January 4th, 2009

Obama: 'I choked up'

President-elect Obama told reporters he got a little emotion Sunday as he left Chicago to move to Washington.

(CNN) – President-elect Barack Obama showed a little of his softer side as he said his goodbyes to Chicago, the city that launched his political career, and headed to Washington to join his wife and two daughters.

“I choked up a little bit leaving my house today,” Obama told reporters as his flight prepared to depart.

The moment was brought on by a reminder of the years Obama and his family spent in the Windy City.

The president-elect told his traveling press corps that he got emotional because a friend of his oldest daughter, Malia, had dropped off a scrapbook of pictures to the Obama’s Chicago home.

“They had been friends since preschool and I just looked through the pages and the house was empty and it was a little tough,” Obama said. “It got me.”

The president-elect did not linger long enough to take any questions from reporters. Instead, he returned to his cabin in the aircraft where he ordered a cheeseburger and fries, according to Obama spokesman Robert Gibbs.

Before leaving Chicago, Obama also met Air Force Col. Scott Turner, who will pilot Air Force One once Obama is inaugurated.

“I am looking forward to seeing you guys in Washington,” Obama also told reporters before they boarded the plane.

WATCH: Obama lands in Washington

1. German,Irish American

Harry- Rev. Wright, Harry Reid or KKK member and Democrat Senator Robert Byrd, have not posted on this site, so no racism. Also its refreshing to read one site glorifing "THE ONE" without having to listen to the bigots spew hate speech at the Palin family by calling them white trailer trash.

January 4, 2009 09:43 pm at 9:43 pm |
  2. Irving, TX - Loves President Obama

May God protect you Mr. Obama from the haters in the world. My family and I will be praying for you and your families protection daily. As the Bible states no weapons formed against you shall not prosper.

I am so excited about the you moving to Washington and taking the country by storm and moving America to the next level I don't know what to do.

America get ready, President Obama is on the way to help us ALL!

We Love you in TX

January 4, 2009 09:46 pm at 9:46 pm |
  3. Chris E

Good luck in your new home, We need you in DC bad and we pray and hope you can make a differnet. Remember you can visit your home

January 4, 2009 09:46 pm at 9:46 pm |
  4. CLINTON

bhkcpa January 4th, 2009 9:14 pm ET

Be prepared to see the most corrupt administration ever to set foot in DC.

bhkcpa YOU CAN'T BE SERIOUS ...

January 4, 2009 09:46 pm at 9:46 pm |
  5. MI blogger

bhkcpa January 4th, 2009 9:14 pm ET

Be prepared to see the most corrupt administration ever to set foot in DC.

***************************

LMAO!! Is your comment for real???? Have you been under a rock for the past 8 years of the Cheney-Bush Corruption Show????

January 4, 2009 09:48 pm at 9:48 pm |
  6. Tolu, in Minneapolis

Obama has two daughter, so it should be the "a friend of his 'older' daughter ...," not "a friend of his 'oldest' daughter, Malia, ..."

January 4, 2009 09:49 pm at 9:49 pm |
  7. MI blogger

Lee January 4th, 2009 7:26 pm ET

Yeah, I kind of choked up too when he left Chicago because it means he's actually going to be President. Kind of made me puke.

*****************************

I almost feel sorry for people like you. I guess if you don't like America you could always move to Mexico or Canada. Maybe their leader won't make you puke.

January 4, 2009 09:49 pm at 9:49 pm |
  8. MD

May God bless and keep the President Elect. Personally I like that he knows how and when to show some real emotion and when to show strength.

As the gospel song goes "Stand still and know that he is God, there's no need to fight, for the the battle is not yours, the battle is the Lord's."

January 4, 2009 09:50 pm at 9:50 pm |
  9. Jezuth Cries

(To all of right wing "special children" below) For the record, I have not since the beginning of time stated that the two issues of GAY MARRIAGE and ABORTION are the hard and fast means to determine who is and who ISN'T a Christian!

There are so many things that I state in my Word, the Commandments, etc ...and I hate to tell you this, but... YOU do not meet the standard. Do me a big favor will you? Let me reserve the right to determine who the real Christians are will you?? I'll sort it out in due time. You are but a fallible human with your own prejudices and interpretations. How about keeping my commandments to prove that YOU love me? Let's start with the all important one of loving thy neighbor? How about doing for the least of these, because after all ....that's the same that you are doing unto me in the process.

I've been watching the many ills you have inflicted on individuals, peoples and nations in my name. You can trust that you will answer for it, just as those you are in conflict with over these two issues will answer for their actions.. or inaction.

