January 1st, 2009

Celebs give big bucks to Obama's inauguration

CNN

CNN's Jim Acosta reports on the list of celebrities donating to Obama's presidential inauguration.

(CNN) - The rich and famous are donating big bucks to Barack Obama's inauguration, CNN's Jim Acosta reports.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Ray Fisher

It is my understanding that this is one of the few if only inauguration soley funded by private donations instead of tax dollars!!! If that is true, then this story is a wash and irresponsible reporting. I don't think everyone should kiss President Obama's butt but simply give credit where due!!!

January 1, 2009 09:59 am at 9:59 am |
  2. MK

Good for them! President elect Obama deserves the same kind of inaugration as any other President. I hope he and his family have a fabulous day on the 20th of this month, I know I will! Here's to 1/20/2009! Cheers!

January 1, 2009 10:00 am at 10:00 am |
  3. 19 More Days!!

What is your point?? Do youe see any huge companies and lobbyists on the list? Isn't the fact that the American people can see who the contributers are the real story?

It is unfortunate with every step forward the press wants to take two steps back. You have been crying for transparency as PE Obama promised and when you get it your first move is to try to create controversy!!...repeating J McCain's celebrity ads....one wonders how many of the press"elite" are actually jealous of both Obama's success and connection with the American people.

January 1, 2009 10:07 am at 10:07 am |
  4. sharon, newport news, virginia

If I were as rich as the above named people, I would be there too. If that is how they choose to spend there money, so what??? People blow that much at a table in Vegas and no one cares so why should this bother anyone??? Good for them and I hope they have a great time Wish it were me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

January 1, 2009 10:09 am at 10:09 am |
  5. vicki

Great! thank you Hollywood.

January 1, 2009 10:15 am at 10:15 am |
  6. girltexas

Bought and paid for...what else is new?

January 1, 2009 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  7. TCM

Celebrities supporting their own...I wonder if Jamie Fox would've been so supportive had Obama claimed to be white? What's truly amazing is so many ignorant Americans follow what celebrities say; after all they set such excellent examples with DUI's, drug overdoses, rehab, multiple marriages with many kids from each one....such wonderful role models...Wake up libs...they're ACTORS...and they act like they know what they're talking about...hmm...that's why they say OBama's a celebrity...

January 1, 2009 10:27 am at 10:27 am |
  8. TCM

What's truly ridiculous is yet, another CNN poll, on this very Ticker, that's conveniently closed (quickly) to comment....referencing OBama's leadership rating to Bush's after 9/11....what a joke! another biased CNN poll...taken from liberally slanted sheeple....I only have one question....WHAT LEADERSHIP? Obama's led absolutely nothing, CNN, not even a midnight shift at Wendy's...so how could you possibly post such a biased, unsubstantiated article? And then quickly censor and close it after posting a few "Obama-favorable," comments? This is one of the worst news reports you've ever made...totally unfair, and unbalanced....and unprofessional.

January 1, 2009 10:33 am at 10:33 am |
  9. proudliberal-independent

i would have donated to the inaugural, but, after all the clinton/bush retreads, and rick warren's invitation, i think it's best i wait and see the policy 'changes', first,before giving to anyone. i may have to go from staunch supporter to staunch protester.

January 1, 2009 10:34 am at 10:34 am |
  10. mesa

Of course they do. He is after all, THEIR president.

How can anyone think Obama represents the average citizen?

January 1, 2009 10:39 am at 10:39 am |
  11. Stan Pitak

I am so weary of the power of the rich and famous in this country. They have way too much influence.

Change that I could believe in would be Obama doing a low key celebration and all the rest of the money going to those who have lost their jobs under the Bush administration.

Wouldn't that send a very powerful message?

Instead, politics and influence as usual. There will be gluttonous excess in Washington as people in Rome Georgia are removed from their foreclosed homes.

Party on Nero!
    Rest in the false hope that the people of Rome are being warmed by the flames.

January 1, 2009 10:40 am at 10:40 am |
  12. Sam

Great! I just sent in a donation as well. I will be there no hotel or not – nothing will keep the family away! I was there for Clinton and will be there for this one as well.

January 1, 2009 10:40 am at 10:40 am |
  13. Salt & Pepper

DUH! It's THEIR money do do with what they want. Go for it. I hope it makes a difference because the "other" party just hoards it for themselves!

January 1, 2009 10:45 am at 10:45 am |
  14. katiec

And, his supporters are giving little bucks. He does not want
    lobbyists, special interests etc footing the bill for his
    inauguration so what is the big deal??

January 1, 2009 10:48 am at 10:48 am |
  15. Dave, Illinois

Typical liberals, talk about helping those less fortunate and then donate obscene amounts of money so that our new celebrity president can have a bigger party. How many meals, blankets, medicine, etc could that money buy.

January 1, 2009 10:58 am at 10:58 am |
  16. fred

big surprise here! not! CNN, I could have told you that. It's hollywood. Man, maybe I could be a professional reporter 🙂

January 1, 2009 11:00 am at 11:00 am |
  17. Texas Teacher

Commendable... I'm glad that those who have the money are generous enough to do so. 🙂

January 1, 2009 11:04 am at 11:04 am |
  18. NEW AMERICAN-CITIZEN

WOOOW THATS GREAT NEWS. EVEN THEM THEY WANT THIS COUNTY TO MOVE ON.... GOO OBAMA WE LOVE U.

January 1, 2009 11:24 am at 11:24 am |
  19. yellow dog democrat

Thats nice....but meanwhile, CNN – what is George W. Bush doing to the environment of this country – what things is he sliding in at the cost of the nations health of all creatures great and small – God made them all and we need to be responsible to protect them – fat cats are prowling the woods and waters and praries of this nation and they are going to take advantage while we look the other way!

January 1, 2009 11:26 am at 11:26 am |
  20. Lauren

Why did they not donate that money to feed the homeless?

Why did they not donate that money to the single mother working two jobs, so she could buy the kids a nice Xmas dinner and small gifts?

Why,, simple,, because Obama is one of them, a Hollywood celebrity now.

Who cares about the poor and unfortunate when you can celebrate among your own elite crowd.

January 1, 2009 11:32 am at 11:32 am |
  21. Scott

And in hard times such as these, just how much of our tax dollars is going into anoiting your chosen ONE ?

January 1, 2009 11:37 am at 11:37 am |
  22. MLH

Aren't they allowed to? I imagine less famous people also donated quite a bit of money.

January 1, 2009 11:39 am at 11:39 am |
  23. Wow

"Steven Spielberg, Halle Berry, Sharon Stone, and Jamie Fox are among the Hollywood stars who have donated the maximum $50,000 to the Presidential Inauguration Committee."

It amazes me that these people have this much money to throw around. I hope the new president has a great party but maybe he could channel this money into other directions. Like towards us poor people who voted for him.

January 1, 2009 11:48 am at 11:48 am |
  24. windfall

I wonder why they didn't list me? i'm a big shot too ya know lol

January 1, 2009 11:51 am at 11:51 am |
  25. dr.mimi de la cuz

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU MR.PRESIDENT-elect,

TO YOUR GORGEOUS FAMILY & FRIENDS. ALSO

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL AMERICANS.

January 1, 2009 11:58 am at 11:58 am |