January 4th, 2009

Longtime Clinton aide says he'll run for VA governor

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/images/01/04/art.terryvid0104.yt.jpg caption="Terry McAuliffe, a longtime aide to the Clintons, made an announcement about his own political future in an online video released Saturday evening."]
WASHINGTON (CNN) – After years at the side of Bill and Hillary Clinton, Terry McAuliffe told supporters Saturday night that he intends to run for Virginia’s highest political office.

“On January 7, I will announce my candidacy for the governor of Virginia,” McAuliffe said in a video e-mailed Saturday evening and posted on terrymcauliffe.com.

“As governor, I’ll make it my job to protect your job, grow this economy, make Virginia a leader in renewable energy, focus on long term transportation solutions, and give our children the best education so they have a chance to pursue the American dream right here in Virginia,” McAuliffe says as he looks directly at the camera.

Striking a theme reminiscent of President-elect Barack Obama’s presidential campaign, McAuliffe told supporters, “When it comes to fixing our economy, there’s no such thing as a Republican job or a Democratic job.”

“It’s about bringing people together create good jobs. That’s the kind of leadership I believe in.” he added.

The formal announcement of McAuliffe’s candidacy has been expected for some time. McAuliffe, a longtime aide of both former President Bill Clinton and Sen. Hillary Clinton, most recently served as the national chairman of Hillary Clinton’s presidential campaign.

Virginia Republicans have nominated Robert McDonnell, the state’s Attorney General, to try to reclaim control of Richmond for the GOP. McDonnell has already been endorsed by Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal.

McAuliffe faces primary competition from at least two fellow Democrats: state Sen. Creigh Deeds and Brian Moran, a member of the state House of Delegates and the chairman of the House Democratic Caucus, also have announced their candidacies for governor.

Filed under: Popular Posts • Terry McAuliffe
  1. Humored in Texas

Terry is a good man and will make a great governor for Virginia!!!

I hear the GOP is going to trot out Allen again, so they can take advantage of his stance on racial tolerance.

January 4, 2009 10:56 am at 10:56 am |
  2. Bosworth

No thanks, Mr. McAuliffe. You practically sank the Clinton candidacy, uttered some incredibly thoughtless statements, and interviewed terribly on television. That, and you are no where near "center" enough for a Virginia democrat. Stick with the DNC. If Howard Dean can't run it into the ground, then neither will you.

January 4, 2009 11:02 am at 11:02 am |
  3. southerncousin

A long-time slime going to the tarnished gold.

January 4, 2009 11:10 am at 11:10 am |
  4. DB25

Not sure if he can pull this off....I guess we will see!

January 4, 2009 11:17 am at 11:17 am |
  5. Saul-Virginia

Terry is reckless and has contributed to the failure of the Clinton bid for president whilst he tried to position himself for this run. All the posturing during the primaries even when it was apparent that Hillary lost was orchestrated by him, and most importantly he has disrespected the voters. I am an independent leading democratic but will never vote for him!!

January 4, 2009 11:19 am at 11:19 am |
  6. JFK

Good for Terry!

January 4, 2009 11:22 am at 11:22 am |
  7. Noel

I don't know if this guy has a very good chance of being elected Virginia governor. During the democratic primaries, Barack won Virigina approximentaly 63%- 35%. Also, even if he is the nominne for the job, this republican may have some strong-holds being the Virginia's attorney general, of course. But if he is nominated, he may have a chance due to the new democratic order of Virgina. I predict that his fellow democratic competitors will give him a good fight.

January 4, 2009 11:25 am at 11:25 am |
  8. Texas Teacher

Obviously, since I supported both Hillary Clinton and then Barack Obama, I believe that Terry McAuliffe would be an excellent choice for Va. Gov. We need more and poor politicians who share the policies of our President and cabinet. In that way, we will accomplish the goals of this administration in a timely manner. This has to be about all the People... not just a portion of the People. As frustrated as I am with Republican style politics, and therefore, Republicans in General; I know that we have to find a way to come together and make this country work again! We must come together and support Obama and his administration in order to make this a better place for our children and grandchildren. Th

January 4, 2009 11:26 am at 11:26 am |
  9. Northern Virginia Voter

Being talkative big mouth does not qualify Terry to run for governor. He ran the worst campaign in a very favorable environment for Clinton. I don't trust him one bit as a democrat. He has delibrately mislead people numerous times during the primaries and should not be rewarded with the governor position in virginia. He refused to throw his support behind Obama as the democratic Nominee. We did not forget and he will be held accoutable. I wish Tim could stay or run again.

