take it to himself or at least load it with secret service...you'd have complained that it was selfish or too expensive or something. if he walked you'd have tried to say something nonsensensical like "who does he think he is, Ghandi walking to the sea?" It's time for you infantile neocons to move past the denial stage so you can work your way towards acceptance and let the healing can begin. th elonger you act like this, the more damage you do to the GOP and your chances of having any success in the 2010 interim elections. You're making your situation worse.

December 15, 2008 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  17. Sandra

Bush leaves the country in one big mess and some of you find fault with our President elect.Where are Cheney and Bush when the nation needs them to try to right the wrongs they've caused?Give Obama a chance..look back on the last 8 years..6 with a Republican majority and see the mess the've made of everything.I know that you blame all the problems on Clinton but if the present administration was so smart,they had years to change it. all.Admit to yourselves that they were looking out for themselves and big business..try to be fair and judge Obama after his first 4 years.if he can't sort out the mess he's been left the entire country will go down with him...including the folks that wish him hard and failure.

December 15, 2008 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  18. FreeNLovIt

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit – Emerson

You must be the change you wish to see in the world – Mohandas Gandhi

This very moment is a seed from which the flowers of tomorrow's happiness grow – Margaret Lindsey

Freedom is not the right to do what we want, but what we ough- Abe Lincoln

Life is the art of drawing without an eraser -John W Gardner

December 15, 2008 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  19. FreeNLovIt

To Tamika

The Gov of NY shouldnt hold any grudges. All politicians are the butt of the jokes. Sometimes I dont know how our Prez go about running their business, without being offended. I'm glad our Prez have big hearts. It's great to be an American.

December 15, 2008 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  20. Audrey

Re: "Angela's" comment: You are truly un-American if you believe it amusing for the President of the United States of American to have shoes thrown at him. I don't care your political affiliation or position on Pres. Bush, but it is unacceptable for our President to be disrespected in this way. You should be ashamed!

December 15, 2008 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  21. Answer to Marcel's question

Marcel December 15th, 2008 3:02 pm ET

The tradition is that Messiah arrived by riding a donkey….how come HE is not doing that?

Answer: Because you refuse to make yourself available.

December 15, 2008 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  22. latina for Obama

God be with Obama/Biden and their family on this great historic
    day.

Angela, yeah to that, Ive been laughing all day about it, I needed
    some good humor. As much as I dislike the Prez, I have
    to give it to him on his awsome reflexes, I just wish he
    would move that fast on our political issues. LOL!!

December 15, 2008 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  23. NYDoc

Couple comments, those of you saying that this train ride is in excess (at a time when the economy is in peril), do you realize that the train from Philly to DC is the cheapest way to travel? It is also energy effecient (so less polution on the environment). I take it all the time, it's a great idea and now my mother in Philly can witness history as well.

One more comment: Harriet T, your comment about the underground railroad is uncalled for. Please take your burning cross and white sheet and leave this country so us decent minded Americans can live in peace.

December 15, 2008 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  24. Scott NYC Independent

@Audrey – the fact is many of us never consider Bush a real president; the fact is he never once won the popular vote; the fact is many of us agree with the insult that the throwing of shoes means. It means you are no longer welcome, it means we don't want to listen to anything else you have to say and it means GET OUT.

I am 62 million other Americans are saying the same thing to Bush and all his croonies – GET OUT, don't do anything more just leave.

December 15, 2008 03:30 pm at 3:30 pm |
  25. Robert of Long Island

Obama! will be a remarkable president.

Americans have spoken.