December 23rd, 2008

Palin's biggest campaign regret: not enough media interviews

Spending on Palin's clothes, makeup and hair made headlines during the campaign.

(CNN) - Former Republican vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin’s biggest mistake of the presidential campaign: not enough time with the media, the Alaska governor said in an interview published Monday.

“The biggest mistake made was that I could have called more shots on this: the opportunities that were not seized to speak to more Americans via media,” she told Human Events.

“I was not allowed to do very many interviews, and the interviews that I did were not necessarily those I would have chosen. But I was so thankful to have the opportunity to run with John McCain that I was not going to argue with the strategy decisions that some of his people were making regarding the media contacts.

“But if I would have been in charge, I would have wanted to speak to more reporters because that’s how you get your message out to the electorate.

Palin also said she was uncomfortable leaving the campaign’s management to people she did not know well. “I was in a campaign in which I did not know the people individually running the campaign. So I had to put my life, my career, my family, and my reputation in their hands. That’s kind of a scary thing to do when you don’t know the people you are working with,” said the Alaska governor.

Palin has been the target of tough criticism, much of it anonymous, from senior McCain aides since the end of the campaign.

Filed under: Popular Posts • Sarah Palin
  1. Joyhana

Enough about Sarah Palin.

As we look back on the seriousness of the entire 2 years of primaries plus the presidential campaign, Palin's appearance, like a shot out of the dark, was the intermission when the clowns come out, to give the real serious politicians a chance to go over serious platform issues, and then get back on the trail.

McCain & Palin contrasted with others as the comedy relief for US politics in 2008, and nothing more. She is not even popular with her constituents in Alaska, now that they got a really good look at her.

December 23, 2008 08:28 am at 8:28 am |
  2. captdcb

Sarah, you gave enough interviews to show us what a ditz you are. Go back to your frozen tundra and bail your daughter`s future mother inlaw out of jail for drug dealing.

December 23, 2008 08:30 am at 8:30 am |
  3. The National Nightmare is Over!

So Barbie's biggest regret is not spending enough time with the media?

I'm not surprised. People with depth and introspection would consider the "paling around with terrorists" comment as the low point. But then again, we'rte talking about Sarah Palin here.

December 23, 2008 08:30 am at 8:30 am |
  4. Tyler

The McCain campaign admitted that they hid her because they knew she was not competent enough to face media scrutiny.

They were right.

She was most effective as a tightly scripted symbol of an America that no longer exists and, thankfully, never really did.

December 23, 2008 08:30 am at 8:30 am |
  5. Anonymous

who cares

December 23, 2008 08:31 am at 8:31 am |
  6. Rorschach

Is this woman really that dumb?

Look, Sarah... we saw enough of you. Seriously, you made a fool of yourself with Couric, and it wasn't her fault – it was yours. There was no "gotcha". Simple, straightforward questions and you couldn't answer.... but you wanted to be "a heartbeat from the Presidency"? Own it. The failure is yours.

The biggest obstacle you faced coming into the race was that you were largely an unknown, and you had the challenge of convincing most people that you were more than a token-female answer to Hillary's supporters. There were more than enough independents and middle-of-the-road people to give you a fighting chance to win them over.

You didn't. You ran them off.

Now, enough about you.

December 23, 2008 08:31 am at 8:31 am |
  7. Lisa V

You know, people keep asking things like, “Why are you afraid of Palin?” I do not think anyone is afraid of Palin herself much. Her followers, however, are the ones to be frightened of. They have a blind devotion to her that is very unsettling and follows no logic. For example, some of them literally believe that Palin was set up by the media, with the media going so far as to burn all of the CDs that show the real, articulate Palin. If Palin had pulled a Blagojevich, her followers would have unquestionably written that off as some sort of set up too. I should not say this, but now I know how a certain European leader circa mid 1940s was able to get by with what he did.

December 23, 2008 08:32 am at 8:32 am |
  8. John

Can someone please explain to me why this woman is still relevant?

December 23, 2008 08:32 am at 8:32 am |
  9. leonard kishore

Because the first few went so well? Yeah that's grand.

I'd also like to throw the blame the media deserves for not coming out and really letting the US know if she REALLY is the most knowlegeable person on energy. Stat reciting is a joke and all I have seen, it's the kind of things managers do in rooms with other managers, and since no one with any technical experience is present, you all buy it. Good going.