January 4, 2009 11:32 am at 11:32 am |
  10. clifford

Proud American: My mother is political science professor at a major New York (blue state) university !! That's why I knows what I knows!!

January 4, 2009 11:35 am at 11:35 am |
  11. Rob

Another power hungry Clintonista! Only after they have sunk the ship will these ones abandon it.

January 4, 2009 11:35 am at 11:35 am |
  12. Texas Teacher

I think that with the support Obama has... over 75%... that Terry has an excellent chance of being elected! We have to dig ourselves out of this abyss we are in! The Obama does the more like minded Democrats will be able to ride his coat tail into office. And I'm all for that!

January 4, 2009 11:38 am at 11:38 am |
  13. Texas Teacher

Dang... of course, she meant the BETTER Obama does.... 🙁

January 4, 2009 11:39 am at 11:39 am |
  14. clifford

Now we need the Republican party more than ever to keep these tax and yet tax again and spend Liberals in check! Thank God the Republican's have the filibuster!!

January 4, 2009 11:40 am at 11:40 am |
  15. Bill Clinton

"Give me a break!! this is the biggest fairy tail i have ever seen".
    I live in Virginia and Terry will not be my governor. He got really carried away in this past election and has said some thoughless things. Its our time to return the favor. What goes around comes around.

January 4, 2009 11:40 am at 11:40 am |
  16. Kaci

I certainly hope the good people of Virginia cast their votes wisely on this one. As Mr. McAuliffe sits prepared to co-opt PE Obama's message for his campaign, it would be smart for Virginians to go back and take a look at what Mr. McAuliffe has actually SAID over the years, what he's done while head of the DNC, etc. I think that in addition to "stealing" Obama's message, they will see him as one of the most divisive Democrats to ever grace the national stage.

January 4, 2009 11:45 am at 11:45 am |
  17. Texas Teacher

I'm watching Wolf right now.... and the interview with the president of Israel. I truly think it only makes sense that if someone is firing bombs into your country day after day afte day that that country will strick back. I am stunned that Israel has waited this long.

How long would we wait, if some militant group in Mexico or Canada began firing into our country in this manner? We would wage all out war! Let's get real... I mean seriously! We may not like the innocents who are being killed, but we would stop the attacks Post Hast!

Good program, Wolf... I love CNN even if I do not agree all the time. 🙂

January 4, 2009 11:45 am at 11:45 am |
  18. steve

What the Blago affair in Illinois has exposed is the institutional racism in the leadership of the democratic senate giving Harry Reid's pressuring the Gov not to appoint 3 black politician for the vacant senate seat but rather 2 white women would be acceptable by him.
    He has a conflict of interest and his continued resistance to Roland Buris makes him look bad politically.
    They should seat this Honorable man and resolve the flailing economy.
    Harry praised convicted Ted stevens in the senate floor but can't allow Roland buris who is legally appointed by a sitting Gov the opportunity to be seated in the senate . That picture might destroy the democratic party for years to come.
    The AA has been the solid base of the party and they should be wise not to fracture that coalition.

January 4, 2009 11:47 am at 11:47 am |
  19. Jason

I don't know how good he would be at actually holding office, but this guy's entire life has revolved around campaigns. Even though he hasn't won every battle, this guy is a veteran when it comes to elections. If an African-American from Illinois can win Virginia, then there is no reason why a Catholic man from Syracuse can't do the same.

January 4, 2009 11:51 am at 11:51 am |
  20. Blue Stater

Didn't Blagojevich teach us anything about dem governors?

January 4, 2009 11:54 am at 11:54 am |
  21. Godluvr

Good luck?

January 4, 2009 11:55 am at 11:55 am |
  22. Dave

Virginia's state and local governments are chronically underfunded against budgetary commitments. Promising more government services without a tax increase is unsustainable–and dishonest. Unlike the Federal government, we don't print our own money....

The fundamental problem is no one wants to make (and take the political fallout for) the hard choices and properly size government spending against tax revenues, much less figure out what services government really should be providing. This isn't unique to Virginia, however.

January 4, 2009 11:57 am at 11:57 am |
  23. P.Barman

Keep Terry in the game and it will put our friend Allen in commonwealth governership and put Virginia in Republican column.

January 4, 2009 11:58 am at 11:58 am |
  24. Anthony

What is Jindal doing in weighing in on the VA governors race? There is way too much for him to do in Louisiana for Bobby to be running around the country dealing with other states. Jindal should be evaluated by how New Orleans recovers under his administration.

January 4, 2009 12:03 pm at 12:03 pm |
  25. wisocn

Sorry that was Sandy Berger, must have mistaken the unisex name.

January 4, 2009 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |