January 12th, 2009

Beyonce, Jamie Foxx among stars to appear at inaugural kickoff

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/images/01/12/art.beyonce.gi.jpg caption="Beyonce will be among the stars to appear at the inaugural kickoff event."](CNN) - The opening celebration of the presidential inauguration will feature a massive line-up of musical all-stars performing a free show in the shadow of the Lincoln Memorial, the Presidential Inaugural Committee said Monday.

The event will feature performances by: "Beyonce, Mary J. Blige, Bono, Garth Brooks, Sheryl Crow, Renee Fleming, Josh Groban, Herbie Hancock, Heather Headley, John Legend, Jennifer Nettles, John Mellencamp, Usher Raymond IV, Shakira, Bruce Springsteen, James Taylor, will.i.am, and Stevie Wonder," said the committee. "Among those reading historical passages will be Jamie Foxx, Martin Luther King III, Queen Latifah and Denzel Washington."

The release confirmed that Rev. Gene Robinson, an openly gay Episcopal bishop, will deliver the invocation, and that additional performances may be added.

The event will be televised by HBO on an open signal accessible to all U.S. viewers with access to cable, telcos or satellite television.

Filed under: Inauguration
  1. Frank

I guess Fred G can't read. He obviously did not see the long list of performers joining Beyonce. A very mixed group I might add...

Bless his heart.

January 12, 2009 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  2. EW

This inauguration turns into a bigger farce every day. Why is there a need to turn a once grand and respected ceremony into a Hollywood sideshow?

January 12, 2009 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  3. Franky

I don't know but I think Beyonce is loosing it!! An alter ego?? The last time I remember I had an alter ego was when I thought I was my boy MJ for the Bulls. That's what happens when your mind gets exposed like that...is not good and sometimes, is bad.

January 12, 2009 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  4. Dan

Wasn't Al Sharpton invited?

January 12, 2009 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  5. ChrissyOne

If Bad Brains won't be there, neither will I.

January 12, 2009 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  6. President Barack Obama

Fred, Tim
    It's ok….Repeat after me.
    President Barack HUSSEIN Obama. You can do it, come on.
    Now you say it……. Barack HUSSEIN Obama. Dont you like how that sounds. Has such a nice ring to it. I know you will be glued to the television on Jan 20th to see President Barack HUSSEIN Obama get Sworn In. Make sure you TIVO it so you can watch it OVER, OVER, OVER, OVER, Again!

In the words of Rick James …..It's A Celebration ….B—tch's!!!

January 12, 2009 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  7. Minneapple gal

I wish I can be there
    oh well there is alwatys YouTube

January 12, 2009 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  8. Empty people voted for an empty suit

Continuous fluff BS,will the media EVER really look into Eric Holder or Panetta or other cabinet selections for their "issues" and reasons why THEY SHOLD NOT BE PART OF THE CABINET?

Some GOOD picks, some SCARY ones as well.

Three main campaign points, taxing the rich, closing gitmo and ending the Iraq war YESTERDAY,and all three he is going back on, but he is so coooooooooooooool.......

Can we get any objectivity or is it going to be a "fawning festival" for four more years?

I use the term "MORE", as we have already gotten it for two full years already.

January 12, 2009 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  9. KW-nc

I hope we can all do the "Electric Slide" too! I can't wait to get there.
    Obama 08 & 12

January 12, 2009 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  10. Hector

Obama should fit right in with all the celebrites....he loves actors and entertainers because they help sway sheep his way

January 12, 2009 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  11. Michelle

I don't even know what telcos is. They should show this on broadcast television so everyone can watch it, regardless of whether they use cable.

January 12, 2009 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  12. NC=Blue in 2008

This is supposed to be a celebration, so everyone stop hating. This is part of the day, the festivities, and the moment. He deserves to have a party – just like the other 43 Presidents before him! Stop sweating him! It is so tiring!

If you wanna hate, you don't have to watch (but we all know you will be...).

I'll see you all in DC - only 8 more days to go!!!

January 12, 2009 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  13. zzzzz

Sounds like a party to me!!

January 12, 2009 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  14. alan

Hey Tired guess what? We don't live in Gaza!!!

January 12, 2009 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  15. Bo

My wife and daughter, and mother -in-law with a bus load of supporters will be there to witness the historic event. I will be at home with my two sons watching form TV after work and school.

January 12, 2009 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |
  16. TESAP;SAVANNAH, GA

??? MAYBE TAKE B OFF AND ADD PATTI PATTI...... SHE IS A BIT OVERRATED.....................

January 12, 2009 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  17. Mr. 8bit

What's with the "HUSSEIN" thing? It's just a name. I didn't chose my name. Most of us don't. Now, if Obama grew a Hitler-mustache... then I'd be worried.

Say it with me: If Obama grew a Hitler-mustache... then I'd be worried.

Feels good.

*snicker*

January 12, 2009 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  18. jaye

This will be a great show!
    I hope every African American person in show business is invited to perform!!!!
    The Black population has been ignored way too long in these political festivities – it's as though they never existed until now.
    It's time to end the republican racism in America.

January 12, 2009 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  19. Bridgette-PA

BARACK OBAMA HATERS -– You don't have to turn on your T.V. that day. Go make yourself useful by washing cars for free or something. You may also leave this country. I promise you, you will not be missed!

January 12, 2009 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  20. alan

People are dying right here too, or haven't you heard? They have been dying in Iraq for the past 5 years I guess that's President Obama's fault too huh? get real.

January 12, 2009 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  21. Debby

Yep the economy is in the toilet, but yet Obama will have his star studded night. YAK

January 12, 2009 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  22. kayla

HATERS, GO AWAY. WITH BUSH AND THE REST OF RIGHT WINGERS

January 12, 2009 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  23. Trini for Obama

Gosh I wish I could attend! President Barack Hussein Obama!!! YEAH!!!!!

January 12, 2009 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  24. Barack wins and America loses

Whoop Di Do, who really cares, when they are out of work. Just more style and less substance is what we are about to be force fed for four years.

January 12, 2009 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |