January 7th, 2009

Congressional Black Caucus says Burris should be seated

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/images/01/07/art.getty.barbara.lee.jpg caption=" CBC Chairwoman Barbara Lee told reporters the caucus will put out a statement informing the Senate of their decision to support Roland Burris."]
WASHINGTON (CNN) - The Congressional Black Caucus just finished meeting and voted unanimously to support Roland Burris.

Rep Barbara Lee, D-California, CBC Chairwoman told reporters the caucus will put out a statement soon and inform the Senate of its decision.

1. Steve in DC

I'm black and think Burris should not be seated. He should be ashamed of himself for allowing that creep to use him as a pawn in his silly little game.

January 7, 2009 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  2. George

It is about race. Now to be white or anti Obama is the same as being a nazi

January 7, 2009 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  3. Marquis from Bowling Green, ky

I'm black and think this is utterly stupid. Congress made it clear to Blago not to seat anyone. In Blago's case, he must think he's above the government with the Burris pick (hence trying to sell the seat). And for Burris, he knew there was an investigation going on with the appointee. So why would you get yourself involved? And then immediately make it a racial issue. This doesn't make any sense!! I'm ashamed this has become a raceissue.

January 7, 2009 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  4. rohan

Oh nooo CBC. You should keep sleeping like a baby on this one. This is a simple legal issue that some feather-mouth guys blow out of proportion. Keep sleeping CBC.

January 7, 2009 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  5. Kathy

CBC, NAACP and all those racist organizations need to be banned. The only thing they are good for is creating racism. Get over it. Anytime one of these groups don't get their way, it's always about race. Come on!!! This is nonsense

January 7, 2009 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  6. WOC2009

Folks, this is an excerpt from an interview with Wolf Blitzer

Wolf Blitzer: ...have you been in touch with the Illinois secretary of state[Jesse White] and asked that that certificate be signed?

Burris: Oh, well, yes, I talked with the secretary of state beforehand. He advised that because of his commitment to the people that he had said he would not sign it. And so I certainly respect his position though I disagree with his position. And we are hoping then that the supreme court will cause that matter to take place.

Folks this is NOT a racial issue. The CBC's support doesn't make it so... How ludicrous is it that after everything this country has been through in terms of race and inequality, you could even question relevance of the CBC, NAACP, or any group that supports the end of any overt or covert injustice of any racial or social group?

January 7, 2009 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  7. chad

It is amazing how one criminal mind can touch everyone. We were taught in childhood that our actions have consequences that touch everyone. There truly is six degrees of seperation between us all. Blagos antics are snowballing right through the government and media. He has set off a domino effect with his malfeasance and forced the hands and reputations of our truly elected officials in the Senate. It is sad that he would use a 71 year old man as one of his pawns. Evil, ingnorance and injustice always have a direct line to power.

January 7, 2009 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  8. Great American

The Senate should properly response with an emphatic "No Way!"

Now isn't this sooooo transparent? Please do not treat us differently because of our skin color, but please allow us to break the law and give us preferential treatment and jobs because of our skin color???? It's time to stop the hand-outs – what is good and right for one color person is good and right for all – no more freebies!!!

January 7, 2009 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  9. Slider

I am laughing in the face of every leftist on this forum. The CBC is your constituency. Enjoy!

You deserve each other.

January 7, 2009 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  10. Mike, Syracuse NY

@Isaac, I have to agree with Matt. Slavery of blacks by other blacks existed in Africa long before there was a US. Most blacks sold into slavery were sold by other blacks.

@Bridgette-PA. I'm not throwing AA's under the bus. I'm throwing the Black Caucus under the bus. Big difference. It seems that most self-identified AA's commenting here are embarrased by the vote, which is good. It does show the large gap with the black 'leadership' in Congress. By the way, why is the term AA's? My grandparents were from Poland, but I'm not Polish-American, I'm American. Why do African Americans need the modifier? Want to be treated the same, stop acting different. George Carlin's line comes to mind: "just happens to be..." How about Americans who just happen to be black?

January 7, 2009 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  11. closet republican

coming from a black woman....THIS IS CRAP!

January 7, 2009 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |
  12. Baze

To Black Observer:

Shut up. That song and dance is tired.

