December 23rd, 2008
11:05 AM ET
14 years ago

CNN Poll: Nine out of 10 say economy's poor

[cnn-photo-caption image= caption="93 percent of those questioned in a national poll say economic conditions are poor."]
WASHINGTON (CNN) - A new national poll indicates that more than nine out of ten of Americans think that economic conditions in the country are poor, with the economy remaining far and away the nation's top concern.

In a CNN-Opinion Research Corporation survey released Tuesday, 93 percent of those questioned say economic conditions are poor, with the remaining 7 percent saying the economy is in good shape.

The poll also suggests that 75 percent feel the economy is the most important issue facing the country today, with health care a distant second at 7 percent, and the war in Iraq, terrorism, and immigration each at 6 percent.

Two out of three questioned in the survey say economic conditions are very poor right now.

"That's up 12 points from last month and three times higher than last December, when the current recession began," says CNN Polling Director Keating Holland.

The good news, he adds, is that a majority of Americans say that the economy will be in good shape a year from now. "That's important, because it is unlikely that any economic stimulus or recovery plan will have a lasting effect unless there is some underlying optimism about the economy," says Holland.

"The bad news is that optimism has shrunk since November."

The CNN/Opinion Research Corp. poll was conducted Friday through Sunday, with 1,013 adult Americans questioned by telephone. The survey's sampling error is plus or minus 3 percentage points

Filed under: CNN poll • Economy
soundoff (133 Responses)
  1. s

    You think.... and we need a poll for this, because...???

    December 23, 2008 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  2. Brian from Fort Mill, SC

    Jan December 23rd, 2008 2:36 pm ET

    I see the college dummies and obama lovers are backÔÇôre: the several hundred mean-spirited comments about our first woman president! I am very happy to see that they are still threatened by her. Their Messiah is busy in Hawaii spending the $10.00 donations that they sent him. He seems to be more concerned with his "abs" than the state of the nation.The smoothest salesman of all time!
    You can make this all go away by doing the following:

    Click your heels three times and repeat, "Crack is whack!"
    When you wake up, you'll be in Canada!

    December 23, 2008 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |
  3. Island girl

    What's your problem Jan? Will you be home for the holidays? If yes, then Obama is entitled to do the same.

    December 23, 2008 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  4. Mike O'Brien

    First time in my life.., I may 'not' soon be able to pay my bills. I am 62 years old. My 401k, mutual funds and indiviual stocks have 'all' lost money over the last six months. Thank you.., President George W. Bush and wall street. Not a very good christmas or year.., or several more years. President George W. Bush.., please, rent a large U-Haul truck, pack and move (drive) to Dallas, Houston or Crawford, Texas. The sooner the better. President-elect Barack Obama and your team.., I wish you the best. Barack.., you may have the 'worst' job in the world.., trying to save the world. Best of luck.. Mike in Montana

    December 23, 2008 03:51 pm at 3:51 pm |
  5. yew guys

    we are the peasants and they are the kings. It's just that simple!!! If you guys want to know how the egyptian dynasties and the roman empire fell was because of these types of problems. Everyone got tired of being told what to do while the wealthy prfited off of us. Peasants finally go tired of the same kind of politics that to this day our own politcs have been derived from. IT WAS ONE BIG MUTINY!!! Then after all the kingdoms fell the peasants dispersed to different parts of the globe to start over. ONLY NOW, WE THE PEASANTS, HAVE SEMI AUTOMIC AND FULLY AUTOMATIC WEAPONS to bring to the table. The only way this is going to get fixed is if we take care of the problem our selves people. THERE IS MORE OF US THEN THEM!!!!!!!!!

    December 23, 2008 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |


    December 23, 2008 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  7. Michael - California

    Let me guess who those 7% are:

    -John McCain
    -Steve Forbes
    -Bill Gates
    -Sarah Palin
    -Donald Trump
    -McCain supporters
    -George Bush
    -Dick Cheney (his name really does suit him)

    December 24, 2008 05:41 am at 5:41 am |
  8. Michael - California

    Continued: (got cut off)

    -Fox News
    -Ann Coulter
    -Joe the Plumber
    -Scooter Libby
    -Norm Coleman
    -Michelle Bachmann
    -Bill o' Reilly
    -Ted Stevens
    -CEO's of GM, Ford and Chrysler

    December 24, 2008 05:51 am at 5:51 am |
1 2 3 4 5 6