December 23rd, 2008

Palin's biggest campaign regret: not enough media interviews

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/11/06/art.palin07.gi.jpg caption="Spending on Palin's clothes, makeup and hair made headlines during the campaign."](CNN) - Former Republican vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin’s biggest mistake of the presidential campaign: not enough time with the media, the Alaska governor said in an interview published Monday.

“The biggest mistake made was that I could have called more shots on this: the opportunities that were not seized to speak to more Americans via media,” she told Human Events.

“I was not allowed to do very many interviews, and the interviews that I did were not necessarily those I would have chosen. But I was so thankful to have the opportunity to run with John McCain that I was not going to argue with the strategy decisions that some of his people were making regarding the media contacts.

“But if I would have been in charge, I would have wanted to speak to more reporters because that’s how you get your message out to the electorate.

Palin also said she was uncomfortable leaving the campaign’s management to people she did not know well. “I was in a campaign in which I did not know the people individually running the campaign. So I had to put my life, my career, my family, and my reputation in their hands. That’s kind of a scary thing to do when you don’t know the people you are working with,” said the Alaska governor.

Palin has been the target of tough criticism, much of it anonymous, from senior McCain aides since the end of the campaign.

Filed under: Popular Posts • Sarah Palin
  1. M. Palin Moose

Anyone starting to think that McCain picked her to intentionally throw the election?

December 23, 2008 07:44 am at 7:44 am |
  2. Sharon Kitchen

The," I can see Russia from my back door" and "I read all of them",
    barracuda wanted more interviews? Realy?
    Oh please.
    Stay in Alaska.

December 23, 2008 07:44 am at 7:44 am |
  3. Doug

She is a legend in her own mind.

December 23, 2008 07:48 am at 7:48 am |
  4. Steve

SHUT UP DUMMY!!!! ENOUGH!!! GO BACK TO ALASKA!!!!

December 23, 2008 07:48 am at 7:48 am |
  5. Scully

Interesting.

Interesting how her biggest regret was not being completely unprepared and unqualified for the position.

December 23, 2008 07:48 am at 7:48 am |
  6. Laura

Well, she sure did such a great job with the interviews she did during the campaign, didn't she?! When will this woman go away?

December 23, 2008 07:49 am at 7:49 am |
  7. Duffy

Can this woman please just go away...and can CNN stop reporting about her. The campaign is long over, why is she still relevant?

December 23, 2008 07:49 am at 7:49 am |
  8. Palin Fan

Yeah rite.. We already got to know enough of her from whatever little contact she had with the media. She can be awarded with the title of "The dumbest most stupid politician of America" she can even beat George W Bush in her foolishness.

December 23, 2008 07:49 am at 7:49 am |
  9. R.H.

They we're just afraid she would say something stupid!
    I think they knew what they we're doing!!

December 23, 2008 07:49 am at 7:49 am |
  10. Joyce E Neal, Antioch, TN

Will someone please tell Gov Palin that she lost and to just move on. She is not the 2012 go-to person, she lost. She set back the women's movement by at least 50 years. Maybe she should realize that "good looks" don't always get you want you want. Also, could CNN find something else to report on. She LOST!!!

December 23, 2008 07:50 am at 7:50 am |
  11. greg

I don't care what she should have done, she was not ready to be VP. Big mistake by McCain. Some of the answers she gave in some of her interviews were just laughable.

December 23, 2008 07:51 am at 7:51 am |
  12. reggie

Gov Palin will be back and in charge of her own campaign. Then, she will shine even more than she did as Sen McCain's running mate. She has a very bright future. This year would have been virtually impossible for any republican to win the presidency. But, 2012 will be much different. With the dems in control of all three branches of gov't, they will have no one to blame this time around.

December 23, 2008 07:51 am at 7:51 am |
  13. Mark

If she had spoken to the media more, the campaign for McCain would have ended much earlier than it did.
    So I wish she had !!

December 23, 2008 07:52 am at 7:52 am |
  14. Robin

Yeah...right! More opportunities to show the America, and the rest of the world, her empty skull.

December 23, 2008 07:54 am at 7:54 am |
  15. MKM

Yeah, we're all bummed you didn't do more interviews either. The ones you did were so entertaining!

December 23, 2008 07:55 am at 7:55 am |
  16. Sarah---you get a re-do in 2012--

Obama will fail to revive the economy and his "woos" foreign policy will embolden Al Qaeda plus he's going to dump Israel in favor of the Palestinians-so you'll have a big chance in 12'-

Start getting it together–this time with a better team-

December 23, 2008 07:55 am at 7:55 am |
  17. The Bu

Did she NOT get the memo??? Remember the Katie Couric interview? How bout the Charlie Gibson interview? Oh, okay, she did good with Sean Hannity, right? Okay, so maybe she should have exclusively done interviews with FOX News folks and not ABC, NBC, CBS, or CNN. That's what got her! Oh, wait! That's right! She didn't like the questions that Couric asked her, that's why she just, I guess, brushed them off. Foreign Policy Experience: "I can see Russia from my state." Bush Doctorine: "Do you mean his world view, Charlie?" World Events/Affairs: "I read all the newspapers." Get a grip, Madame Governor. Go back to the beautiful state of Alaska and worry about how you're going to fix your upcoming budget crisis since you made your living off of oil prices which are now dipping to near record lows. Somebody send in Kaye Bailey-Hutchinson or Carly Fiora.

December 23, 2008 07:58 am at 7:58 am |
  18. Jessica

No Sarah, your biggest regret should be accepting McCain's offer to run with him knowing you knew very little about the war, the economy, foreign policy, etc. No one benefitted from your candidacy except Saturday Night Live with "through the roof" ratings.

December 23, 2008 07:59 am at 7:59 am |
  19. JFK

I think you had too many interviews already Gov Palin. Thats the problem!

December 23, 2008 08:00 am at 8:00 am |
  20. Lawls

More air time? Did she really say that? The few interviews she did do just showed how unqualified and unprepared she was. How much air time do you need before you realize you have failed.

December 23, 2008 08:00 am at 8:00 am |
  21. Flabergasted

I don't believe this woman..."But if I would have been in charge, I would have wanted to speak to more reporters because that's how you get your message out to the electorate." What message? The few interviews she did have only served to show her inexperience and lack of knowledge.

To consider herself a politician goes beyond the realm of sound reasoning. Evidently the only people she is capable of leading is the ones that live in the state of Alaska and the Republicans that choose to think they are the only "True Americans."

Sarah Palin is a media attention seeking joke that is delusional about her own self worth!

December 23, 2008 08:01 am at 8:01 am |
  22. leslie

sarah sarah sarah.......... the lights are on and no one is home..... the elevator goes up but does not come down...........

December 23, 2008 08:01 am at 8:01 am |
  23. WIlly Brown

Maybe sitting down with Katie Syrup was a bad move too. Katie is a left wing hack.

December 23, 2008 08:02 am at 8:02 am |
  24. Page

Palin's complete ignorance of national issues was obvious every time she spoke. More time with the media?

December 23, 2008 08:02 am at 8:02 am |
  25. Grimm

With all due respect Governor Palin, you don't really mean that. Your interview with Katie Couric and McCain's "revisiting" of said interview to defend you won't soon be forgotten. I'm sure you're a wonderful person, but come on... really?

December 23, 2008 08:02 am at 8:02 am |