January 4th, 2009

Longtime Clinton aide says he'll run for VA governor

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/images/01/04/art.terryvid0104.yt.jpg caption="Terry McAuliffe, a longtime aide to the Clintons, made an announcement about his own political future in an online video released Saturday evening."]
WASHINGTON (CNN) – After years at the side of Bill and Hillary Clinton, Terry McAuliffe told supporters Saturday night that he intends to run for Virginia’s highest political office.

“On January 7, I will announce my candidacy for the governor of Virginia,” McAuliffe said in a video e-mailed Saturday evening and posted on terrymcauliffe.com.

“As governor, I’ll make it my job to protect your job, grow this economy, make Virginia a leader in renewable energy, focus on long term transportation solutions, and give our children the best education so they have a chance to pursue the American dream right here in Virginia,” McAuliffe says as he looks directly at the camera.

Striking a theme reminiscent of President-elect Barack Obama’s presidential campaign, McAuliffe told supporters, “When it comes to fixing our economy, there’s no such thing as a Republican job or a Democratic job.”

“It’s about bringing people together create good jobs. That’s the kind of leadership I believe in.” he added.

The formal announcement of McAuliffe’s candidacy has been expected for some time. McAuliffe, a longtime aide of both former President Bill Clinton and Sen. Hillary Clinton, most recently served as the national chairman of Hillary Clinton’s presidential campaign.

Virginia Republicans have nominated Robert McDonnell, the state’s Attorney General, to try to reclaim control of Richmond for the GOP. McDonnell has already been endorsed by Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal.

McAuliffe faces primary competition from at least two fellow Democrats: state Sen. Creigh Deeds and Brian Moran, a member of the state House of Delegates and the chairman of the House Democratic Caucus, also have announced their candidacies for governor.

Filed under: Popular Posts • Terry McAuliffe
  1. Phil S.

Terry McAuliffe symbolizes everything that's wrong about Democratic party politics. He was the incessant, whining, divisive voice behind Hillary's campaign meltdown and head of the DNC when Kerry refused to take on the Swift Boaters. Obama's the start of a bolder Democratic party, and McAuliffe and his weak, weasely, conniving old guard need to hit the road.

January 4, 2009 12:45 pm at 12:45 pm |
  2. Denise

What happened to Kane? Has he served two terms already? As long as a Dem wins, I do not care. I read where the GOP are salivating at the prospect of gaining control of the Governorship in VA.

January 4, 2009 12:45 pm at 12:45 pm |
  3. Mike

What a shocker! Another Clintonista trying to get to the public trough. Bet he dodged sniper fire as well.

January 4, 2009 12:45 pm at 12:45 pm |
  4. SMR

Mr. Bill Clinton was a great President and he will make a great Governor for Virginia. He is a expert at the economy issuesand job creation. He will balance their budget and make important changes for the long run. He has learned from the past ( bj ) and will never go their again. you haters are just so sad, the great work he did to leave a surplus for W

January 4, 2009 12:49 pm at 12:49 pm |
  5. gregg45

texas teacher,,, i have seen your comments, for the past year,,,i want to say ,, i am thankful u were not mine,,, u lie every time.. who knows. it was maybe you on that knoll,, as i said , lucky you

January 4, 2009 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |
  6. Last Honest Man

Laughable

January 4, 2009 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |
  7. Jimmie

Terry McAuliffe is a partisan politician and I'm sick of those guys. He was chairman of the DNC for god's sake. Tim Kaine has just been an awful Governor. I was proud of the accomplishments from Allen and Warner, but Kaine is just dreadful. If he plans to continue Kaine's policies and not work with Republicans and Independents then I have no use for him.

Deeds and Moran are almost no better. I voted for Bob McDonnell over Deeds in 2005 when he ran for Attorney General and I plan to again if he receives the Democrat's nomination. Moran is a strong supporter of any Democrat, no matter what, and that bothers me.

During his tenure as Attorney General, Republican Bob McDonnell has been a great bipartisan leader and I'm happy that I voted for him in . He'll make an absolutely fabulous Governor of Virginia. He's very bipartisan and he's a strong and capable man.

I look forward to McDonnell beating any of these loser's butts in 2009!

McDONNELL FOR VA GOVERNOR!

January 4, 2009 12:53 pm at 12:53 pm |
  8. Sheila the mum

Way to go Terry ...