January 4, 2009 09:50 pm at 9:50 pm |
  10. GO GET A LIFE

My oh my you Obama haters are back again from whatever rocks you crawlwed out from.He will be YOUR president and there's nothing you can do but keep whining like a bunch of losers.Oh and Ken H you better hope that he doesn't fall flat on his decieving face as you put it because we need Obama to restore what we've lost in the past eight years in this country if that is at all possible and if it is restored Obama will be the one to do so .Oh and by the way what faith are you because the last time I heard you can be of christian faith but not have the same beliefs... Christian Science is a faith and their faith of healing is through God not professional medical treatment so does that make them not a christian.And as far as Obama supporting abortion and gay rights even though there are millions that share his beliefs it is not you that shall judge him it is God....PS in the future check your spelling ...it's hope not hoe you HOE

January 4, 2009 09:50 pm at 9:50 pm |
  11. jean

Welcome to Washington D.C.

Best wishes for a wonderful day for Sasha and Malia's first day in their D. C. school. I'm sure they will do beautifully.

Hugs and kisses to the girls.

January 4, 2009 09:51 pm at 9:51 pm |
  12. MI blogger

BluesBrothers – I totally agree with you. This is such a divided country and the haters keep on hating.

Amazingly enough, people like Hannity and Limbaugh actually like to keep spreading the hate. It keeps their ratings up.

January 4, 2009 09:51 pm at 9:51 pm |
  13. landandair

A majority of Americans claim to be christians, but there are some very un-christian like attitudes/ comments coming from the same. Prior to Bush, things were perfert, but over the last 8 years, we saw the constitution trampled on,illegal wiretappes, Haliburton profit , Blackwarter crime and Scooter evade justice. We saw the invasion of Iraq and trillons in tax dollars spent on it. So I think we have already seen the most corrupt adminstration in history and I could just puke.

In a true Christian manner, let me say God Bless America and God Bless the President Elect ( by the people and for the people) Obama.

January 4, 2009 09:52 pm at 9:52 pm |
  14. ben

Some people don't even know when elections are over and time to move on!!

January 4, 2009 09:52 pm at 9:52 pm |
  15. Alan St Lois MO

((Lee January 4th, 2009 7:26 pm ET

Yeah, I kind of choked up too when he left Chicago because it means he's actually going to be President. Kind of made me puke))

Typical red neck trash. People like you make our country week. Please go back to your trailer with your sister (WIFE) and keep your hate to your self.

January 4, 2009 09:52 pm at 9:52 pm |
  16. Derrick

When things do (eventually) turn around as a result of policies put in place by Obama's Presidency, I wonder what all the "haters" will be complaining about then? Too much money for Christmas? Too strong a sense of job security? Too great a sense that their financial future is solid?

I'm thinking it'll be reduced to stuff like, "I still don't like the way he walks" or "Look at that arrogant look on his face" or "Yeah....well......he's STILL muslim".

I love (some) Appalacians and Southerners for their foolish humor sometimes.

January 4, 2009 09:53 pm at 9:53 pm |
  17. irakwarno4americans

MR. PRESIDENT ,GOD BLESS YOU AND YOUR FAMILY .

January 4, 2009 09:53 pm at 9:53 pm |
  18. Ray Cardamone

This is perhaps the only and last chance we have to turn this country
    around. We really are in deep trouble! For anyone to wish harm or failure on Mr. Obama absolutely blows me away. This country stays divided and we WILL fail.To guys like Ken and Lee on this blog: I nearly died in the military to defend your freedom-If you honestly believe what you are saying here, then you don't deserve anything great that freedom brings.LET IT GO! Your hearts are filled with hatred.
    Get on your knees and pray-The Lord can heal your bitter souls.

January 4, 2009 09:53 pm at 9:53 pm |
  19. mike

So happy and excited!!!!!

January 4, 2009 09:53 pm at 9:53 pm |
  20. landandair

I meant to say things were NOT perfect prior to Bush.

January 4, 2009 09:53 pm at 9:53 pm |
  21. john

obamas shouldn't move into the white house until its been blessed, all the demons exorcised and properly aired. i'm not afraid of lincoln's ghost, but of bush and cheney's second hand breath.

January 4, 2009 09:54 pm at 9:54 pm |
  22. nick

John,

They should have a Sage Burning Ritual around the perimeter.
    Destroying all the negative fung shui.

January 4, 2009 09:55 pm at 9:55 pm |
  23. ken

HEY BUSH.....GET OUT OF OBAMA'S HOUSE!

January 4, 2009 09:57 pm at 9:57 pm |
  24. Joel

Bush's should be staying in the hotel.
    They don't deserve another day in the White House.

January 4, 2009 09:57 pm at 9:57 pm |
  25. Mike

WELCOME, We are waiting for you Mr. President!!

for the knuckleheads that are writing stupid comments, we have had enough of you and BUSH.

January 4, 2009 09:58 pm at 9:58 pm |