January 5th, 2009

Sources: Panetta is pick for CIA

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/images/01/05/art.getty.leon.panetta.jpg caption="Former White House Chief of Staff Leon Panetta will be chosen to head the CIA, sources say."]WASHINGTON (CNN) - Leon Panetta, chief of staff in Bill Clinton's White House, will be President-elect Barack Obama's choice to head the CIA, two Democratic officials told CNN Monday.

The same officials said that retired Adm. Dennis Blair, who formerly headed the Navy's Pacific Command, will be tapped as director of national intelligence.

Filed under: Leon Panetta
  1. Brandon

I thought Obama said the problem of America started from 1992.

January 5, 2009 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  2. Willy Brown

This isn’t change; this is the Clinton Administration 2009 edition back to rewrite Bill Clinton Legacy. Get a new lock on the National Archives building!

January 5, 2009 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  3. Patrick - Indianapolis

Kevin in Ohio:

They were just about to pick you to head the CIA but then they realized you know nothing of politics.

Of course, thats a joke, but the point is that Change is not about finding brand new people but placing the best of the best around a guy who shows leadership skills.

Kevin, please show just a little bit of intelligence before posting something ignorant.

January 5, 2009 03:30 pm at 3:30 pm |
  4. Myrna Ulrich

I agree with Kevin in Ohio, I am in Wisconsin, ! I am so DONE with Obama and the sleezebags Clintons !!! THIS IS NOT THE CHANGE I WAS LOOKING FOR, AND I WILL BE VERY HARD PRESSED TO EVER VOTE IN THIS COUNTRY AGAIN ! I AM SO DONE WITH POLITICIANS...

January 5, 2009 03:30 pm at 3:30 pm |
  5. Will-South Dakota

All good news for America.

January 5, 2009 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  6. lonnette33

Panetta's experience is in economics and budgets-where does intelligence fall in there. This is a very weird appointment.

January 5, 2009 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  7. mary, colorado springs

President-Elect Obama is choosing wisely in his choice of people to his cabinet and staff. He has chosen people who have talents known for man years; ie, Leon Panetta, who has served this country well in the past. It is heartening to see President Obama reach back to wherever he desires to get the best available individuals. By 20 January when he is sworn in as President, he will be ready to go into action.I feel very optimist about this administration.

January 5, 2009 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  8. Teacher in CA

Leon is a fantastic man who has done so much for my community for many, many years and I'm excited Obama has him on board. What a surprise.

January 5, 2009 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  9. sandee in Portland

kudos to PE Obama for picking experienced people. To all of you who keep saying people that were involved in the Clinton era represents no change, stop and think about it. Who in the world in politics, unless they're a newbie, hasn't been involved in someone's administration previously. The change for Obama will be in the way he governs our great country and that includes selecting people who are known for their intelligence.

January 5, 2009 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |
  10. Brian - Trinidad

Another celebrity name from the Clinton White House! And this is the change that the Messiah promised?

January 5, 2009 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  11. Kimn8R

We, the citizens, don't get to vote on these appointments, and there is a very good reason it is that way. The process would take months of valuable time that the administration needs for myriad pressing issues.

January 5, 2009 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  12. S.B. Stein E.B. NJ

Does anyone know what spy background he has? This has to be more than an administrator role.

January 5, 2009 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  13. IMO - Michigan

Kevin in Ohio, your constant Republican ranting is getting old. Do you have anything constructive or are we going have to continue to listen to your regurgitated Rush Limbaugh talking points?

January 5, 2009 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |
  14. rich

To RJ of Phoenix: It's too early to give an accessment of change in Washington. I believe the change America was seeking was moslty in the direction of the country and Bush & his ilk. Not because Obama has recommended appointments from people from prior administrations means change will not be forthcoming. If you think of it, it would be political malpractice to put the average joe from the street like you and me in these positons. I dont know squat about running no government, and I would not expect Obama to appointment me to any government office just to make a symbolic statement that change has arrived. Change will be measured in the new direction the country will take, and the new policies of the Obama administration. Looking at indiviudal appointment is misguided.

January 5, 2009 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |
  15. California Gold

I'm familiar with Leon Panetta and have had dealings with his office. He's a good man, a good mind, with a hard earned, sterling reputation. LP has been in politics for years, is well respected on both sides of the aisle and I find this to be a solid appointment. The fact Leon Panetta has agreed to accept the offer for appointment by President Elect Obama speaks of Panetta's high regard of Obama. LP isn't a wanna be beginner. LP is worthy of trust.

January 5, 2009 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |
  16. Hammer

A remake of the Clinton farce.

January 5, 2009 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |
  17. PJ, Bethesda MD

I guess RJ is still sore about the elections.
    Regardless of who sits in the new cabinet, only their action (come Jan 20 and beyond) is what counts. I am at least glad the gangsta's are leaving town.

January 5, 2009 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  18. ANGIE

Rather have Clintonites then Bushies anyday!!

January 5, 2009 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  19. A.P

Change Everything Change Change will come from the way. Obama I love you, I hope, You are the bast person for the country. What going on. What about Richardson, Please I need real Obama.not >>>>>.....

January 5, 2009 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  20. alvino

RJ-

Even when you experience the change we can believe in over the next 4 years, you still won't acknowledge it.

January 5, 2009 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  21. a new year

Only time will tell if these people can get the job done.

January 5, 2009 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  22. jrzshor

oh so strangd.

we elected obama and get clinton (bill) lite.

so why did we not for clinton (hillary) in the first place?

January 5, 2009 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  23. Iowa Mom4

To date, exactly what of the same have you seen?? Oh, I know, more of the same Bush failure and you will keep seeing this until day one after inauguration!

January 5, 2009 03:44 pm at 3:44 pm |
  24. Dallas, TX

This is not change...it's just more of the same of Dems grasping at what they can get from themselves. People will soon discover that life is not going to be that different when President-elect Obama takes office.

January 5, 2009 03:44 pm at 3:44 pm |
  25. jrzshor

gina.

"change will come from the way Mr Obama will govern"

his choices ARE the way he will govern!!

January 5, 2009 03:44 pm at 3:44 pm |