January 4, 2009 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |
  9. john

After what he pulled in the election...as a dem i wouldnt vote for him ...he tried his best to destroy the party...shoot him down in the primary Virginians!

January 4, 2009 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |
  10. TrueIndependent

The average Virginian is more educated than the average American. The people of VA don't like incompetence. Terry McAuliffe is incompetent and therefore will not carry VA.

January 4, 2009 12:57 pm at 12:57 pm |
  11. Mesa Mick

During the campaign McA proved to be an "I'm right-you're wrong" idealogue right up there with the likes of any evangelical right-winger. Anybody that would vote for this kind of delusional personality should have their heads examined as well...

January 4, 2009 12:59 pm at 12:59 pm |
  12. Dublin Joe

Terry turned the DNC into a cash machine that lobbyists could deposit millions into and withdraw lots of favours. He's exactly the kind of Dem who I hope becomes obsolete now that the Clintons have lost.

January 4, 2009 01:03 pm at 1:03 pm |
  13. Marie

As a resident of Northern Virginia, a Democratic Party strong hold, I think he will have a hard time winning. I am an Independent who voted for Obama but I am not sure McAuliffe will be able to sway the voters the way Obama did.

January 4, 2009 01:03 pm at 1:03 pm |
  14. Proud American

Good America can sure use you..

January 4, 2009 01:04 pm at 1:04 pm |
  15. karen

Terry, I supported Senator Clinton and I have followed you for some time now. I don't give my vote easily, but as a VA Resident. I will certainly research your credentials and listen to what you have to say as I always do with whatever candidate I end up voting for. Good Luck.

January 4, 2009 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  16. Sarge in Florida

You people that are slamming Terry, no nothing of him. He wasn't the cause of Hillary losing to Obama. People just didn't want another Clinton in the White House so get over yourselves. If you think you can do a better job then it's your right to run for office. Just like I don't want Jeb Bush to run for the Senate seat that Martinez is giving up. Another Bush even near the White House makes my blood run cold and I live in Florida. People!!!!!! boycott Florida if Jeb runs for the Senate. He has plans to run for the President in 2016..After he left the Florida school system in a horrible mess and the financial mess. He went to work for a consulting firm that got bailout money from the Government...NO TO ANOTHER BUSH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

January 4, 2009 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  17. Friend of Bill Clinton

This makes him qualified he worked for the Clintons,? Of late the bar has been really lowered for who is qualified for public office.

January 4, 2009 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  18. Proud American

Rob Stumpf = Let's all pray for this little Idiot.

January 4, 2009 01:13 pm at 1:13 pm |
  19. sandee in Portland

Why anyone would vote for Terry is beyond me. If he couldn't run a campaign, what makes him think he can run a state. Clinton's campaign still owes a huge amount of money. I don't think the people of Viriginia will want a governor who makes mistakes of the magnitute that he made while running Hillary's campaign. Oh, wait a minute, maybe he did such a poor job because he was too busy thinking about his own candidacy?

January 4, 2009 01:16 pm at 1:16 pm |
  20. Debby, NJ

What a disaster...No thank you Mr. McAuliffe I don't think you will work ...try something else to fail at.

January 4, 2009 01:16 pm at 1:16 pm |
  21. Proud American

I"m still a little disappoint with this guy for his behavior and comments at the democrat rules committe meeting last summer. I believe a lot of his comments about the President Elect will come back to haunt him. Just because you ran as a democract dosen't mean democrats are going to vote for you.

January 4, 2009 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  22. GuyInVA

Did he just announce that he will later announce his candidacy for VA governor?

January 4, 2009 01:19 pm at 1:19 pm |
  23. Mike, Syracuse NY

McAuliffe's attempt to pretend to be bipartisan is a joke. He comes from Syracuse, and is just about the most partisan person in the country, after of course James Carvel.

Texas Teacher January 4th, 2009 11:26 am ET
    As frustrated as I am with Republican style politics....

I suppose you prefer Blago's Democratic style? Just for acedemic interest, did you 'come together' and support Bush when he was elected in 2000, or were you part of the delusion 'he stole the election' clan?

January 4, 2009 01:21 pm at 1:21 pm |
  24. Bill

I'm a Democratic supporter, but I think McAuliffe is a douch.

January 4, 2009 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  25. Coby

Mr. McAuliffe is one of the most hyper-partisan, vitriolic men out there. I see no way he can be elected to office; he's just not attractive as a candidate, especially in a state like VA.

January 4, 2009 01:23 pm at 1:23 pm |