December 23rd, 2008

Palin's biggest campaign regret: not enough media interviews

Spending on Palin's clothes, makeup and hair made headlines during the campaign.

(CNN) - Former Republican vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin’s biggest mistake of the presidential campaign: not enough time with the media, the Alaska governor said in an interview published Monday.

“The biggest mistake made was that I could have called more shots on this: the opportunities that were not seized to speak to more Americans via media,” she told Human Events.

“I was not allowed to do very many interviews, and the interviews that I did were not necessarily those I would have chosen. But I was so thankful to have the opportunity to run with John McCain that I was not going to argue with the strategy decisions that some of his people were making regarding the media contacts.

“But if I would have been in charge, I would have wanted to speak to more reporters because that’s how you get your message out to the electorate.

Palin also said she was uncomfortable leaving the campaign’s management to people she did not know well. “I was in a campaign in which I did not know the people individually running the campaign. So I had to put my life, my career, my family, and my reputation in their hands. That’s kind of a scary thing to do when you don’t know the people you are working with,” said the Alaska governor.

Palin has been the target of tough criticism, much of it anonymous, from senior McCain aides since the end of the campaign.

Filed under: Popular Posts • Sarah Palin
  1. She doesn't get it!

No, Sarah – I thikn your biggest mistake was accepting the nomination. Any further time spent in front of the camera from you and Barack would've won even more votes.

Maybe you should abondon politics and start your own talk show. It's obvious that your "thing" is media attention so why not do it? Plus you'd make more money! Isn't that all you want? Sure seems like it!

December 23, 2008 09:19 am at 9:19 am |
  2. Loud & Proud Leftie

Oh Sarah, we share the same regret about your candidacy. If only you had been allowed to run free! Your Couric & Gibson interviews were hilarious (and just think, you prepared for those!) An unscripted, unprepared Sarah rambling on, mangling syntax? Priceless.

December 23, 2008 09:19 am at 9:19 am |
  3. Ariana

oh please! do more interviews so you can sound more like an imbecile???

December 23, 2008 09:20 am at 9:20 am |
  4. Gary Rathbun

I don't understand why the auto industry has to account for every dime and undergo intense scrutiny while wall street doesn't have to account for a single penny, and can refuse outright to answer any questions about its spending. Can someone explain this to me? How can this be?

This is my money! This is outrageous! I've read that part of this money went to executive bonuses. Can this be true? Where is the oversight – is there any?

Where in hell is Congress! Where in hell is the media? Where is anyone that understands – is there anyone – his and can explain it to me?

December 23, 2008 09:21 am at 9:21 am |
  5. Mike D

right, because its really a shame we didn't get to see more of her, not the fact that she was inciting hate and violence against our next president.

December 23, 2008 09:21 am at 9:21 am |
  6. The Artful Dodger

I agree with her. More media interviews would have been wonderful. There's nothing like the moments of hilarity that only someone like Sarah Palin can provide to take the edge off a campaign. I can only hope she chooses to run in 2012 so we can all enjoy some good, hearty laughter.

December 23, 2008 09:22 am at 9:22 am |
  7. mc

yeah, sarah...i think you talked a little *too* much!

December 23, 2008 09:22 am at 9:22 am |
  8. Alton

Could Palin be any more delusional. The insanity that surrounds here is a bit astounding. She complained about not knowing the people she was working with. Is she serious? Her complaints sound more like a whinning 13 year old. She was asked to be the person that would be one heart beat away from running the United States. When is someone going to explain to the that she was not the person actually running for President. I cannot believe that anything more than the most delusional Republican supporters could listen to her stupidity and hold to the fantasy that she is the future. While I may not hold to the Republican ideals I realize there are some very intelligent and well meaning people in the Republican party. Palin is certainly not one of those.

December 23, 2008 09:22 am at 9:22 am |
  9. nick

I agree that she should have been allowed to spend more time with the media ,the results of which, would have revealed an even more inarticulate, poorly informed , unqualified individual that she showed herself to be with her limited exposure. Let's hope she runs in 2012 for another landslide Dem victory!

December 23, 2008 09:22 am at 9:22 am |
  10. san mateo

Oh, yeah! We needed more pearls of wisdom from Sarah!

December 23, 2008 09:22 am at 9:22 am |
  11. Judy D.

