January 8th, 2009

Panel recommends impeaching Blagojevich

Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich may face federal corruption charges.

Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich may face federal corruption charges.

(CNN) - An Illinois legislative committee Thursday unanimously recommended impeaching embattled Gov. Rod Blagojevich, who was arrested last month after federal prosecutors alleged, among other things, that he had tried to sell the Senate seat that President-elect Barack Obama has vacated.

The full state House of Representatives will consider the recommendation Friday.

The 21-member committee looked into Blagojevich's actions on a number of
issues beyond the federal allegations.

Updated 7 p.m.

Full story

Filed under: Rod Blagojevich
  1. Sherrol in Canada

And how long will that take? Yesterday isn't soon enough!!

January 8, 2009 06:55 pm at 6:55 pm |
  2. PJP in OK

1 down and a whole bunch more to go!!!!!

January 8, 2009 06:56 pm at 6:56 pm |
  3. boered1

expected after all why wait for facts when you can act on innuendo and suspician right?

idiots

January 8, 2009 06:56 pm at 6:56 pm |
  4. Griff

Lady????? Only males have "Three Legs"....

January 8, 2009 06:59 pm at 6:59 pm |
  5. damian

Good, rod is so guilty its scary. He's got guts not to resign, and he should spend time in prison.

January 8, 2009 07:00 pm at 7:00 pm |
  6. Proud American

I would swear this Idiot is a republican.

January 8, 2009 07:04 pm at 7:04 pm |
  7. MikeH

Yawn.

Blago talked profane corruption, I guess he can be impeached (indicted) for that.

But where's the evidence he actually broke the law. I think the guy is corrupt, but it appears the DA may have blown his case when he didn't bust Blago in the act of breaking the law.

The trial will tell all (hopefully).

January 8, 2009 07:09 pm at 7:09 pm |
  8. Lenny Schmitt

I have 9 employees and my business is booming. I quit school after the ninth grade and was in and out of jail, I was addicted to drugs and to make matter worse I was in a car accident that left me permanently disabled. Congressman Jessie Helms Ignored my past and gave me a fresh chance. That was years ago I now own my own business and my income is over $200, 000.00 a year. I recently authored and published two books. Tell me any contry in the world where a politician would offer his help to someone with my past. This is still the greatest country to live in, and we are the most forgiving people in the world. I fear our generation will be known as the bailout generation that never appreciated the country we live in.

January 8, 2009 07:11 pm at 7:11 pm |
  9. WCCH

Now, if they would have done this right after the governor's arrest, we wouldn't be going through this farce with Roland Burris. I thought that was the point of Patrick Fitzgerald coming out early with his charges, to stop the governor from making a corrupt appointment.

January 8, 2009 07:11 pm at 7:11 pm |
  10. Jewel, CT

Good idea, get going. This guy is a scumbag, send him to the Big House–now.

January 8, 2009 07:12 pm at 7:12 pm |
  11. Reg

What is it with these Illionis Governors!???? Oh well too bad we
    didn't have sixty votes in the Senate , cuz dubya would have had
    his little gonads in the same vice this phool is in!

Take the Money out of Politics & we'd be okay!

January 8, 2009 07:20 pm at 7:20 pm |
  12. Canada

I know the Palin comments are cut off but I can't help it! Yes, she's still talking and she talked plenty in an interview on Canada's CBC's program THE HOUR which aired New Years where she told George S. how she never for a minute thought she wasn't qualified for the position of VP. She's actually funnier than Tina I'd say, wouldn't you?

January 8, 2009 07:23 pm at 7:23 pm |
  13. Bewildered

My sweet Lord – just look at how you carry on about this subject. Such vile hurtful words flung by both sides of the political spectrum. As a citizen from outside your borders, I am near speechless, but wait...

Sarah's family shud be, as all political families, off limits, the press is slanted both ways – so deal with it, Obama won McCain lost – now stop the grade school mud slinging, and try to heal your country.

Without your help, Imperial Japan and or Nazi Germany and or the former Soviet Union would be stripping freedom everywhere.

You are the reason the worldis free, but your day in day out political sitcom must end. The rest of the world is changing the channel – please stop the bickering, and return to your place in history as the beacon of freedom, please...

January 8, 2009 07:24 pm at 7:24 pm |
  14. Matt

Blagojevich= Guilty of only one thing. Telling Barack Obama to go stick it.

January 8, 2009 07:31 pm at 7:31 pm |
  15. Moonbeam

Does anyone knows if it is a toupee or a small animal resting on top of his head?

January 8, 2009 07:33 pm at 7:33 pm |
  16. Flagship, NC

Get this guy off the streets (government) as soon as possible.
    He is a scumbag and has no business being in power.

January 8, 2009 07:43 pm at 7:43 pm |
  17. Griff

Who Care's. It can't help you America....He is just one Crook... Burrie's?? You are Tearing America Apart.... 250yrs... America what a short Kingdom....

January 8, 2009 07:44 pm at 7:44 pm |
  18. mary the clerk

Blago is a royal scumbag......he is truly pathetic. I almost hate him as much as I hate that bimbo Sarah Palin

January 8, 2009 07:47 pm at 7:47 pm |
  19. Albo58

Has the Congressional Black Caucus been consulted about this?#!

January 8, 2009 07:51 pm at 7:51 pm |
  20. DWoods

Very arrogant and self-centered is this man better qualifications. I have not seen any that illustrate he can govern anything.

January 8, 2009 08:02 pm at 8:02 pm |
  21. Texas Teacher

Lenny Schmitt... you were lucky... count your blessings.

January 8, 2009 08:04 pm at 8:04 pm |
  22. Meh

I recommend impeaching that thing growing on his head!

January 8, 2009 08:11 pm at 8:11 pm |
  23. janet, ohio

He look like a cabbage-patch doll mated with a Chuckie

January 8, 2009 08:15 pm at 8:15 pm |
  24. Miss Gracie

Aside from the crazy do and the claymation face....He's lying sack of dirt. I'll cheer at the Bon Voyage Party when he heads for the Big House.

January 8, 2009 08:34 pm at 8:34 pm |
  25. cate

Lenny Schmitt-your story is amazing, God Bless You!!! We need to hear more storeslike your's and less about ppl like Blago!!!! With Durbin and Obama coming out of IL politics as honest and forthright as they have, there is another lesson in how one's honor, reputation and integrity can't be taken away if they are truly a part of who they are!!!! I also give Sen. Durbin and PE Obama for rising above these snakes!!!! God Bless the USA

January 8, 2009 08:35 pm at 8:35 pm |