January 3rd, 2009

Mrs. Obama, two daughters head to D.C.

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/12/31/art.obama31.gi.jpg caption="Malia and Sasha Obama, pictured here on a recent Hawaiian vacation with the President-elect, traveled to Washington Saturday with Mrs. Obama."]
WASHINGTON (CNN) - Future First Lady Michelle Obama and daughters Malia and Sasha have taken a big step in their own transition to the White House.

The Obama women left Chicago and traveled to Washington Saturday, according to a pool report from the president-elect's traveling press corps.

Malia and Sasha Obama are set to begin classes Monday at Sidwell Friends, a private school in the D.C. area. Their father will arrive in Washington on Sunday evening, according to the pool report.

The Obamas are staying at the historic Hay Adams hotel near the White House until January 15, when the official guest residence at the Blair House becomes available to them. They will move into the White House on January 20 after the inauguration.

WATCH: When Michelle met Barack

1. Curt

It is a nice human interest story. I wish the best to the Obamma family during this stressful transistion. I remember my own children having to adapt to a new school, social cirlce and community.

Sam, I am pretty sure you can find several articles about Israeli and Palenstiniian conflict. Personally I am glad the give us a little human news on CNN.

Clifford, the Hay Adams hotel is far from the "Projects" . You may wish to visit thier website. Not to mention thier view of the white house. Something tells me that thier room wil be....... presidential suite?

January 3, 2009 10:57 pm at 10:57 pm |
  2. Marcus

Clifford,
    At least try to read the ticker before you post...you only make yourself look bad.

January 3, 2009 11:03 pm at 11:03 pm |
  3. Tracy-Oakley

Clifford you're an idiot!!

January 3, 2009 11:06 pm at 11:06 pm |
  4. joe

Nice girls. They will be role models to many American kids. Mines included that school is the most important thing!

January 3, 2009 11:06 pm at 11:06 pm |
  5. Proud American

I think CNN has stopped posting my comments, just can't stand a intelligent voice of reason I guess. I'll start posting like the Idiot Clifford..

January 3, 2009 11:10 pm at 11:10 pm |
  6. Dan, TX

Wonderful!

January 3, 2009 11:12 pm at 11:12 pm |
  7. Anna, ATL

Best Wishes to the Entire Obama family as they prepare for their Historic Journey.
    May this Country heal and prosper under the Obama Administration!Coming from someone who was not an Obama Supporter.

Godspeed, President-Elect!

January 3, 2009 11:13 pm at 11:13 pm |
  8. Messiah watch

He appoints Mrs. Bill Clinton SOS but could he leave his daughters alone with Mr. Bill Clinton for five minutes ?

January 3, 2009 11:18 pm at 11:18 pm |
  9. Proud American

Dear first family the entire country saying welcome and you have all our support.

January 3, 2009 11:19 pm at 11:19 pm |
  10. Proud American

I hope the Bush's didn't leave those Texas size roaches.

January 3, 2009 11:20 pm at 11:20 pm |
  11. Proud American

Clifford your mother should have never drank like she did when drungin pregency with you. Good lord your a Idiot.

January 3, 2009 11:21 pm at 11:21 pm |
  12. carol

Wish all the family well in their move to Washington, it will be a major change to all their lives.
    Looking forward to seeing them as our next First Family.

January 3, 2009 11:26 pm at 11:26 pm |
  13. Lance

The "projects"? Really? Oh I get it! It's cuz they're black right? Ha Ha! Clifford, your sheet is showing.

The Obama's did not move into Blair house because it is not available due to a previously scheduled event that could not be changed.

You should read before you post your ignorant comment.

January 3, 2009 11:28 pm at 11:28 pm |
  14. Happy 2009!!

Sam,

In case you missed it, CNN has devoted the entire home page to the Israeli and Palestinian conflict. Depressing.

I'm glad CNN is reporting some uplifting news to start the new year (THANK YOU!).

January 3, 2009 11:29 pm at 11:29 pm |
  15. Hal B

FREEDOM AND DEMOCRACY but my comments are blocked... (too much truth for America)

January 3, 2009 11:31 pm at 11:31 pm |
  16. German,Irish American

Proud American -"So, when are they coming to move Bush's trailer"? Answer- As soon as Obama gets his personal drug dealer smuggled back into the U.S.

January 3, 2009 11:36 pm at 11:36 pm |
  17. Donna

I pray that God keep these children safe and out of harm's way now and forever. Amen.

January 3, 2009 11:38 pm at 11:38 pm |
  18. Messiah watch

CNN needs to pull Christiane Amanpour until she stops actively supporting Hamas during her reports. This crap must stop, and stop soon.

January 3, 2009 11:40 pm at 11:40 pm |
  19. ironmen1987

they're gonna throw in some polyester carpet and add a few pink flamingos and a gnome so Obama can move right in P AMER.

January 3, 2009 11:41 pm at 11:41 pm |
  20. Peter Ramsey

I bet Obama gets impeached!

January 3, 2009 11:42 pm at 11:42 pm |
  21. Sandy

The Bushes had to know that most people with school age children try to get their children started in a new school at the beginning of the semester. Whatever they're using the Blair house for surely could have been done at the White House.

January 3, 2009 11:46 pm at 11:46 pm |
  22. wanbligi

And so it begins. President elect Barack Obama to be sworn in on January 20, 2009 and America's people finally get back their country. History in the making. Take care.

January 3, 2009 11:47 pm at 11:47 pm |
  23. Change!

This has will be one of the proudest moments of my life to be able to witness the first African-American family take up residence in the White House. As an African-American, I never thought I'd ever witness such an event. I have experienced mistreatment simply because of the color of my skin, and to be able to witness such a historical moment affirms that God is real. We were created in his image and his commandment is to love. I know that He was involved in this entire process because of all the events that led to thistory being made. I have a dream, that one day we will judge one another by the contents of our character, and that we will all learn to tolorate each other and live as one.

January 3, 2009 11:49 pm at 11:49 pm |
  24. Snickers

Sam: There is always enough disturbing news out there.
    Isn't it kind of nice to just hear something fun and positive.
    Yes, I voted for PE Obama, and look forward to the family
    in the White House. How exciting to have a young vibrant
    family to watch for a change!

January 3, 2009 11:53 pm at 11:53 pm |
  25. 17 Days To Go

Wonderful move of the Obamas to let the Obama women go first forcing the press pool to stay behind in Chicago with the PE. They are going to protect their daughters regarless of the constant pouting of the press.

January 3, 2009 11:54 pm at 11:54 pm |