January 9th, 2009

Palin accuses media of 'personal, salacious' reporting

Palin lashed out at the media in a Friday statement.

Palin lashed out at the media in a Friday statement.

(CNN) - Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin’s office accused the media Friday of habitually taking her remarks out of context “to create adversarial situations,” and of pursuing “erroneous and often outrageous leads on a variety of non-issues.”

The statement also charged that some members of the media, including independent bloggers and the Atlantic, were continuing “to give credence to the sensational allegation that the governor’s child, Trig, is not hers.”

“As a public official, I expect criticism and I expect to be held accountable for how I govern,” Palin said in a statement released by her office Friday. “But the personal, salacious nature of recent reporting, and often the refusal of the media to correct obvious mistakes, unfortunately discredits too many in journalism today, making it difficult for many Americans to believe what they see in the media.”

Earlier: Palin takes digs at Fey, Couric

The governor also said press coverage had distorted her recent remarks about aspiring New York senator Caroline Kennedy. “I was not commenting at all on Caroline Kennedy as a prospective U.S. senator, but rather on the seemingly arbitrary ways in which news organizations determine the level and kind of scrutiny given to those who aspire to public office,” she said. “In fact, I consider Ms. Kennedy qualified and experienced, and she could serve New York well.”

In portions of an interview with conservative John Ziegler released Thursday, Palin said it would be “interesting” to see how coverage of Kennedy’s candidacy compared to her own media experience. “It’s going to be interesting to see how that plays out and I think that as we watch that we will perhaps be able to prove that there is a class issue here also that was such a factor in the scrutiny of my candidacy versus, say, the scrutiny of what her candidacy may be.”

Her office took particular issue with a Politico story that said Palin had called coverage of Kennedy to date too soft.

Palin’s office also charged that reporters were unfairly scrutinizing the governor and her family. “Just this week, false stories in the media surfaced alleging improper influence by the Palin administration or the governor herself,” they said in the Friday statement, pointing to a report by an Alaska paper on union charges that her administration had delayed serving an arrest warrant on the mother of Levi Johnston, fiance of Bristol Palin. Union officials later changed the substance of those allegations considerably.

Another report — that Johnston lacked the proper educational requirements for the position he held — resulted in his resignation from the job.

Filed under: Sarah Palin
soundoff (1,451 Responses)
  1. Jazz

Palin was stupid and didn't understand what it meant to run as Vice President. She was so big headed that she thought she had all the answers. Palin needs to be a mom to her baby and children and leave the Policital side alone. She will someday look back at how stupdi she was and what she said. She made a fool out of herself in the public and still is as of today.

January 9, 2009 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |
  2. Linda K.

She keeps complaining about how people brought her children into the campaign. But she's the one who paraded them on stage at the RNC. She took them out of school and sometimes used them as props–especially the baby. You can't have it both ways.

January 9, 2009 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |
  3. Jones

Sarah, don't mind what anyones says about you, govern your state well and take care of your family. Whatever God has in store for you will come to you. Take care of you mental health.

January 9, 2009 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |
  4. Uncle S.A.M.

Sarah Palin is the humor of the week

January 9, 2009 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |
  5. Charlie in Maine

Dear Gov Palin,

Your policies are wrong. Your way of expressing yourself has stirred others to an unacceptable level of anger. I don't need to know you personally to know that you would be bad for our counrty. I will defend you to my freinds and coleagues when you are attacked personally, especially with regards to your family.

While I am quite sure that I would never vote for you I do wish you and your family the best.

January 9, 2009 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |
  6. Naomi

if you can't play with the big dogs, stay in alaska. What do a sommelier and sarah palin have in common? wine, whine, wine, whine.

January 9, 2009 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |
  7. Barack wins and America loses

The Media was outrageous on how it when out of its way to promote Barack and discredit Sarah Palin.

We now have to eat liberal pie and we will be sick of it in a very short time, as our taxes and our debt will go through the roof.

Hang on to your wallets as Barack is about to suck it dry.

Gov't should get out of the way not be in our way with ever increasing wasteful spending and taxes. We will be the real losers even though the media and Barack were winners in November. Our country and our ideals of freedom and capitalism will be under siege for the next two and four years.

January 9, 2009 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |
  8. watcher

The media descended on Palin more visciously than a pack of hungry attack dogs fighting over a steak.

January 9, 2009 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |
  9. Moonbeam

I realize that it is very cold and mostly dark in Alaska right now and two out of only tree industries Alaska has (oil, fishing and tourism) are shut down.
    But, surely, Governor Palin has many other concerns and important tasks to keep her busy, right? Right?!
    And if she doesn't, than this country does! Would someone, please, tell her that she is not important. It breaks my heart but it must be done!

January 9, 2009 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |
  10. obama-mama

I know what Sarah's problem is. She lacks maturity and self confidence. If I was in her position, I wouldn't give a rat's behind what the media or anyone else thought about me. Her problem is that she knows in her heat that she is a fraud. Most people in her position don't sit around and dwell on what folks are saying about them especially if they are on the up and up. I've said things about her on these postings but maybe she should tell everyone to go (I don't need to finish it).....

January 9, 2009 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |
  11. Glenn

What a waste of time! Doesn't she have a full-time job as governor of Alaska? Go govern your state and stop complaining all the time!

January 9, 2009 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |
  12. Lisa V

Cripes! I am a Democrat, and you think I would love these kind of opportunities to blast Palin, but even I am starting to get tired of bi-weekly Palin quotes. I hope she is not going to keep this up over the next four years! She needs to just quit and get on with her life. She is getting so bad, I am starting to feel sorry for most Republicans. I do not think she represents them well, at all.

January 9, 2009 12:06 pm at 12:06 pm |
  13. BM

This lady is clearly a moron and she has been exposed. It's easy to blame others and make excuses when you have shown the world how you are lacking in knowledge. Katie Couric was simply doing her job and the questions asked, a fifth grader could have answered.
    The only reason she was made governor and mayor of Alaska because if the majority of people are high school dropouts, like her daughter and the father,she was seen to be very capable. Perhaps her winking and alright looks captivated a backwards state.
    The lady needs to vanish from the spotlight, because the more she appears, only reminds the people how inept she really is.

January 9, 2009 12:06 pm at 12:06 pm |
  14. barbara

Get over it! Admit your mistakes and move on. I have gained a lot of respect for Senator McCain for his professionalism following the election. Gov. Palin – you should take a cue from him.

January 9, 2009 12:06 pm at 12:06 pm |
  15. KD

Can you please just go away, scrutiny is par for the course when you are in the public eye, It has always been this way, and, will always be that way. No one gets special treatment.

January 9, 2009 12:06 pm at 12:06 pm |
  16. Matt

So, read the first paragraph of this article again. The things that she complains about are ALMOST exactly what she did to Barack Obama during the election. The difference is that what the media were saying about her was true – you can't deny what you saw from those news interviews.

January 9, 2009 12:06 pm at 12:06 pm |
  17. I

Palin's right about something for once..."making it difficult for many Americans to believe what they see in the media"

I'm still in disbelief that she was ever on the national scene, and that she's still here and won't go away.

January 9, 2009 12:06 pm at 12:06 pm |
  18. Enough already!

Could the media PLEASE, PLEASE stop reporting on every utterance of this moronic dilletante?

January 9, 2009 12:06 pm at 12:06 pm |
  19. Dylan

It's really hard to take Sarah Palin seriously when she does interviews with turkeys being slaughtered right behind her, when she can't name a newspaper, when she doesn't even know what the $700 billion went for...

She always complains about the media...maybe if she wasn't a joke, they'd leave her alone.

January 9, 2009 12:06 pm at 12:06 pm |
  20. Stacie E Skelley

Let her keep complaining. Totally proves why she wasn't ready and why she's totally irrelevant.

January 9, 2009 12:07 pm at 12:07 pm |
  21. Ben

Why is this woman still in the news?

January 9, 2009 12:07 pm at 12:07 pm |
  22. republicans hate america

so tell me what did you mean be real america fake america Palin? you are so stupid and the stupid people that follow you all need to jump into a boiling hot volcano

January 9, 2009 12:07 pm at 12:07 pm |
  23. jackie ohio

What ever !!!! It seems to me that you miss them I haven't heard much on you and you are not the news anymore along with Joe the plummer (idiot)!!!!! so just do what you need to do in alaska and stay out of the national news Good By

January 9, 2009 12:07 pm at 12:07 pm |
  24. BUSH BEGOND AND NOW 82% OF AMERICA AGREES, FINALLY!

When kids have unprotected sex that results in a "blessing" and do not give the blessing up for adoption, then the parents immediately become adults and are fair game, especially when they get a job due to the half-wits influence and therefore, taking the job away from someone that actually was qualified and had a high-school diploma.

So, Palin, just between us adults, have the high school drop-outs had the shot-gun wedding yet?

January 9, 2009 12:08 pm at 12:08 pm |
  25. gl, Pittsburgh

I am starting TO think Sara Palin ego is too big for her and she wants to say in the media. What she fell to reAlized is she can not compete with Obama World. The media love Obama and she will have a hard time getting any positive coverage. So my adivse to her is to go away before she really damage her image to even considered running in 2012 against THAT ONE!

January 9, 2009 12:08 pm at 12:08 pm |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59