December 23rd, 2008

Palin's biggest campaign regret: not enough media interviews

Spending on Palin's clothes, makeup and hair made headlines during the campaign.

(CNN) - Former Republican vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin’s biggest mistake of the presidential campaign: not enough time with the media, the Alaska governor said in an interview published Monday.

“The biggest mistake made was that I could have called more shots on this: the opportunities that were not seized to speak to more Americans via media,” she told Human Events.

“I was not allowed to do very many interviews, and the interviews that I did were not necessarily those I would have chosen. But I was so thankful to have the opportunity to run with John McCain that I was not going to argue with the strategy decisions that some of his people were making regarding the media contacts.

“But if I would have been in charge, I would have wanted to speak to more reporters because that’s how you get your message out to the electorate.

Palin also said she was uncomfortable leaving the campaign’s management to people she did not know well. “I was in a campaign in which I did not know the people individually running the campaign. So I had to put my life, my career, my family, and my reputation in their hands. That’s kind of a scary thing to do when you don’t know the people you are working with,” said the Alaska governor.

Palin has been the target of tough criticism, much of it anonymous, from senior McCain aides since the end of the campaign.

Filed under: Popular Posts • Sarah Palin
  1. K-Dub 4 Obama

They should have told her to her face what the problem was... The rest of America didn't have a problem doing it.

December 23, 2008 08:49 am at 8:49 am |
  2. buck

Biggest campaign regret....mainstream media in the tank for Obama.
    Where's CNN now – why no bashing on Sweet Caroline's qualifications to be a US Senator?

December 23, 2008 08:50 am at 8:50 am |
  3. FD

Can you imagine what other interviews she would have given? She already declared that Mohammed Atta was not a terrorist ("terrorist are those that try to bomb our capital and our pentagon"), that she knew nothing about politics and nothing about the real world in general. Oh yes – she should have given more interviews – something more to laugh at.

December 23, 2008 08:50 am at 8:50 am |
  4. Valerie

I would venture to guess that the OPPOSITE might be true. She was too exposed in the media, which allowed her to be portrayed as what she truly is, a drastically uninformed "pretty face," who is woefully underqualified to hold ANY public office. Our political system will remain stagnant, and "CHANGE" will remain nothing but a hot air slogan until we find representatives of both parties, or better yet, an overlooked "third" party who truly is more than just a flashy smile, nice outfit, and catchy slogan.

December 23, 2008 08:50 am at 8:50 am |
  5. TC

I am glad Sarah was not allowed to do more interviews because she was truly annoying on the interviews she did do.

December 23, 2008 08:50 am at 8:50 am |
  6. dlien

Palin needs to quit bawling about her loss, she needs to pick up the pieces and go on like everyone else has to do that was defeated. She was not qualified, so get some experience and go on.......

December 23, 2008 08:51 am at 8:51 am |
  7. Betty Fink

Wish I could have voted for you for President. You obviously had to hit the ground running once nominated for VP and you did a remarkable job. Thank you for the photo of you and John and know that many people that I talk to are also your supporters!

December 23, 2008 08:51 am at 8:51 am |
  8. DOC

Why, CNN, why? Why do you insist on continuing the Palin political fiasco? Are you so hard up for good news that you have to drag this saga on and on and on?

Does us all a favor and hire some REAL journalists who can bring us REAL news and not this mindless dribble.

December 23, 2008 08:51 am at 8:51 am |
  9. K. Owens

Gimme a break! Her biggest regret should have been accepting the nomination. She personifies how luck and winking can get you into a high-level government role. Maverick.

December 23, 2008 08:52 am at 8:52 am |
  10. William

Not enough interviews? You have to be kidding. Your interviews are what clued us in to what a mean-spirited, bumbling fool you are, Governor. We suspect that John McCain's biggest regret is that he put you on the ticket. While you didn't cost the Senator the election, you certainly cemented his inevitable defeat. You were the last straw for many independents and moderate Republicans.

December 23, 2008 08:52 am at 8:52 am |
  11. Kimberly in Texas

Yeah, that's the reason...NOT!

December 23, 2008 08:53 am at 8:53 am |
  12. Female ex-Hillary Supporter

Idiot. She wanted more rope with which to hang herself. I wish she had it! Some of the best comedy all year came from this circus act.

December 23, 2008 08:53 am at 8:53 am |
  13. Sue

Lady....GO AWAY!!!

December 23, 2008 08:55 am at 8:55 am |
  14. JL

GLAD she had few interview's I can NOT stand her whinning voice, it's too bossie and to much "entiltement". White folks need to drop that "entitlement" mentaility they cling to it's disgusting to say the least.

December 23, 2008 08:56 am at 8:56 am |
  15. Lisa in Ga

Sarah Sarah Sarah.... they did not let you speak because the McCain team knew that you were not capable of getting the message out.. let alone the correct vocabulary to do so....

December 23, 2008 08:56 am at 8:56 am |
  16. N. S. Huntsville, Al

No Pailn your biggest regret should be not being prepared to be Vice President and runing around acting like a maverick, when in fact you were nothin but a pretty faced con artist who is very ignorant.

December 23, 2008 08:56 am at 8:56 am |
  17. Norman

what a laugh. she wanted more of the thing that destroyed her. if she didn't come off as such a phoney every time she opened her mouth it may not have been a big deal.

December 23, 2008 08:56 am at 8:56 am |
  18. Maggie from Virginia

For those of you who say the election is over... Elections are never over. As soon as one end, another start. So, bash away.

December 23, 2008 08:56 am at 8:56 am |
  19. Chris P

I wonder if she realizes how this makes her sound? Is she not strong enough to stand up for what she believes? If you don't have the courage to stand up at the time, don't go back and bad mouth the people who gave you a chance later.

December 23, 2008 08:57 am at 8:57 am |
  20. Alex in the I-4 Corridor

Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha.... One could argue that the handful of interviews she did single handedly sank the ticket.

December 23, 2008 08:57 am at 8:57 am |
  21. Kathy S. Cloughn

Please...that is what saved you from further humiliation. You were used and managed by the McCain operatives. I feel for you!

December 23, 2008 08:58 am at 8:58 am |
  22. Elizabeth, Philadelphia, PA

Wow. Palin wishes she had done more interviews? Every time she opens her mouth, I find myself increasingly stunned by her lack of brainpower. The American people really dodged a bullet here...

December 23, 2008 08:58 am at 8:58 am |
  23. Sweet Pea

Golly Gee....say it ain't so Sarah!!

December 23, 2008 08:58 am at 8:58 am |
  24. Floridaidian

she sure is making up for it now...

December 23, 2008 08:58 am at 8:58 am |
  25. Lori

More interviews? Yeah, that would have helped... NOT!!! Tell this so-called Christian (that incites hatred and anger in already hateful, racist and angry so-called Christians) that GOD DOES NOT LIKE DIRTY (even if it is in politics). She'll have to answer to God why she called Obama a terrorist and encouraged people to say 'Kill him!' and 'Osama!' while doing nothing.

I hope to see you in 4 years when Obama wins with a landslide!

December 23, 2008 08:58 am at 8:58 am |