Are you kidding me? ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

December 23, 2008 09:22 am at 9:22 am |
  12. Dina

She's right, the McCain team should have let her rip... then the public would have gotten a clearer picture of the fact that she had an incredibly shallow level of knowledge and understanding of issues. The scary thing about Palin is that she has no clue that she has no clue. Sound familiar?

December 23, 2008 09:23 am at 9:23 am |
  13. TM in CO

Probably a good thing she didn't get many. For such a fine upstanding Christian women, this women sure did lie and spew an awful lot of hate........................

December 23, 2008 09:24 am at 9:24 am |
  14. Florence

I think you did great Sara. The media was the problem. Cable T.V. was in bed with Obama. It is unfortunate that you did not get fair coverage. They were nasty as could be. I stopped watching cnn, abc, and mcnbc. I lost total confidence in their reporting. What a shame this country has sunk to that .
    Florence

December 23, 2008 09:24 am at 9:24 am |
  15. Jim

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

December 23, 2008 09:25 am at 9:25 am |
  16. Baze

Our biggest mistake: spending so much time with this nitwit.

December 23, 2008 09:25 am at 9:25 am |
  17. Veronica

Oh, Painful. You gave more than enough interviews for us to see what a bumbling bimbo you are.

December 23, 2008 09:25 am at 9:25 am |
  18. kevin

Why do we care? This celebrity gossip that is perpetrated through media outlets is distracting from the real issues at hand in this country – what would she do/have done with the power given? Quit the back-handed self-gratification boasting about how "you were right" on this subject.

Shame on you CNN for posting this on the ticker – you should know better. This so-called "story" belongs on E! or the cover of some trashy tabloid next to pictures of TomKat's or Brangelina's babies.

December 23, 2008 09:26 am at 9:26 am |
  19. Lisa

I think the problem is, she had too many media interviews.

December 23, 2008 09:26 am at 9:26 am |
  20. Mildred

Sarah please. Don't you think it's time you give it a rest? You had your 15 minutes of fame now go home and be with your family. You know as well as the majority of Americans that you are not ready to be the VP of the United States of America. You need to understand that you are out of your league and certainly not a Hilary Clinton. You have a long way to go to fill her shoes and those of other women that are more in tune with what' s going on in the world. You may want to think about going back to school to continue your education. I believe that you are a good person just not ready to be the Vice Prez to lead the nation. Hilary Clinton did not have it all wrong when she said that "when that call comes in at 3:00 am in the morning who do we want answering that crucical phone if the President is incapacitated." Certainly not a Sarah Palin who would make some serious mistakes and inexperience Judgments that could possibly lead this country to another war. Sarah, you are where you need to be and that is at home with your children and teaching your daughter all about being a mother. Best wishes to you and your family.

December 23, 2008 09:27 am at 9:27 am |
  21. Brian

She was a VP candidate. Give me a break.

December 23, 2008 09:28 am at 9:28 am |
  22. Is she still news?

After taking time to reflect on her campaign performance, this is the best she can come up with...I shoulda been in the spotlight more? How self-serving can one person get? If she's the best the Repubs have to offer in 2012; they are doomed for another defeat.

December 23, 2008 09:28 am at 9:28 am |
  23. t

Seems to me CNN you are giving her what she thinks she needs
    news. Every week Palin always get to the media. She is playing a game it is like a drug to her she got to have it (media).
    Who cares about Palin she had her shot and look what happen.
    Go back to your home and focus on your family, because when you are trying to stay on top who is watching your home front ? But just maybe the media is more important....Got to have it !

December 23, 2008 09:29 am at 9:29 am |
  24. a little sad

I agree that she should have had more interviews.

I would never have voted for her, and I would donate to her opponent.

However, I do believe she should have had more exposure and that the voters should know more about her.

I think that would have resulted in less rather than more votes for her.

I loved Tina Fey's impressions and laughed heartily. But I do not believe Palin is "dumb" and writing her off as such is not only meanspririted, it is counter productive.

I think her positions are much more relevant, and I believe they show her true colors. Those positions are what make her unift for the job.

And more exposure would allow people to see that and make that determination.

December 23, 2008 09:30 am at 9:30 am |
  25. kathy

Sarah Palin could have done a gazillion interviews...she was still "unqualified" for the position of VP! She could have taken advantage of the ones she did do...and they were flops...not because of the people in charge, etc etc as she has said in this commentary!....she made herself the idiot!....she showed her true colors!....she needs to give it up!....she is not the republican party savious...and i doubt she ever will be!

December 23, 2008 09:30 am at 9:30 am |