December 23rd, 2008

Palin's biggest campaign regret: not enough media interviews

Spending on Palin's clothes, makeup and hair made headlines during the campaign.

(CNN) - Former Republican vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin’s biggest mistake of the presidential campaign: not enough time with the media, the Alaska governor said in an interview published Monday.

“The biggest mistake made was that I could have called more shots on this: the opportunities that were not seized to speak to more Americans via media,” she told Human Events.

“I was not allowed to do very many interviews, and the interviews that I did were not necessarily those I would have chosen. But I was so thankful to have the opportunity to run with John McCain that I was not going to argue with the strategy decisions that some of his people were making regarding the media contacts.

“But if I would have been in charge, I would have wanted to speak to more reporters because that’s how you get your message out to the electorate.

Palin also said she was uncomfortable leaving the campaign’s management to people she did not know well. “I was in a campaign in which I did not know the people individually running the campaign. So I had to put my life, my career, my family, and my reputation in their hands. That’s kind of a scary thing to do when you don’t know the people you are working with,” said the Alaska governor.

Filed under: Popular Posts • Sarah Palin
  1. Really

She was a great pick for the ticket. She prevented a total landslide in the popular vote. The media, the war in Iraq, the economy, and gas prices lost the election for the Republicans. With all those negatives, it shows how strong of a canidate Obama was for the dems. And the power that Palin had with the people. McCain still received 44% of the vote. Not really a landslide like the media or Obama people like to claim. Take two of the negative forces out of the mix and McCain would have squeeked out a victory.

December 23, 2008 08:40 am at 8:40 am |
  2. Chess

Sarah.....please go away!!!

December 23, 2008 08:40 am at 8:40 am |
  3. S, Miami, FL

That too is my biggest disappointment in regards to her campaigning as VP. I could've used much more laughs than there already were.

December 23, 2008 08:41 am at 8:41 am |
  4. Ahhhh!!!

BTW, Bristol had that baby yet?

December 23, 2008 08:42 am at 8:42 am |
  5. mick

Sarah made a positive impression on me as a reformer. I wish her the best in anything that she does. She is looking back and learning from all that transpired. She'll be back and her supporters will be back too.

Or we can all settle for Blago-style politics as usual. Oh, we did...

Blago 2012

December 23, 2008 08:42 am at 8:42 am |
  6. WELCOME TO THE OBAMA SHOW!!!!!!!!!!!!

SARAH NEEDS TO RUN FOR PRESIDENT.

SHE IS NOT FROM CROOKED WASHINGTON AND IS THE ONLY ONE THAT I TRUST TO RUN THIS COUNTRY.

December 23, 2008 08:42 am at 8:42 am |
  7. Ha!

Revisionist history already!

Does she not recall how vastly ignorant and confused she looked at even the simplest of questions? Does she re-listen to her own incoherent rambling and think that her words made any sense?

Perhaps she is mistakenly calling FOX News "the media". Nah, not even she is that silly.

December 23, 2008 08:42 am at 8:42 am |
  8. akaskan

God forbid if she opened her mouth anymore than she did!

December 23, 2008 08:42 am at 8:42 am |
  9. Maggie

She should regret doing ANY interviews. She came off looking like a complete idiot who couldn't tie a coherent sentence together. The more she talked, the more idiotic she sounded.

December 23, 2008 08:42 am at 8:42 am |
  10. johnny 2 in Kalamazoo

Is it 2012 yet? After Obama falls on his face and totally screws up the economy, Sarah will comes to to the rescue!

December 23, 2008 08:43 am at 8:43 am |
  11. Funny Stuff

The few interviews she did was enough to cost Mc Cain the election.Dysfunctional group for sure. What don't they get about her being not qualified for a national position.

December 23, 2008 08:43 am at 8:43 am |
  12. just me

Ohhhhhh....... Sarah, I think you had plenty of time in media interviews. I don't think MORE time would have helped you at all....

December 23, 2008 08:44 am at 8:44 am |
  13. Ted O. (Canada)

Sarah Palin was not allowed to do more interviews, because she herself proved that the more interviews she did, the quicker the public would learn how terribly unqualified she was for the position. John Mcain knew this even though he lied. Sarah still just doesn't get it .SHE WASN'T QUALIIFIED. How long will Sarah continue this delusionary stance?

December 23, 2008 08:44 am at 8:44 am |
  14. LisaB

Oh please, more interviews, yea right.

The only person that would have benfitted was Tina Fey and the writers at SNL who could have taken another day off because Palin already provided more material.

December 23, 2008 08:44 am at 8:44 am |
  15. tripletma, Indianapolis, IN

there...also

December 23, 2008 08:44 am at 8:44 am |
  16. Jack Adams

She just does not get it. She was not qualified enough to run a company let alone the country. She was an embarrasment to republicans like me. She cost MCcain the presidency and she was the stone that sunk him. Let her speak to media more without any supervision was not something that MCCain's campaign could afford.

Go way and hopefully we never have to hear your voice anymore.

December 23, 2008 08:44 am at 8:44 am |
  17. Jim Hall

What a village idiot. Now or to be mother in law of knocked up Palins daughter caught with drugs. This whole mess needs mental help of some kind Jim Hall Kansas City Missouri.

December 23, 2008 08:45 am at 8:45 am |
  18. Gerda Edwards

"Palin has been the target of tough criticism, much of it anonymous, from senior McCain aides since the end of the campaign."...and most of it discounted, Ms. Sinderbrand fails to mention.

Her biggest mistake was being a Conservative woman from outside the beltway. She has more experience running things than Obama, is smarter than Biden, and represents change more than either of them.

Now, I'll stand back and wait to see hoe the hateful left attacks her in these blogs.

December 23, 2008 08:46 am at 8:46 am |
  19. james

I don't know that MORE media interviews would have helped. It was fairly obvious to anyone not "like her" that she was not suited to being a heart beat away from the presidency. Those who thought she was weren't smart enough to realize how much more they and her have to learn. I'm not an elitist, just want the candidate that knows the most. Hannibal went on a rampage to kill every intellectual in his time, and look how far back civilization was set with that. These last 8 years weren't THAT bad, but more of these anti-education types might have us well on our way.

December 23, 2008 08:46 am at 8:46 am |
  20. Anonymous

GO HOME AND STAY THERE ! TAKE CARE OF YOUR CHILDREN !!

December 23, 2008 08:46 am at 8:46 am |
  21. Get Real

Yea right more disastrous interviews would have been great, it doesnt matter if she'd done more or been able to choose them, the fact remains she was not intelligent enough nor knowledgeable enough on world issues to give coherent, substiantive answers. There would have been more, "i'll get back to ya's"

December 23, 2008 08:46 am at 8:46 am |
  22. Independent Dave, Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Clueless!

December 23, 2008 08:47 am at 8:47 am |
  23. Linda

I'm tired of hearing about Palin and what she should of, could of or would of done. We need to be talking about jobs, credit markets and the restoration of the US image in the world now, not Sarah Palin.

If she decides to run in '12 fine we can talk about her again in '10 or '11. She has no one to blame but herself as to her image. She didn't know enough about the subjects or issues she was questioned on and that will come out no matter who you talk to in the media.

Sarah go back and learn about the issues and come back when you can speak coherently on them. I still won't vote for her as her stance on many issues are too far out there for me.

December 23, 2008 08:47 am at 8:47 am |
  24. Toni

WHO CARES!!! Get over it you lost Obama won the campain is over and Sen. McCain lost largely because people didn't want to see " her" in the White House I for one am extreamly glad that America woke up and didn't put them in office. And if you remember it was by a HUGE margin that Obama won it was a landslide by far...
    Obama/Biden 08 Yeah!!! that's my President... His family look like mine... oh yeah...

December 23, 2008 08:48 am at 8:48 am |
  25. Justin

I was actually hoping she'd speak less to the American public. Ideally, not at all. Just add lack of insight and accountability to the list of this woman's faults.

December 23, 2008 08:48 am at 8:48 am |