December 23, 2008 08:32 am at 8:32 am |
  10. Joe E.

Please GO AWAY! Your polarizing views and those of your supporters have turned citizens against each other. We have never wanted that. Just revel in the memory of your time in the limelight, write a memoir and GO AWAY!

December 23, 2008 08:33 am at 8:33 am |
  11. carlo

You know, denial isn't just a river in Egypt. Does this woman realize that someone who takes six years and five colleges to get a degree in Journalism, barely graduates from high school, and has an I.Q. of less than 90 really should keep her mouth closed? What's worse is that Alaskans actually overwhelmingly support this baffoon. Of course, they have the highest high school drop out rate in the country.

I'll tell you what- If this is the standard bearer of the Republican Party, the Democrats can sit back and enjoy total dominance for at least the next 20 years.

December 23, 2008 08:34 am at 8:34 am |
  12. GOP19

Please go away Sarah. I love your Conservative values, but you are nowhere neara ready for any kind of national office.

December 23, 2008 08:34 am at 8:34 am |
  13. Scott

Yeah, more media exposure. So more people could hear the nonsensical ramblings pouring from between your lips. That would have really sealed the deal. Still don't get it, do you? The American people tried stupid for eight years – look around, it didn't work. Time to try smart.

December 23, 2008 08:35 am at 8:35 am |
  14. DK

OK (sigh)..why is SP acting like she is the best at giving interviews! Some call Mitt Romney and tell him SP got out again please. Katy Couric is one of the best interviewers in the world, I have watched her since she did the olympics back in the day. SP cannot sit there and say that she would have not done an interview with couric. Who woud she have done more interviews with? Witch Doctor weekly, Cabelas Hunt and Grunt, Guns and Ammo, Christian Science monitor. Give us all a great christmas present and go back into the woods with Dick Cheney and get shot in the face by accident, Please Santa..please!

December 23, 2008 08:35 am at 8:35 am |
  15. Xavier

Palin represents the narrow minded attitude that has gotten us into the mess we are in now. She is W. Bush in a skirt. The republican base might love her, but remeber what the last guy they loved did for our country. 2 wars, recesion, unemployment, 911 attack...

December 23, 2008 08:35 am at 8:35 am |
  16. SIRECI

Go away and never come back!

December 23, 2008 08:35 am at 8:35 am |
  17. Jessica

She cannot be SERIOUS ???? The little she said was enough reason to limit her.....wooow

December 23, 2008 08:36 am at 8:36 am |
  18. BOB

Having more interviews is not a good thing. Especially when your Sarah Palin. You may be able to see russia from your window, but that doesn't add up to foreign policy experience. I can see the stars from my yard, but I'm not an astronaut.

December 23, 2008 08:36 am at 8:36 am |
  19. Frank Lee

The more she talked the more it became evident she was an incompetent whack-job.

By the way, did Bristol have the baby yet? Daddy Levi wants to know if it's safe to come back to Wasilla............

December 23, 2008 08:37 am at 8:37 am |
  20. HK

Sarah Palin would have made worse for the Republican Party it she had more media interviews. Hey, can she still see Russia from her house?

December 23, 2008 08:38 am at 8:38 am |
  21. Alex

Why is the media still reporting on unimportant issues relating to Sarah Palin and her perceived potential reasons for her teams loss in this past election? Give it a rest folks...we don't care! In fact, keeping her out of the limelight might do her some real good for the future. Bottom line is she wasn't ready to lead at that level and needs QUIET time to learn.

December 23, 2008 08:38 am at 8:38 am |
  22. HK

Sarah Palin would have made it worse for the Republican Party if she had more media interviews. Hey, can she still see Russia from her house?

December 23, 2008 08:38 am at 8:38 am |
  23. Just Happy

You spoke enough and everyone here in "Anti-America" thanks you for that.

December 23, 2008 08:39 am at 8:39 am |
  24. Brad

Hmmm. This story is already on the ticker...

December 23, 2008 08:39 am at 8:39 am |
  25. Ahhhh!!!

I'm so sure that woulda helped.

December 23, 2008 08:39 am at 8:39 am |