January 7, 2009 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  13. TESAP;SAVANNAH, GA

OH PLEASE.......... as a black woman may I say the the CBC shut up..... this has nothing to do with his race and none of us in the public will stand with you on this... BURRIS SHOULD HAVE BEEN A REAL MAN AND SAID THANKS BUT NO THANKS.... HE COMMENETED ON THE SCANDAL AND THEN ACCEPTS THE POSITION... IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH RACE BUT WITH JUDGEMENT.............

January 7, 2009 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  14. Independent_me

The Democrats certainly do not have the balls or the finesse of the Republicans. They screwed up this whole Burris thing. And now a conservative group is suing Congress to seat Burris! Talk about using an opportunity to shame the Democrats and make them look like a bunch of idiotic racists!

How could they have been so S-T-U-P-I-D???? Harry Reid should be thrown out!!!

God help poor Obama if these are the idiots that he'll have to depend on to change this country around!!!!

January 7, 2009 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  15. AndyL

Barrack said "it's a senate matter and I will work with Burris if seated". Isn't that like voting present?

January 7, 2009 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  16. Mike, Syracuse NY

Here's a solution: Seat Burris but tell him he can only vote 'present' until 2010.

January 7, 2009 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  17. AndyL

If they have such a thing as a "Black Causcus", I think we need to get Tiger Woods off the courses!

January 7, 2009 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  18. GObama

I agree one hundred percent with Senate Democrats. It is not that Roland Burris is the problem, it is Blagojevich. If they let Roland Burris take that seat, the Republicans are going to target it extensively for 2010, and they will win it. Due to all the controversey, the Republicans will win that seat. The people didn't get to pick Burris, Blagojevich did, and thats the case they will make against him. Also the guy is 71 years old, I mean some of the greatest senators ever have all been above 70, but couldn't Blagojecich pick somebody just as qualified 20 years younger? The Republicans will throw some young, charismatic hopeful at that seat, and they will win it. If Roland Burris is seated it should only be for two years so the Democrats have an honest shot at holding on to the seat.

January 7, 2009 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |
  19. Matt in CT

Wow, big surprise that the Congressional Black Caucus is in favor of Burris – HUGE news item.

January 7, 2009 05:02 pm at 5:02 pm |
  20. Jean2

I AM BLACK AND THINK THE BLACK CAUCUS HAS OUT LIVED IT'S USEFULNESS.

I AM TIRED OF RACE RACE RACE!!

January 7, 2009 05:05 pm at 5:05 pm |
  21. Laine, MO

Burris is an opportunist who hit the jackpot. He couldn't win the election on his own, so he had to sneak in through the back door. Rod Blagojevich is laughing his head off. He's smarter than everyone gives him credit for.

I can't figure out why it's so difficult to tell a black man no. Right and wrong have nothing to do with his color. I'm black and I disagree with Barack, the black Caucus and Reid on this one. That man should have been sent home packing and if anyone thinks it's racist, so be it.

January 7, 2009 05:11 pm at 5:11 pm |
  22. Erika, KS

Wrong! Obama DID play the race card. In the primaries, every time someone said something he didn't like, he turned around and questioned their views on race. He made innuendo about the opponent being racist.

Why is there even a Black Caucus around anymore? Is it necessary? My guess is that black people want to use this crutch to fall back on when it suits them.

January 7, 2009 05:16 pm at 5:16 pm |
  23. An American

I am originally from Illinois and currently reside in Arizona. I voted more than once for Burris. I happen to like him. However, I am sick and tired of the race card being played in order for any black person to get what they want. Is Burris qualified, sure, more than Caroline Kennedy, which I am also sick of her name being used to get what they want. Perhpas if America could just once get someone in office who does not have a gripe or agenda we could "change" government. Obama played the race card (even though he denies it) so I do not see him as a person of change either.

January 7, 2009 05:16 pm at 5:16 pm |
  24. Matt

@ Black Observer

"Many have sacrificed their lives for this day."

Yeah. Want to tell me the ratio of white to black people who have died to protect and secure the freedoms that allowed our country to eventually do the growing necessary that we now have a black president? I voted for Obama, but I'm not going to sit here silently and listen to someone spout off at the mouth as though nothing has changed or will ever change. At some point, everyone has to admit that both sides continuing to blabber about race only perpetuates the problem and stagnates our growth. It's time to move on, not cling.

January 7, 2009 05:17 pm at 5:17 pm |
  25. closet republican

@Mike, Syracuse NY

Given that I'm not from Africa, I just consider myself black. It's one of those PC things that has yet to really be decided. Alot of Native Americans are ok with being called Indians. Did you know that?

January 7, 2009 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |