December 23rd, 2008

Palin's biggest campaign regret: not enough media interviews

Spending on Palin's clothes, makeup and hair made headlines during the campaign.

(CNN) - Former Republican vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin’s biggest mistake of the presidential campaign: not enough time with the media, the Alaska governor said in an interview published Monday.

“The biggest mistake made was that I could have called more shots on this: the opportunities that were not seized to speak to more Americans via media,” she told Human Events.

“I was not allowed to do very many interviews, and the interviews that I did were not necessarily those I would have chosen. But I was so thankful to have the opportunity to run with John McCain that I was not going to argue with the strategy decisions that some of his people were making regarding the media contacts.

“But if I would have been in charge, I would have wanted to speak to more reporters because that’s how you get your message out to the electorate.

Palin also said she was uncomfortable leaving the campaign’s management to people she did not know well. “I was in a campaign in which I did not know the people individually running the campaign. So I had to put my life, my career, my family, and my reputation in their hands. That’s kind of a scary thing to do when you don’t know the people you are working with,” said the Alaska governor.

Palin has been the target of tough criticism, much of it anonymous, from senior McCain aides since the end of the campaign.

Filed under: Popular Posts • Sarah Palin
  1. shell

I glad it over, this woman was a mistake from day one. If this is the best the GOP has, Scoopy Doo can be VP

December 23, 2008 08:14 am at 8:14 am |
  2. Duffy

To Matt, I say AMEN brother, AMEN! There are not enough people in the country who really understand what Democracy stands for or what this country stands for. It is sad to see that we are a nation so totally divided and there are not enough people in the center who are educated enough and free thinking to formulate an insightful thought or idea that isn't thrown at them by the FAR RIGHT or FAR LEFT media. There is no bipartisan or unbiased media anymore, few have tried, but all media outlets realize that there aren't enough ratings if we dont incite people with hate and fear mongering. So many have tried, but all have failed!

December 23, 2008 08:14 am at 8:14 am |
  3. George the Unemployed

To the republican party:
    I know it will probably take a commission and 2 years to figure out that you lost the lost the presidential election because you had no policy. We kept hearing about McCain's Plan, but never saw it. It's too easy to blame Sarah Palin for losing because you were looking for someone to attack the Democrats and take the focus off of your poor, disorganized, 1980's message. If you need any more guidance in your search for a message, I'm available anytime. Common sense will go a long way. Your attacks on your opponents and mimeographed speeches should be in the Smithsonian.

December 23, 2008 08:14 am at 8:14 am |
  4. Cindy Sue

Not sure if more media contact would have helped. I agree somewhat on her comment about those running the McCain-Palin campaign. It appeared to me as though they advised both candidates to keep hammering on the most divisive topics, using the most divisive language, and they didn't understand that most Americans had had enough of divisive politics. I felt strongly that there was good in both candidates' (McCain & Obama) platforms, that they basically wanted to remove some of the tarnish from our country's image, but in the end I could not make myself pull a lever for a party that was out of touch. Sen. McCain is an admirable, intelligent, and strong man, and I can't understand why he didn't wrest control of his destiny from the hands of those who seemed bent on subverting him.

December 23, 2008 08:15 am at 8:15 am |
  5. Mr. Bubba Six Pack

It wasn't your fault, Sarah. If everything was up to you, you would have won. You are a breast of fresh air in DC.

Next time.

December 23, 2008 08:15 am at 8:15 am |
  6. WhatTheHeck!!

Ok, Sarah it has been 14 minutes and :59 seconds, Time to lay down now honey and take a long nap. Now tell the "By golly Joe Gotcha media" you'll play with them tomorrow.

December 23, 2008 08:16 am at 8:16 am |
  7. robert lucas

i really don't understand peoples affection towards former vice presidential candidate Palin; i mean she lost did she not? not to mention her horrible media appearances, her highly negative attacks against president elect Obama, and her general lack of Knowledge about the office she was running for. Why do Americans still care about what this woman does, and why when i click on a story about Obama wanting to use the Lincoln bible does her face pop up first with some story about her regrets about not using the media enough.
    Ill tell you why she didn't use the media; its because of one interview in particular KATIE COURIK (sp?) she was horrendous, just because there's some republicans out there who don't want to accept the fact that Obama was elected we still give this woman her two cents on everything. THE LAST THING I WANT TO HEAR ABOUT IS GOVERNOR PALIN. how about stories covering this nations troubles economically, socially, or our STILL HEAVY DEPENDENCE ON FOREIGN OIL. I mean come on these are far more important, people need to be opened up to the idea that gas is a resource that will run out, and unless we find a way to operate out vehicles and produce our goods without Oil and Petroleum products we are screwed. So lets stop worrying about the looser of an election and start worrying about how we as Americans can do our part to help fix this economy, and get our country off the addiction of foreign oil. I want to know what else i as a 19 year old American can do to secure my future. to make sure i have something to retire with, to know that when i get married i will be able to raise a family without going bankrupt or having to worry about my child(rens) education. I want to know about how my fellow marines and our soldiers, sailors, and airman are doing in the fight in Afghanistan and Iraq, how they are rebuilding Iraq and preparing to withdraw from Iraq, Maybe i speak solely for myself, which in any case is unfortunate. but this is what i personally think should be taking up your server space, not stories about Governor Palins failed attempt to be the vice president, or, GOD FORBID THAT SHE DOES, her run for office in 2012.

December 23, 2008 08:16 am at 8:16 am |
  8. Steve, Jacksonville, Fl

She didn't know them. They didn't know her. Bad decision on both sides but, obviously, Palin was the winner here. The loser? The American people.

December 23, 2008 08:17 am at 8:17 am |
  9. Peggy

The reason is, that you Sarah Palin, was not ready and still is not.
    Yes, you could speak brilliantly from a piece of paper, but to get your own words out of your head, is was a NO, NO.

December 23, 2008 08:17 am at 8:17 am |
  10. william

She's an idiot.

December 23, 2008 08:17 am at 8:17 am |
  11. keith a dewey

Being a liberal Democrat I hope the Republicans run Palin either in '12 or '16 for president. I am affraid she might have sunk herself already but I have hopes.

If she had done more interviews any hope of her returning would have been wiped out. So, I am glad she did not do more.

December 23, 2008 08:18 am at 8:18 am |
  12. John in Ohio

Second biggest regret: Agreeing to be McCain's running mate.

December 23, 2008 08:18 am at 8:18 am |
  13. Once you vote Black

Home Girl you were used. Nobody wanted to hear from you. You played well to the base. But your base does not watch interviews. You have a BA in Communications and you can't talk. I am for looking for open doors, but you have to do the hard work to prepare before hand. If you think like you talk then you are a ninny. My only hope is that you get a lot more interviews when you run for POTUS in the next election. And stop paling around with drug users.

December 23, 2008 08:19 am at 8:19 am |
  14. Tye

Once again I think all of America wishes that this woman would just go away. A Vice Presidential candidate does not call the shots especially one as inexperienced as her. Your 15 minutes of fame are over go tend to your burnt church

December 23, 2008 08:21 am at 8:21 am |
  15. Larry from TN

I hope she runs for President in 2012. I'd like to see her calling her own shots instead of a bunch of yahoos trying to control her. Man she sure looks good for a 40+ year old lady who has 5 kids, dang I wish my old lady had kept herself up some.

December 23, 2008 08:21 am at 8:21 am |
  16. Frank

Why are we still talking about her. We should be focusing on the President Elect and his transition and the problems created by the last 8 years of Republican policy and attitude "The World First and America LAST".

December 23, 2008 08:23 am at 8:23 am |
  17. Ohio lady knows

The idea that Sarah Palin would have saved the campaign with more interviews and having more control over the McCain campaign shows how delusional she is. Which interviewers would Sarah have chosen? If she's not smart enough to handle Katie Couric and Charlie Gibson, who would she have chosen? Just Rush Limbaugh, and other Fox journalists? No women journalists??? There is a reason Tina Fey's parodies took off so well....because they were so close to the truth! Here's Proverbs 6:2 for Sarah: "Thou art snared with the words of thy mouth, thou art taken with the words of thy mouth." The more Sarah spoke, the more she revealed about her true character. Enough about her! Let's move on to some Republican with enough education and who lives what they preach.
    And please, Republicans....not Palin or another Bush! Spare us!
    Surely the entire U.S. has someone other than these two!!

December 23, 2008 08:23 am at 8:23 am |
  18. John in Ohio

Anytime an accomplished comedienne like Tina Fey decides that your verbatim comments cannot possibly be improved on by a comedic writer, you are a joke.

More interviews would have helped SNL and Comedy Central, but they would not have won you any more votes.

December 23, 2008 08:23 am at 8:23 am |
  19. LadyinATL

Could of, would of, should of...........I still think she would have been a disaster.

December 23, 2008 08:25 am at 8:25 am |
  20. Central Scruitinizer

Yes, more interviews would have improved your image. LOL . The rest of the world breathed a collective sigh when the Repugs lost the election. How can anyone watch her interviews and not wonder what she is trying to really say. Did she watch her own interviews? Wanting to know what magazines she reads is "gotcha" journalism? And MILLIONS of dolts want her to be president? Do you repugs really think she could deal with the economic problems we have now? Its amazing how you idolize such monumental stupidity. I'd vote for Trig before Sarah.

December 23, 2008 08:25 am at 8:25 am |
  21. carol

I completely agree with her she should have done more interviews but I don't think she would have made herself look any better as she did not come across as smart in the ones she did.
    I still don't think she gets it yet that she was only used by McCain for his political gain and it backfired on him.
    I don't like Sarah Palin as a politician at all but I do feel she was used and that was not right.

December 23, 2008 08:25 am at 8:25 am |
  22. BIGGPLAY

CNN, enough, enough, enough, enough, enough, enough, enough, enough,enough, enough, enough, enough,enough, enough, enough, enough,enough, enough, enough, enough,enough, enough, enough, enough, enough, enough, enough, enough, enough, enough, enough, enough,enough, enough, enough, enough!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

December 23, 2008 08:26 am at 8:26 am |
  23. Randy

Not enough time with the media heck you had way to much time and you still lost so give it up and go back to moose country nobody wants to here from you anymore your done.

December 23, 2008 08:28 am at 8:28 am |
  24. Nathan Hewitson

WHAT?!?!? Not enough media time? More interviews? So even more people would have a chance to see just how out to lunch this woman really is? I think she should stick to shooting bears.

December 23, 2008 08:28 am at 8:28 am |
  25. Suzie McKay

Her biggest mistake was accepting the nomination, knowing she was terribly unqualified for the post. The American people saw through her and reaffirmed my belief in their innate intelligence.

December 23, 2008 08:28 am at 8:28 am |